Rowett minimum expectations for 17/18

Day

Rowett Expections  

315 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, CumbrianRam said:

To still be here this time next year, he needs to avoid a bad two months, if he doesn't Mel will be packing his bags.

Do you think Mel knows we are unlikely to get any points  in June and July?

9 hours ago, cannable said:

Rowett has to decide what system he wants to employ going forward and then sell and replace as required. Big earners, star players… whoever.

Not knocking your opinion it's just for me I feel we have totally over complicated all this formation / system business for far too long and it's become an easy get out excuse for players and managers alike , yes there's gonna need to be a small bit of jiggling to make the squad better balanced but better balanced for rowett to be able to tweak ,adjust our team when needed to meet a variety of situations we will and do face in a long championship season , rowett is refreshingly not allowing himself to be tied down by a set in stone formation / system that he will rigidly buy players for that can for some mystical reason only be able to play in once they join us , even the squad we have now is far better balanced than people give credit for to be able to be flexible ,, I have said before that the addition of a very decent midfielder that can pass ,tackle and read a game would be massive ,, the return of Thorne may be that player but maybe good or better cover for him is need too , with the return of Martin we have an array of attacking styles and options too , 

good players listen to good managers , they work on training grounds to learn their role in a team and they run through walls to carry out any role a good manager gives them rather than spit their dummies and say well don't blame me it's not my best position or I can only play in a midfield 3,, attitude over a long season is the key ingredient once you have a semi decent squad and that's rowetts role ,he needs to earn the respect of the players to get them playing for him and earn the respect of Mel to be allowed to replace any players that don't play for him 

I have voted 7th to 10th because I feel we all need to rein in our expectations if we are to get back on track with our quest for promotion. 

Of course I hope for better, but that should be the bonus for backing the team and encouraging them on. The most important thing is to rebuild confidence in their approach, and we can only play a part in that if we are realistic and committed supporters.

1 hour ago, DerbyMark said:

I feel play off's has to be the minimum expectation for a club of this size. End of..

Plenty of bigger ones that will be thinking the same though Mark.. 

Villa, Leeds, Wednesday, Forest, Sunderland will want the same if not autos. Then there will be plenty of hopefuls that are currently better than us. 

Its going to be tough. 

3 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Plenty of bigger ones that will be thinking the same though Mark.. 

Villa, Leeds, Wednesday, Forest, Sunderland will want the same if not autos. Then there will be plenty of hopefuls that are currently better than us. 

Its going to be tough. 

No doubt it's going to be tough... this is a helluva league to get out of. But currently 58% of the poll agree with me that we gotta be aiming for top 6 at the very least.

I'll give you Sunderland and Villa as bigger clubs...maybe Leeds, though like Wednesday their crowds have only come back since their results have improved..

Forest? Nah, not havin that one!

On 23/03/2017 at 19:44, reveldevil said:

Reminds me of when Jim Smith took over from Roy Mac.

We'd spent loads for our division, then Jim came in, trimmed it, spent a underwhelming amount of money on players we'd not heard of, and took us back to the big league!

Lets prey gaz raz can conjure up the same sort of result

lets just give him time and patience 

Im confident he will if given it 

On 23/03/2017 at 19:17, NottsRam77 said:

Makes me laugh/ despair

we all sit here and to a man i bet we pretty much all agree that this side needs pulling apart and starting all over

yet at the same time it appears the majority will be sitting at PP next season and if we're not in the play off mix then rowett will start feeling the same heat as previous, dare i say it theres a boo or two cos we're not smashing sides as a finely oiled cohesive unit or the football isnt as good as when mac was here first time round which will no doubt get banded about if things dont hit the ground running.

mel gets itchy and here we go again

ok perhaps over dramatising it, but u know what im saying

good things comes to those that wait

(Granted weve been waiting for what seems like ever but u get the jist lol,) 

Does Mel know this? :p

On 22 March 2017 at 13:30, MuespachRam said:

Top, why would you ever go into a season aiming for anything else..? 

I think you've missed the point of the thread aha. It isn't what we're aiming for but what would be the minimum we are happy with? 

Dont worry I also misread it and put play offs as I believe that's where we should be aiming but realistically as long as there's visible progress on the pitch 7th to 10th would be fine. 

On 23 March 2017 at 21:09, 86 points said:

Has to be play-offs. That's the metric every other recent appointment had stood or fallen by and given the added prep time he will have compared to the others I'd think top 6 ought to be a mandatory requirement. Otherwise, what was the point?

I would agree with this if we still have the same squad next season however if the squad has had major surgery then I believe there has to be a bit of wiggle room in terms of expectations especially if he is looking abroad for targets as it will take time to adapt to the English game? 

3 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

I think you've missed the point of the thread aha. It isn't what we're aiming for but what would be the minimum we are happy with? 

Dont worry I also misread it and put play offs as I believe that's where we should be aiming but realistically as long as there's visible progress on the pitch 7th to 10th would be fine. 

Well in hat case I wouldn't be happy with anything else than top, why would I be happy with losing...?

On 3/24/2017 at 16:18, DerbyMark said:

No doubt it's going to be tough... this is a helluva league to get out of. But currently 58% of the poll agree with me that we gotta be aiming for top 6 at the very least.

I'll give you Sunderland and Villa as bigger clubs...maybe Leeds, though like Wednesday their crowds have only come back since their results have improved..

Forest? Nah, not havin that one!

Aiming for the top 6 is the mentality we need but we also need a bit of calm when we don't reach them if it turns out that way.  Not class it as failure as a fair few do on here. 

Come on, Leeds and Wednesday both are bigger! It's not just home attendances which count, away attendances, honours and time spent in the top leagues.. both better. We should even add Forest, as much as it pains me to say. 

21 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Lets prey gaz raz can conjure up the same sort of result

lets just give him time and patience 

Im confident he will if given it 

Rowett been one of them in part exchange for Craig Short.

Archived