Last minute goals - the awful truth

admira

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

They have 2 watches, one that constantly runs and the other that stops. The one that stops is the one that will read 90 at the end of the game. 

It works in theory but according to OB on the moan in once; even with stoppage time the ball's only in play for 55 minutes, on average.

PistoldPete2
5 hours ago, cannable said:

It works in theory but according to OB on the moan in once; even with stoppage time the ball's only in play for 55 minutes, on average.

I don't know why they call it stoppage time... There's time added for injuries and for substitutions I think. Maybe for goals and penalties if you're lucky.  Other than that I don't think they stop the watch for goal kicks and throw ins.

17 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

so rowett isnt tactically inept when he handles the subs badly but mac was?

you really need to get some consistency into your statements as as far as i could see the result on saturday was no different to the last few games under mac. 

ill wait and see if rowett is able to improve the team before i make sweeping statements....

I think Ninos point was although it went wrong on Saturday in our "usual way" , at least Rowett recognised why and was furious ? 

Looking at the question brought up by some regards fitness or lack of ,,, it brought a nagging thought to my head ,, the best we have been in my opinion was when Mac took over that season from clough ? Yes clough had build a very good team spirit and ethos which then seemed to magically click under tweaks mclaren made and hey presto we looked fantastic ( brings a tear to my eye as we really looked a proper team ) ,,,,, could mclaren have been hugely aided by the fact that he had players who had gone through a clough preseason and seasons before and were mega fit ? It's kind of deteriated a bit under Mac and successive managers since then , yes I know we have had spells but not really sustained and fell away ,, Wembley loss was not fitness , we were just a little naive , a set of cool heads playing out the last few minutes to go into extra time would have seen us promoted

1 hour ago, jono said:

I think Ninos point was although it went wrong on Saturday in our "usual way" , at least Rowett recognised why and was furious ? 

Every manager we've had recently has "recognised" where were going wrong, they've just done naff all about it. 

The proof will be in the pudding, you can't congratulate GR for just saying things, we'll see if he actually improves things. 

22 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Looking at those stats, where would Forest be without their 8 injury time goals? 

5 points worse off. In 5 of the games (Brentford, Brighton, Cardiff, Blackburn and Leeds) their late goal didn't alter the result. So, their league position probably wouldn't be any different if you applied the same "goals in time added on don't count" to the goals they conceded and to the teams around them. 

1 hour ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Every manager we've had recently has "recognised" where were going wrong, they've just done naff all about it. 

The proof will be in the pudding, you can't congratulate GR for just saying things, we'll see if he actually improves things. 

Absolutely, but I have a sense that Mac was very good at saying it after the game, yet from reports on Saturday it seems as if GR was saw it there and then, very much as we do. You're right .. We'll know after the next couple of games if he gets it, can get his message received and acted on by the players. Ever the optimist I have hopes that he does. 

Of our last 4 managers GR sounds the most authentic to me. It's all language and presentation I suppose. We also have no idea what is said in training ..... but on what we do hear this is my interpretation. 

Mac .. Said all the right things but so many clichees 

Pearson .. Ponderous. Said little but made it sound important and considered

Clement .. Straightforward and honest but was so careful not to tread on toes publically 

GR .. Sounded like one of the better quality "match reports" on here - as if he had really SEEN the game 

42 minutes ago, jono said:

Absolutely, but I have a sense that Mac was very good at saying it after the game, yet from reports on Saturday it seems as if GR was saw it there and then, very much as we do. You're right .. We'll know after the next couple of games if he gets it, can get his message received and acted on by the players. Ever the optimist I have hopes that he does. 

Of our last 4 managers GR sounds the most authentic to me. It's all language and presentation I suppose. We also have no idea what is said in training ..... but on what we do hear this is my interpretation. 

Mac .. Said all the right things but so many clichees 

Pearson .. Ponderous. Said little but made it sound important and considered

Clement .. Straightforward and honest but was so careful not to tread on toes publically 

GR .. Sounded like one of the better quality "match reports" on here - as if he had really SEEN the game 

to be fair i think mac immediately saw what they were doing too judging by the way he went bright red and kicked a water bottle into space against preston...

the problem isnt recognising the problem its solving it and i wish GR all the best in solving it....its our major achilles heal

• 2 weeks later...

Any time I see Benty getting ready to come on when we're defending a slender lead I go from nervous to terrified. We sit stupidly deep for some reason as it is late on, Bents awful at holding the ball up when we do get it out and we also become more vulnerable at corners and such. 

That header off the post Friday night was down to him walking away from the man he was marking at the corner. I do like him for what he is but he's not the man to bring on at that stage if a game. I know we don't have many more options at the minute but there must be a better way? Razza/Anya to hold it in the corners? 

If we're chasing a goal then yes but not when holding on to narrow lead any more, please. My bum squeaks that much it makes the dogs bark.

On 20/03/2017 at 22:53, admira said:

The thread is entitled 'last minute goals'. The 90th minute is generally known as the last minute. 

<pedantry>

Absolutely, the 90th minute is the last minute, but all the goals shown had 90 or greater noted against them.

Minute 1 is 0:00 to 0:59

Minute 90 is 89:00 to 89:59

So a goal showing as being scored with 90 on the clock is actually scored in the 91st minute - the first minute of time added on for stoppages.

</pedantry>

I'm not disagreeing with you Admira - more reinforcing your point. 

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 02:14, admira said:

OK so I've crunched the numbers and the evidence is pretty damning.

Derby are the only team in the Championship not to score a goal in 90+ minutes this season and yet we have conceded 7.

Saturdays gut-wrenching Forest equaliser should have come as no surprise since they have scored 8 in the dying minutes of a game and only conceded 2.

So what's our problem? Clearly we switch off at the back-end of a game and this needs addressing.

The full stats:

90+ minutes goals scored:

TEAM / SCORED

Sheffield Wednesday  9
Fulham 8
Nottingham Forest 8
Reading 6
Barnsley 5
Blackburn Rovers 5
Brentford 4
Bristol City 4
Huddersfield Town 4
Leeds United 4
Newcastle United 4
Queens Park Rangers 4
Burton Albion 3
Cardiff City 3
Preston North End 3
Aston Villa 2
Birmingham City 2
Brighton & Hove Albion 2
Norwich City 2
Wigan Athletic 2
Wolverhampton Wanderers 2
Ipswich Town 1
Rotherham United 1
Derby County 0

90+ minutes goals conceded:

TEAM / CONCEDED

Rotherham United 7
Derby County 7
Blackburn Rovers 6
Brentford 6
Cardiff City 6
Wolverhampton Wanderers 6
Leeds United 5
Brighton & Hove Albion 5
Norwich City 5
Reading 4
Burton Albion 4
Sheffield Wednesday 3
Fulham 3
Aston Villa 3
Wigan Athletic 3
Nottingham Forest 2
Barnsley 2
Bristol City 2
Huddersfield Town 2
Queens Park Rangers 2
Birmingham City 2
Newcastle United 1
Preston North End 1
Ipswich Town 1

Thoughts?

The conceded table should be the other way around; i cheered for us making auto for a milisecond.

But seriously it's a good point. We HAVE to get to the bottom of it whether it is an issue of fitness, concentration, confidence/ fear or whatever. I'd only add that it's hardly a new phenomenon. Was it characteristic of us before the play off final?

On 20/03/2017 at 16:34, cheron85 said:

THAT is the Derby Way...

We've been doing it for years and years under a whole series of managers... 

good point, this is not just this season but has been going on for a few years now hanging on for the last quarter of most games i can remember. we seem to run out of steam for some reason you cant just blame the defense its the whole team maybe we need to buy players with more stamina

3 hours ago, EssendonRam said:

The conceded table should be the other way around; i cheered for us making auto for a milisecond.

But seriously it's a good point. We HAVE to get to the bottom of it whether it is an issue of fitness, concentration, confidence/ fear or whatever. I'd only add that it's hardly a new phenomenon. Was it characteristic of us before the play off final?

I can remember conceding a few towards the end of matches - but we were always 2/3 to the good

and it was a consolation goal !!

One thing's for sure....GR is more than aware of this!

Remember it was his Birmingham side who somehow managed to snatch two goals in injury time after we'd outplayed them for 90 mins...

I remember leaving that game with the clock on 89 thinking it had been a comfortable 2-0... couldn't believe it when I heard it finished 2-2!

And as for this season...well your more or less expecting us to concede late on!

On 03/21/2017 at 14:26, jono said:

You mean to say that GR might understand the game and see things as well as the fans do!?

We're in for a real treat if he sees the game as well as some of the experts on here :thumbsup:

Archived