Pat Murphy on Mel Morris

Red Ram

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SillyBilly said:

Good management is also trusting staff to deliver with their skillset, particularly if the "manager" is not a subject expert. Running over games with managers would be a lack of trust and respect for their abilities. Concerning, if true.

I know what you mean Billy, but context is everything. ... If I was Mel I would want to talk to the manager to learn and understand. At the same time you get to know your manager. ...

I have watched a lot of football and although I think I have an instinct for sport have a grasp of some things along with an opinion on just about everything ! I know for sure I am not an expert and there are wiser better informed heads. .. Seeking an understanding isn't necessarily meddling until the manager says player X was C**p and then Mel says send him to me or get rid or don't play him. 

I expect Mel to give Rowett time, to do the job he is employed to do it will take time, and I know with time Rowett will do a good job, we need stability now, more than anything, and if Rowtt is not given time, I and many others will not be happy, I am happy for what Mel has done by putting his money into the club, but he must let the football men run the playing side of things.

Sith Happens
22 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Are you expecting a hooded figure brandishing a machete on your doorstep tonight B4 ?

he will need more than that, dont you know B4 is the forums answer to Bruce Lee?

I think what happens this summer could shed more light on these comments from Pat Murphy. My hope is that wether true in the past or now, Mel steps back and gives Rowett the time he needs. Each swift sacking is only enhancing our problems.

Ice cold selfish half fan analysis on my part ....

1) Win at home 8 times out of 10 scoring above average number of goals per game

2) dont get relegated

3) play the ball on the floor (mostly)

4) be legal decent honest and truthful 

5) make sure stadium is well maintained and tickets and refreshments are sensibly priced 

6) support and help your away fans they are the heart of the club

7) be nice to the local press and institutions remembering they are our voice to you 

After that he can do what he wants ! 

I would absolutely love to watch the games back in an editing suite with the management team and ask about certain plays and decisions and tactics. If I were putting a milllion quid into the club every month, I'd probably require it. I'd learn something, but it's also a way of getting across to the management team what I expect of them.

In any company people have friendships with different people. If true, is Mel's relationship with some players a problem? I'd hope not. But it's something he has to be very careful about so as not to undermine his manager.

May I suggest one or two things to consider. Mel as chairman and owner is entitled to know what is happening at the club and his team manager's views and plans. He intervenes when it is clear that the manager is screwing up. And rightly so. It is his money involved and his desired intention to make the club successful.

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:
3 hours ago, reveldevil said:

At the 1st forum meeting with Mel, he showed us text messages he'd exchanged with McClaren after games.

I was a bit surprised, it seemed a distant way of communicating with his manager, and in hindsight, completely at odds with the things we've heard since about his alleged micro-management.

I remember posting at the time how he seemed to want to use his knowledge of successful business practices and adapt them to the football club, and how we'd be foolish not to give it a try.

It seems to me that he's met some resistance in that objective, not surprising really seeing as football is such a backwards thinking industry in many ways, possibly he's tried too hard, for instance the dressing room carpeting, the leadership group etc?

These would be standard practice in business, but frowned upon in football.

I hope we're now coming to the end of Mel's football apprenticeship, he's learning what works and what doesn't, and we'll have relatively plain sailing from here on in.

I'm absolutely 100% certain he doesn't ever expect to see his financial investment returned, so he does it for the glory, and let's be honest, we'd all like to share in that.

At the end of the Pat Murphy (who i have a lot of time for) clip, he says he expects Gary Rowett to have more success dealing with Mel than previous managers, so maybe Mac, Clement and Pearson's problem was not being able to manage up, neither mind the players.

I know I've given Mel some light hearted grief on here, but I'm hoping we've turned a corner now, no fool like an optimist I suppose.

I know, just what we need...another Mel thread :)

I'd suggest Mel-related threads will continue until there's ANY sign that he's tempered the manner in which he's running the club....and should continue as a sign of disapproval.

I sincerely hope I've missed some signs but why would Rowett's appointment be cause of itself to think he's finally learned and adapting???

As for Mel applying best practice from business, it depends what you're referring to. Leadership groups? Perfectly standard. Player empowerment? Standard also.

Communicating via text message with managers and players? Strong form of instant communication; nothing inherently wrong with it at all as long as it neither becomes the sole form of communication nor serves to usurp reporting lines.

And that's the problem: they're peripheral issues and 'motherhood' ones at that.

The core competencies of an executive are (a) where Morris has demonstrably failed thus far; and (b) where he defies even basic business practice, namely:

1. Define the objectives of the business over the immediate, medium- and longer-terms and the strategy underpinning them. Under the previous owners, Derby had that and stuck to it. Can anyone honestly argue that Morris has defined anything for the club other than in general terms?

2. Oversee the success criteria by which the objectives shall be measured. Put in place the structure which reinforces the objectives and the criteria for measuring success.

3. Recruit the best experts to fill the structure, give them their KPIs, and monitor their accountabilities.

To put it bluntly, if short term form fluctuations are leading to repeated sackings, then the plan is nonsensical and irrelevant.

4. "Trust but verify". It's an MBA maxim.

Essentially, it means that the reporting and monitoring of people, processes, policies and outcomes must be both sufficient to give clear and early warnings of deviations from expectations but also not so intrusive that it become an end in itself.

It never replaces the need to conduct root cause analysis.

I could go on but ?I won't.

On every level, Morris's discharge of his accountabilities since taking over our club has been abysmal. Every single one. 

1 hour ago, Seth's left foot said:

Journalists are trustworthy folk aren't they! 

On the whole they are, yeah. If you go into the newsroom at BBC Radio Derby, the Derby Telegraph or BBC Online, you will find many hard working, honest journalists. You get the bad eggs, but don't let that detract from the work that most of the good ones do and I would class Pat Murphy as one of those.

Archived