Spare a thought for Mel Morris

TommyPowell

1 hour ago, Gypsy Ram said:

Some of you harping on about Mel and his devine right to rule without criticism deserve to live in 70s china or current day north Korea.

ok so just list what you think he has done wrong to deserve such verbal abuse? what im saying is give the guy a chance  

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, David said:

And what exactly are your qualifications which make you more of a football man than Mel? As G Star said, he's been watching football long before you was in nappies. You are coming across as very arrogant, don't agree with his decisions that's fine, I don't agree with McClaren sacking either but I'm not going to sit here claiming I know better. It's all opinions.

I 've been watching the Rams well before Mel was in nappies - I'm not sure that tells you anything about either of us in terms of football knowledge.

One thing that is clear to me is that having pots full of money doesn't necessarily correlate with running a club well in footballing terms. Having one person with all the power , as sole owner , is not a good thing . Mistakes have been made in the last 2 seasons, though Mel Morris is not necessarily to blame for all of them.

You say that Mel has told you "he supports his managers 100% " which is easily contradicted by what has happened and is meaningless when he says it. MacClaren inherited a large unbalanced squad and had no chance to change this substantially before he was sacked

34 minutes ago, DRBee said:

I 've been watching the Rams well before Mel was in nappies - I'm not sure that tells you anything about either of us in terms of football knowledge.

My point was McLovin posting Mel knows nothing about football, he's not a football man which is not true. 

34 minutes ago, DRBee said:

You say that Mel has told you "he supports his managers 100% " which is easily contradicted by what has happened and is meaningless when he says it. MacClaren inherited a large unbalanced squad and had no chance to change this substantially before he was sacked

Backs his manager 100% was in regards to transfers. 

6 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Of course he can be criticised... Jeez the geezer ain't a saint, he is just a bloke with money who makes bad decisions.

i have no objection to him being criticised its the damned personal vitrolic comments that i object to

26 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

i have no objection to him being criticised its the damned personal vitrolic comments that i object to

But in your initial post you seem to be making the point that we should lay off him because he's put money into the club and it's his, which I find utterly ludicrous. The Americans put close to sod all into the club and we had that incredible 13/14 season as a result of it. Since Morris has come around waving his cheque book and making poor decisions, I genuinely believe we've declined as a team. Now it's not his fault that some of the buys have been duds, but it is his fault that he's gone against his 'derby way' vision of attractive football and hired negative footballing managers such as Pearson and Clement. 

I agree abusing the man isn't going to get us anywhere, but he above everyone else at this club deserves harsh criticism. It's his appointments that have continuously gone tits up and his impatience which has caused the changes we've had, hindering any potential progress and causing us to stagnate. A good chairman would have given Mac at least the summer to see what he can do instead of crumbling to player power after a loss to an absolutely exceptional Brighton side, that are quite frankly the best team in the division by miles. They're a perfect example of how patience is vital. Playoffs 13/14, new manager after disastrous 14/15 campaign around christmas, barely escaped relegation with no obvious improvement but still stuck with Houghton, been promotion contenders for the past two seasons.

I'm going to get behind Rowett regardless what happens and I hope Mel does too, because if we're around 8th next christmas and he sacks him it'll be another to add to the list of poor decisions effecting the progress of the club.

I know more about football than Mel. Evidently, I know more about football than our previous recruitment team too.

I knew Pearson would bomb. I knew our transfers in the summer of 2015/16 made very little sense. Knew the likes of Weimann and Bent wouldn't improve us in the slightest.

I am arrogant when it comes to Derby. But that's because I understand exactly the tools needed to help this squad. I understand exactly the type of players we should have steered well clear of.

I wouldn't last long as a chairman. If I had been in charge and whoever (McClaren or Clement) came to my door with their list of transfer targets reading Weimann, Bent, Pearce, Shackell, Blackman, Camara, Vydra, Anya etc. I would have turned around and said NO. But doing so, I'm not exactly putting much faith in the manager.

Having said that. Mel is the guy who employs these managers. How could it be that I knew Pearson was a terrible idea, but he didn't. How could he not see that? Probably because he isn't a football man, and doesn't understand the concept of systems, an identity and recruiting to a particular system.

Mel spoke so much of copying the Southampton/Swansea model, yet his managerial choices have totally contradicted this. Why? Is it because he doesn't really understand how it all works? Most likely.

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I know more about football than Mel. Evidently, I know more about football than our previous recruitment team too.

I knew Pearson would bomb. I knew our transfers in the summer of 2015/16 made very little sense. Knew the likes of Weimann and Bent wouldn't improve us in the slightest.

I am arrogant when it comes to Derby. But that's because I understand exactly the tools needed to help this squad. I understand exactly the type of players we should have steered well clear of.

I wouldn't last long as a chairman. If I had been in charge and whoever (McClaren or Clement) came to my door with their list of transfer targets reading Weimann, Bent, Pearce, Shackell, Blackman, Camara, Vydra, Anya etc. I would have turned around and said NO. But doing so, I'm not exactly putting much faith in the manager.

Having said that. Mel is the guy who employs these managers. How could it be that I knew Pearson was a terrible idea, but he didn't. How could he not see that? Probably because he isn't a football man, and doesn't understand the concept of systems, an identity and recruiting to a particular system.

Mel spoke so much of copying the Southampton/Swansea model, yet his managerial choices have totally contradicted this. Why? Is it because he doesn't really understand how it all works? Most likely.

You need to stop being so modest.

Sith Happens
3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Amazing insight. Wouldn't drop me a pm with tonights lottery numbers would you? 

He's not a football man??????????

how many owners of clubs come in as football men ???? 

Ok so my bet is zero but may be wrong there may be a handful you can name at a lower level

so what's the answer ??? Employ football people to help run things?

seems to me that's what he is trying to do ,,obviously feels Sam rush is right so has kept him on.

he is very ruthlessly trying to find the right manager who can ,,a,do the job and ,b have a good working relationship with

this last area is where he has made mistakes and fairly has opened himself up to some criticism and yes it worries me a bit but also I'm kind of glad that he is ruthless enough to get rid fast if he feels he has made a mistake with the managerial appointment rather than drag it out and waste time? 

Only time will really tell , I am interested to see how things progress when Mel feels he has the right manager in place ? Of course it may turn out that never happens and it is a case of Mel not being able to get past the odd run of bad results but hey it's very early days into what he sees as a very long term vision as owner so will hold back on making a definitive judgment on him just yet.

If I were to choose the next manager, I would go for the highest profile, managed at the highest

level, type of person that would realistically come to the Rams, and I'm sure that's what the

majority of fans would do also, given no professional background etc. But what do you do when

the team suddenly starts to lose, and the person you chose, doesn't seem to have an answer, or

be able to motivate the team to at least give 100% effort  - cause here we both agree, they have

to go. The very minimum requirement is to be able to motivate the team, I would have thought,

but you can't ask the players, "whats up for gods sake" cause that is a no no and undermines the

manager.  ie a no win situation and more criticism.

I do think GR will get it right thou, cause we are running out of candidates!

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

If you are that good, how come no football club is employing you in some capacity, no recognised media outlet either. How come Mel hasn't contacted you, or you contact him? 

I am sure he would listen if you represented your skill set, tell me how did that go?

13 hours ago, BobbyD said:

I gave you a like before even reading your narrative

Its astonishing the criticism that has been levelled at Mel

Would fans really prefer a wealthy  owner who didn't want to invest in the future of the club ? Who wasn't a local bloke with his hometown club at heart ? 

What is he supposed to do ? He backs the manager, they spend the money and blow it. Its not his fault. 

How would they feel if he was currently thinking of chucking the towel in and just selling out to the nearest taker ?

I do have some sympathy towards MM. His heart is obviously in the right place. However I do disagree with the above highlighted. Mac didn't spend a great deal at all and wasn't given time to show why he did buy and whether it would work in the end.

Others before him, yes.

I think the problem and it is a tough one, MM is a Derby fan and maybe too close when it comes to decisions of the heart ruling the head.

Lot's of Derby fans have their heroes and would love the opportunity to sit and chew the fat with them, MM can do this to his hearts content and maybe just maybe he has the players ears. Whether this is a factor I do not know.

No team in history has ever been successful by sacking managers every few months, it creates instability, paranoia and discontent among all the staff.

I love the fact that we have an owner that is passionate about the team and willing to pile his money in, but he needs to create that stability which will breed confidence and team spirit.

I was once told by a very good boss, that the best asset you can have is your manpower, get them onside and you can achieve anything.

9 hours ago, GerryDaly said:

I'm bewildered by people who have a go at Mel. 

Take Mel out of the equation and where exactly do you think DCFC stand ??

Other clubs are jealous of us re Mel .. hence the jibes .... 

Get with it. :thumbsup:

Serious question GD.. Why so many spaces between each line? Its hard to take your posts seriously.

I have this mental picture of you being about 16, that might be way off beam but... Nowt wrong with being 16, I was once :whistle: and some 16 year olds have good opinions and points.

You have an opinion, fine.. These one liners don't back your argument up. There are some excellent posts on this thread in support of Morris.. Backed up by explaining their thoughts. @uttoxram75 post in particular. 

Have a go, put together an argument, stand your corner.. Let's try with your second line.. Where do you think DCFC will stand without Mel? 

A lot of the criticism of Mel on this thread is being directed at the wrong person.  Disagree with the hiring and firing of managers? Fine, he does that and if you disagree, then criticise away. However, slating him for providing various managers with the funds to bring in the players they wanted is ridiculous. Slating him for not overriding the manager's football knowledge is ridiculous. Slating him for not having the same football knowledge as the manager is ridiculous. Pretending that you would do it differently if you were Chairman is ridiculous (some of the comments about how knowledgeable you are and what you would do are just laughable...), the comments deriding Mel for investing in the infrastructure are odd (er, what a scumbag, he's put heating in the concourses!).

Clearly, he is not beyond criticism and should not beyond criticism. Some of the comments just smack of people who want to be contrarians and will come up with any old bull to stick rigidly to their position whatever happens (you know who you are). Why can't people keep it balanced and keep it civil? I don't think we should've sacked Mac 1, Mac 2, Clement or Pearson (even though it was painful to watch). I would have given them all more time to get it right. When I heard the news about Mac2, I was surprised and annoyed (can't get any more than that about football) and disappointed and, fleetingly, wondered what the rest of football thought about the club and had a bit of a moan.  I somehow managed to feel like this without the need to abuse him on the internet.

I also then balanced my annoyance against the resources that Mel is able to put into the club, the investment already made on and off the pitch and the fact that he provides us with the best chance of success in the future. I'm prepared, for now, to accept a bit of strange decision making in the hope/expectation of him getting it right at some point.  I certainly don't blame him for the players we have bought. I don't blame him for backing the manager. I don't blame him for making decisions that he thinks are best for the club, even if they appear strange and pee me off a bit. I also don't want to castigate him for building the foundations of a club with investment in the acadamy and the stadium. They might not help much with what happens on a Saturday, but they don't make it any worse either.  No evidence at all to suggest that this investment is impeding investment in playing staff, so why would I care that much anyway?

For what it's worth, I wish he ran the club more in the style of GSE, but the vitriol is unwarranted in my opinion... I really don't want him to leave and take the potential we have to be a big club again with him.  

6 hours ago, TommyPowel said:

I agree and I don't believe I have crossed that line.. I just don't understand him and his decisions.. There seems to be no consistency since he came in.. The theory behind the Clement appointment was exciting and I was 100% behind this direction.. I liked Clement and was gutted when he left.. I am sure there were reason for that, we will never know 100% but we have to trust the club I suppose... After that I just scratch my head with decision after decision.. Good intentions? Absolutely ! The Derby way I am sure is along the lines of Southampton and Swansea, perfect and again 100% behind that but then throw in Pearson!! Change of direction? I agree with @Bris Vegas on this one.. Some of those decisions were clearly not going to work if the Southampton/Swansea model was to be followed.

At the end of the day, he has invested his money and I thank him for that. I just won't buy that point as making him above question. He can do pretty much what he wants , nobody to really answer to. Fine that is where we are and if he is a good chairman then we are laughing. However @McLovin also has a point when he points out that the Venky's were good businessmen and shocking club owners. 

Us as a fanbase and as customers have a right to ask a few questions now and then. Morris is a big lad, I am sure he understands that. We don't have to invest millions to have an opinion.

15 hours ago, TommyPowel said:

First let me say I find it complete  garbage the way some fans seen to have it in for MM and here is why they shouldnt

Ok some of his decisions havent met with universal approval but  surely after the amount of money he has pumped in the club he deserves the right to know exactly whats going on even to the extent of looking at the stats that are available( lets face it a lot of supporters are well versed in them so why not him)

On another thread there are suggestions who has to go for next year I think we all agree it needs to be a major pruning which in financial terms i would imagine that means a big loss against what was paid for them And who will shoulder that loss of course who made the money available to the likes of PC-SM and NP i cant see any of them offering to give back some of their compensation to cover the losses on the mistakes they made Oh yes and after all that we fans will be clammering for new signingss and where will that momeny come from?????????? So please please get off Mels back we might not agree with some things but at the end of the day he is doing what he believes is the best for the club we all love

I'm neither pro or anti MM. He puts up the money and that gives him entitlement to do as he pleases with Dcfc. That doesn't mean that I as a supporter of the club has to take the guy seriously.

Archived