Spare a thought for Mel Morris

TommyPowell

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, McLovin said:

Nope, being arrogant would be saying I know more about football than McClaren. Mel Morris isn't McClaren or a qualified football man. He is a businessman and a very good one but isn't a football man. He doesn't know more about football than you or I. I'm sure he has the  club's best interests at heart but spending money and instantly demanding success makes it look like to me that Morris is the arrogant one in my opinion. 

And what exactly are your qualifications which make you more of a football man than Mel? As G Star said, he's been watching football long before you was in nappies. You are coming across as very arrogant, don't agree with his decisions that's fine, I don't agree with McClaren sacking either but I'm not going to sit here claiming I know better. It's all opinions.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

He's probably been watching football 20 years before you was even born.

Just because you now get to watch pundits and repeat their stupid buzzwords does not make you any more knowledgable, well maybe it does in your own head.

How many games did Shackell play in the season before he joined us? And where is the quote from Neil saying BJ was not good enough for the premier league?

What does the duration of time watching football have to do anything? By your logic Steve Bruce is a manager than Guardiola or Klopp because he has watched football for longer? Morris is a fan, he isn't a qualified footballing person. I refuse to listen to pundits views because they are generic and many refuse to do proper in depth research about teams. If Morris was so knowledgeable about football then why did he expect this extremely unbalanced team to do well? 

18 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Mel Morris is a businessman, don't try and suggest he is a knowledgeable football person because he isn't. He may be a good businessman but so are Vincent Tan and the Venkies, doesn't make them knowledgeable about football. You're saying that real life football is different which I agree, it's Morris who is treating it like a game expecting the team to gel by splashing our cash and demanding instant success like a school child for the sake of it to make himself look good. Please remind me how much the 13/14 team cost in total? Probably less than Vydra and Johnson. The reason they did well is because every player had clear defined roles and responsibilities, e.g Dawkins the link player, Bryson the midfield runner, Hughes the creative player, Thorne the dictator, Martin to drop deeper, Bamford the free spirit to focus purely on attacking. Burnley sold Shackell because they had Michael Keane and Ben Mee ahead of Shackell and simply tried to get as much as they could for him which they did. They didn't miss him as they went up straight away. As for Johnson, Alex Neil said that Johnson wasn't good enough for the prem which is why they sold him, if that isn't surplus to requirements I don't know what is. 

Elements of what you're saying I agree with, but I think it's very unfair to suggest Mel is in this just to stroke his ego. You don't throw that kind of money at a football club if you're in it just for no.1. Personally I get the impression he's so passionate about it all, he can't detach himself. 

Just now, McLovin said:

What does the duration of time watching football have to do anything? By your logic Steve Bruce is a manager than Guardiola or Klopp because he has watched football for longer? Morris is a fan, he isn't a qualified footballing person. I refuse to listen to pundits views because they are generic and many refuse to do proper in depth research about teams. If Morris was so knowledgeable about football then why did he expect this extremely unbalanced team to do well? 

What are your football fan qualifications? I was not even aware any existed.

If you are so knowledgable where was your warning about this lack of balance when we were on our unbeaten streak?

4 minutes ago, David said:

And what exactly are your qualifications which make you more of a football man than Mel? As G Star said, he's been watching football long before you was in nappies. You are coming across as very arrogant, don't agree with his decisions that's fine, I don't agree with McClaren sacking either but I'm not going to sit here claiming I know better. It's all opinions.

Ok agree to disagree but I look forward to having this conversation again in a few years time. I'd happily admit egg in my face if I'm wrong, but I doubt it and it wouldn't surprise me if we had another 3-4 managers by them with Morris' obsession with achieving instant success by spending money when football doesn't work like that, Aston Villa being another example.

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

What are your football fan qualifications? I was not even aware any existed.

If you are so knowledgable where was your warning about this lack of balance when we were on our unbeaten streak?

I don't have any qualifications, just opinions but likewise Morris doesn't have any qualifications in football. If you look back at my previous posts,  I said that the team was unbalanced before and felt we needed at least another left winger , Cdm( which we got) and centre midfielder in January. @TheDeadlySaul can back me up on that because we had a conversation on it during the Norwich match thread.I felt the only good game we played in terms of performance was against forest and first half vs wolves but of course you probably chose to ignore that and probably called people like myself "negative"  during that period.

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I don't have any qualifications, just opinions but likewise Morris doesn't have any qualifications in football. If you look back at my previous posts,  I said that the team was unbalanced before and felt we needed at least another left winger , Cdm( which we got) and centre midfielder in January. @TheDeadlySaul can back me up on that because we had a conversation on it. I felt the only good game we played in terms of performance was against forest and first half vs wolves but of course you probably chose to ignore that and probably called people like myself "negative"  during that period.

Fair enough. Strange you thought we only need 3 new players when we have a squad of average players.

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Fair enough. Strange you thought we only need 3 new players when we have a squad of average players.

I said we only needed 3 players in January in those positions, would have been unrealistic and stupid(overpriced players) to make too many changes in January and that this season was always going to be a free swing after what happened with Pearson. I also re-call chatting to @brady1993 and I stated the time to judge the squad would have been in January 2018 when there would have been time for Mac to stamp his own authority on the team after 3 transfer windows.

If it wasn't working out in January 2018 with McClaren, then fair enough, I wouldn't contest Mel Morris removing him but I feel really passionate on this topic. I firmly believe he should have been given at least 3 transfer windows out to sort out this mess. Likewise, I'm going to give Rowett at least 3 transfer windows to sort out this mess.

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

If it wasn't working out in January 2018 with McClaren, then fair enough, I wouldn't contest Mel Morris removing him but I feel really passionate on this topic. I firmly believe he should have been given at least 3 transfer windows out to sort out this mess.

Mac may have been brought in to see if he could get the squad playing decent football, as a master coach,  that would be a reasonable assumption.

He may never have been earmarked as the person to overhaul the squad if it became apparent a good team could not be made out of the resources available. 

I know people have blasted the instability, but Mel does back the manager until he feels like it's going wrong. 

It must be difficult for someone with not an unlimited fund to trust someone in good faith with a relatively large chunk of it to see it go tits up and not get frustrated and make decisions. 

It's impossible to tell the future. Clement and Pearson seemed like reasonable choices for the position when they came in, Mel gave them the necessary funds to succeed and they stagnated, or in the latter's case, went backwards. 

If I give someone £50 to buy a mars bar and they come back with a small box full of mud and p*ss, I wouldn't be asking them to go get me a mars bar again. Put it that way. 

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Mac may have been brought in to see if he could get the squad playing decent football, as a master coach,  that would be a reasonable assumption.

He may never have been earmarked as the person to overhaul the squad if it became apparent a good team could not be made out of the resources available. 

I appreciate that G Star but questions need to be asked why he brought McClaren back in the first place then when the board never really trusted him to change the team. P.s sorry if I'm being abrupt to you personally, I feel very passionate on this topic and it annoys me how owners( not exclusive to Morris) demand instant success and think that managers will wave a magic wand and everything will be ok.

29 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Ok agree to disagree but I look forward to having this conversation again in a few years time. I'd happily admit egg in my face if I'm wrong, but I doubt it and it wouldn't surprise me if we had another 3-4 managers by them with Morris' obsession with achieving instant success by spending money when football doesn't work like that, Aston Villa being another example.

What conversation would that be, you claiming to be more knowledgable than Mel? I will say the same again. Football is about opinions, there is no test, no exam you can sit to claim superiority. 

You may have handled things differently than Mel and you're not alone, Rowett could be sacked by the end of the year but it still doesn't make you right. 

Having spoke to Mel several times, long conversations on the phone, one thing regularly comes up "I'll always back the manager 100%", you seem to have an image in your head of Mel rocking up in his Ferrari Monday morning with his chequebook, laptop with Football Manager installed and a burning desire to spend millions, scouting players and bringing them in without consulting the manager or Sam Rush. 

Yes the signings haven't been great, yes they have left us with an unbalanced squad but you're laying the blame on the wrong person, yes Mel could have said no but when that comes out as it will with an unhappy manager Mel would be accused of being tight, interfering. Lose/lose situation.

Manager appointments/sackings, yes, criticise Mel for these and ultimately this is down to him, I'm sure he takes Sam Rush's advice on board but he's the one sat in the throne.

As fans we only see what happens in the 90 minutes on the pitch, we're not privy to what goes on throughout the week, relationships break down between owner and manager, manager and players, players and owners, it happens, so whilst on the surface sackings may seem ludicrous it's not always as simple as looking at results.

18 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I appreciate that G Star but questions need to be asked why he brought McClaren back in the first place then when the board never really trusted him to change the team. P.s sorry if I'm being abrupt to you personally, I feel very passionate on this topic and it annoys me how owners( not exclusive to Morris) demand instant success and think that managers will wave a magic wand and everything will be ok.

I believe he was bought back to achieve what he did at first unfortunately he obviously couldnt maintain the stanard as the last few games showed

3 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

We do when we go every week.. Or does that not count?

That doesn't count. What counts is how many posts you have on this forum and how many likes you get. Going to games ... sheesh.

Archived