Last minute goals - the awful truth

admira

OK so I've crunched the numbers and the evidence is pretty damning.

Derby are the only team in the Championship not to score a goal in 90+ minutes this season and yet we have conceded 7.

Saturdays gut-wrenching Forest equaliser should have come as no surprise since they have scored 8 in the dying minutes of a game and only conceded 2.

So what's our problem? Clearly we switch off at the back-end of a game and this needs addressing.

The full stats:

90+ minutes goals scored:

TEAM / SCORED

Sheffield Wednesday  9
Fulham 8
Nottingham Forest 8
Reading 6
Barnsley 5
Blackburn Rovers 5
Brentford 4
Bristol City 4
Huddersfield Town 4
Leeds United 4
Newcastle United 4
Queens Park Rangers 4
Burton Albion 3
Cardiff City 3
Preston North End 3
Aston Villa 2
Birmingham City 2
Brighton & Hove Albion 2
Norwich City 2
Wigan Athletic 2
Wolverhampton Wanderers 2
Ipswich Town 1
Rotherham United 1
Derby County 0

90+ minutes goals conceded:

TEAM / CONCEDED

Rotherham United 7
Derby County 7
Blackburn Rovers 6
Brentford 6
Cardiff City 6
Wolverhampton Wanderers 6
Leeds United 5
Brighton & Hove Albion 5
Norwich City 5
Reading 4
Burton Albion 4
Sheffield Wednesday 3
Fulham 3
Aston Villa 3
Wigan Athletic 3
Nottingham Forest 2
Barnsley 2
Bristol City 2
Huddersfield Town 2
Queens Park Rangers 2
Birmingham City 2
Newcastle United 1
Preston North End 1
Ipswich Town 1

Thoughts?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whenever we're a goal ahead or level, for the last 5/10 minutes the defence just seems to drop too deep. We don't seem to have somebody capable of being a leader and dragging us 10/15 yards up the pitch when needed

Has to be a lack of concentration, I cannot remember us finishing a game strongly this season. Those statistics are absolutely shameful, and if I was rowett I'd be showing the players those and demanding they act on it, far too many points have just been thrown away by an inability to see the game to an end

It's because we don't score enough, we don't change games with goals. Saturday was a classic example of our season, you need to kill teams off. We find ourselves constantly in a situation where teams have incentive to go for it late on. I read we haven't even scored in something stupid like 16 games this season. We have so little cutting edge going forward, a good team would have murdered Florest second half on Sat. Bagged 4 and gone home happy.

This is why we get so nervous, we keep wasting good positions and chances and moving deeper and deeper as the confidence drops and the other side senses we aren't going to kill them off.

50 minutes ago, admira said:

OK so I've crunched the numbers and the evidence is pretty damning.

Derby are the only team in the Championship not to score a goal in 90+ minutes this season and yet we have conceded 7.

Saturdays gut-wrenching Forest equaliser should have come as no surprise since they have scored 8 in the dying minutes of a game and only conceded 2.

So what's our problem? Clearly we switch off at the back-end of a game and this needs addressing.

The full stats:

90+ minutes goals scored:

TEAM / SCORED

Sheffield Wednesday  9
Fulham 8
Nottingham Forest 8
Reading 6
Barnsley 5
Blackburn Rovers 5
Brentford 4
Bristol City 4
Huddersfield Town 4
Leeds United 4
Newcastle United 4
Queens Park Rangers 4
Burton Albion 3
Cardiff City 3
Preston North End 3
Aston Villa 2
Birmingham City 2
Brighton & Hove Albion 2
Norwich City 2
Wigan Athletic 2
Wolverhampton Wanderers 2
Ipswich Town 1
Rotherham United 1
Derby County 0

90+ minutes goals conceded:

TEAM / CONCEDED

Rotherham United 7
Derby County 7
Blackburn Rovers 6
Brentford 6
Cardiff City 6
Wolverhampton Wanderers 6
Leeds United 5
Brighton & Hove Albion 5
Norwich City 5
Reading 4
Burton Albion 4
Sheffield Wednesday 3
Fulham 3
Aston Villa 3
Wigan Athletic 3
Nottingham Forest 2
Barnsley 2
Bristol City 2
Huddersfield Town 2
Queens Park Rangers 2
Birmingham City 2
Newcastle United 1
Preston North End 1
Ipswich Town 1

Thoughts?

Hopefully GR is fully aware of these stats as well as the one about goals conceded from corners. 

12 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Doubt it as we beat them 3:0 

Ahh thought we'd played them early season away under Pearson but must be confusing them with Barnsley. Thought it would be funny if their only goal had come against us is all!

We don't have a team of winners. This view is also shared by someone I know who works at the club- everyone knows it. 

The mentality is not right. We don't expect to win and we don't fight and play 100 per cent until the final whistle.

I watched Leicester v Sevilla. Leicester's desire to win and their fight was incredible. They're a better team than us but the fight in that team was incredible. 

Lincoln City in the cup versus Burnley. Hunger and a will to win. 2013/14 we had it. Apart from that maybe 1995/6 and between 97 and 99 we had it- proper fight and determination. 

We have sat deep for far to long and we have carried little threat going forwards at that point, - one disappointing aspect for me is that we make substitutions to this or that wide player or centre forward and the replacements never seem to be involved either offensively or defensively resulting in an immediate deterioration of team play.

1 hour ago, Boss said:

Whenever we're a goal ahead or level, for the last 5/10 minutes the defence just seems to drop too deep. 

THAT is the Derby Way...

We've been doing it for years and years under a whole series of managers... 

Out of interest, how many of these goals have been from headers or set pieces?

It's inevitable when leading or drawing that as the game reaches the later stages you are going to face an aerial bombardment.

I think it's our inability to win the ball in the air as opposed to any other problem.

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Out of interest, how many of these goals have been from headers or set pieces?

Not sure but these are the 7 (and the final score)

Newcastle (H). L 0-2

Bristol C (A) D 1-1

Reading (A) D 1-1

Huddersfield (A) L 0-1

Cardiff (H) L 3-4

Preston (H) D 1-1

Forest (A) D 2-2)

So that's 10 points down the drain potentially. Puts us in the play-offs

It would be interesting to look at first half as well.

I am most likely oversimplifying things, but it feels like we have got through this season by playing well for about 30 minutes per game - from 40' - 70'.

The first 40 minutes and last 20 seem to have been an issue all season unless my mind is playing tricks on me.

We definitely seem to have a problem with concentration, fitness and strength in the last 20, but what explains starting games so badly too? It may not be reflected in goals, but I don't remember too many strong first halves from us this year.

Archived