Rowett minimum expectations for 17/18

Day

Rowett Expections  

315 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, DerbyMark said:

Oh I dunno... you'ed have to go back a fair bit to when we were struggling to get 20k... unlike Leeds, for example.

Think the indifference created by the mediocrity of the Nigel Clough years had seen attendance's tumble to about 20-21k before McLaren took over first time round.

Prior to that you'ed probably have to go back to the dark days of the 3 amigos..

Our gates have been pretty consistently up around the 30k mark for some considerable time... unlike Leeds and Wednesday.

Forest's gates have been consistently poor in comparison.

Start of 13/14 season. First home game vs Blackburn. 21,000

Macs first game v Leeds 26000 with 4,500 Leeds there

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, DerbyMark said:

Oh I dunno... you'ed have to go back a fair bit to when we were struggling to get 20k... unlike Leeds, for example.

Think the indifference created by the mediocrity of the Nigel Clough years had seen attendance's tumble to about 20-21k before McLaren took over first time round.

Prior to that you'ed probably have to go back to the dark days of the 3 amigos..

Our gates have been pretty consistently up around the 30k mark for some considerable time... unlike Leeds and Wednesday.

Forest's gates have been consistently poor in comparison.

So before we were challenging for promotion our attendances were about 20k, so are we really much bigger than most teams in this division?

I imagine any team that got promoted from this division would fill their ground every week in the Premier League.

44 minutes ago, DerbyMark said:

13/14?

Yeah just checked that... surprisingly average gates really!

Only 3 home gates of over 30,000..

And they were against Forest, Chelsea in the Cup, and Brighton in the play-offs!

Fair do's... I got it wrong!

I still think it's fair to say Derby get as good numbers as anyone considering our standing. 

We can be pretty proud of the fact we are hitting high 20k's on a regular basis when fighting for top 6. Plenty of other clubs wouldn't and don't hit that. 

Derby are well backed by any standards. 

I just don't think that counts for anything other than pride. 

A lot of fans that haven't come to Pride Park to watch their own team will likely have no idea what our attendances are.

And when it comes to having power then i'd say there's nothing Derby could offer that Reading couldn't. Unfortunately Reading are just as 'big' as Derby. :(

5 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Not the point. The thread is more 'what would he have to do to not be deemed a failure' there are not 23 failures in the division each year. Very black and white view on things. Finishing 7th having completely revamped the squad, bringing the wage budget down and lowering the average age of the squad couldn't be seen as failure surely?

I take your point but disagree, we have spent millions......millions of pounds...anything less than top is a failure, a total failure....as I have said so many times before, my dog could get a team promoted out of this division with 50 million to spend.

26 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I take your point but disagree, we have spent millions......millions of pounds...anything less than top is a failure, a total failure....as I have said so many times before, my dog could get a team promoted out of this division with 50 million to spend.

Is he free around November time?

27 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Does your dog live in Mexico?

Sorry @BrisVegas

No man could resist.

6 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Surely lowering the wage bill and average age of the squad is being done to improve the squad? 

So if that is the case an improvement in league position should follow?

If the above measures are being done for financial reasons then questions should be being asked of other people rather than the manager and players...

Well in the long run it will but in the short term thats not always the case as younger players 'tend' to be less consistent also they'd probably be making a step up. I guess the thing is, if our squad is looking healthier and less likely to financially cripple us if anything were to happen to Mel then I'd be happy with just missing out on play offs. If the squad remains bloated and, ageing and on astronomical wages then I'd be disappointed that we haven't progressed in terms of position. 

5 hours ago, 86 points said:

Yeah, I get the subtext. I've no ITK links so no idea how much value to attest to the rumours. That said, I don't thin it'll take Rowett long to suss out who can be trusted and relied upon and who can't if the stories are true. I'd be anxious about letting all of the players you cite leave but I guess if they did we'd have to place our trust in Rowett to replace them. I have to say that I've very little faith in our scouting and recruitment operations which seem to have been utter pants for yonks now. I know we've had a clear out post-Mac but I'll lack confidence until there's evidence to suggest we've turned the corner in that regard. Hopeful though!

Any rumours are only tenuous at best but like I say I'm happy to get rid of anyone that believes their own hype and puts themselves ahead of the club in terms of priorities. and I mean anyone including our favourites. 

32 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Surely based on that we should aim to finish second behind aston villa as they have spent more than $50m???? 

5 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

You say that like we are the only ones. What about Villa who have spent a lot more this season alone. THere will be another 3 relegated teams with premiership (currently) standard players that will have parachute payments to boost their playing staff.

i think we'd all love to win the championship, but expecting it is ridiculous mate. GS also ridiculous to say anything less than top is a failure. What about second? Or getting promotion through the play offs. Same end result which is getting into the prem.

On 26/03/2017 at 13:37, G STAR RAM said:

So before we were challenging for promotion our attendances were about 20k, so are we really much bigger than most teams in this division?

I imagine any team that got promoted from this division would fill their ground every week in the Premier League.

Yeah I suppose so..

But come on guys....we are Derby, we are DERBY!! 

Altogether now...lol

18 hours ago, reveldevil said:

I expect us to finish top 6.

Doesn't mean I'll lose my head if we don't though, as long as it's fun I'm not really bothered where we finish.

I hope Mel adopts your attitude. Stability please!

We've been here a few times before.

The answer is always going to be down to two things:

a) Does Mel think that we have improved enough?

b) Does Mel think that we can improve still further under Gary Rowett the current manager?

As for me, I've gone for 7th to 10th, but I'm not that bothered really.

On 3/27/2017 at 23:05, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

I'm still sticking with this one. ?

Do you mean 1st-21st?

I appreciate the call for stability but I'd rather we didn't get relegated tbh.

1 hour ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Nope.

So you're comfortable with getting relegated as long as we don't finish last? 

• 1 year later...

Rowett has met my minimum expectations of making the Play-Offs. It didn't look likely for quite a while but we go into the semi-final high on confidence IMO. Here's hoping for a good performance and result on Friday.

Archived