Spare a thought for Mel Morris

TommyPowell

I do wonder all those backing Mel would be doing the same if GSE/Andy Appleby had got rid of the same amount of managers in the same space of time? 

Im guessing not..... at a hunch 

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

I do wonder all those backing Mel would be doing the same if GSE/Andy Appleby had got rid of the same amount of managers in the same space of time? 

I guess it depends on what the real reasons for them going were. 

12 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

I would. Looking at the bigger picture the club is financially sound, the chaos is limited to the playing side.

Yes it is frustrating for supporters and does not look good in the press, and the gumps have an opportunity to laugh at us, quickly forgetting how screwed they are.

11 hours ago, McLovin said:

Put it this way, I wouldn't have stupidly sacked McClaren. Only a fool would have thought that this current squad should be in the play offs. McClaren was a victim of his own success. If McClaren's results were steady but not spectacular rather than going on that unbeaten run, he would still be here. Morris doesn't understand football and until he admits that and gets appropriate qualified advisors we will be having this conversation in 5 years time. 

Just had a look back through some threads. Notice you referred to Pearson as a 'brilliant' appointment...I rest my case

It seems that the main criticism aimed at Mel is with regard to management recruitment and retention. There have been five managers/head coaches employed under his tenure as chairman which I'm sure he would be the first to agree is not ideal. However, he can not be held responsible for Newcastle tapping up McClaren (or vice versa) which disrupted the club to the extent it did, leaving him no other option but to sack him when he did. His replacement Clement was being courted by at least 2 premier league clubs at the time and I'm sure most of us agreed at it was the correct appointment regardless of his lack of experience as a number one. It never worked out. The player recruitment was questionable the football being served up was dreadful and I for one was ok with the decision to change. Wassall was put in charge and was given nothing short of dogs abuse in a run that took us to an inch of a play off final. Again, Pearson on paper ticked alot of boxes was on more than one short list and then preceded to make a pigs ear of it. McClaren coming back raised eyebrows and smacked of desperation but the majority felt it was working with Christmas approaching. He won 2 out of 9 after new year and that form gets you the sack at any club with an eye on the big league.  Mel has more ambition for this club than any chairman since Lionel Pickering and Lionel made a few mistakes. I'm with Mel for the duration and besides, he bought me a scarf so I won't have a bad word said against him.

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Just had a look back through some threads. Notice you referred to Pearson as a 'brilliant' appointment...I rest my case

On 27/05/2016 at 16:57, McLovin said:

Fantastic decision and one I'm sure we won't regret. Great to see Chris Powell is back too, maybe it was him in the restaurant after all and not Johnson :lol:

I don't regret a second of it. 

13 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm pretty sure we can all look at past posts of all of us and think...... errrrr

45 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

I'm pretty sure we can all look at past posts of all of us and think...... errrrr

True but how many of us sit here and claim to know more about football than another person?

All opinions at the end of the day, nothing more we've all been right and wrong, no need to be arrogant 

13 hours ago, McLovin said:

I understand more about football than Mel Morris as I'm sure 90% of users on this forum do. You need stability to do well. Expecting this team to be higher up and competing for promotion is delusional because the squad is extremely unbalanced in every sense and certainly wasn't McClaren's fault.Everyone and their dog could see where we needed to improve after the play off final defeat but we ended up spending it on a bunch of crap who didn't fit the system and happy to steal a living. The way he has wasted the money on signings, he couldn't have done a worse job if he tried!

Just because we have players who once played in the premier league doesn't  mean that they're any good now. 

That seems to be an argument for never sacking the manager ever - because every change in playing staff has been directly attributable to the change in manager.

Mel Morris backed managers financially, yet he is to blame for wasting his money on players who were not as good as the ones they were brought in to replace?

Do 90% of the users of this forum think that too, or is that just down to your uncanny knowledge about football?

12 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

There's a couple of things wrong with this post. It's 2017 not 2k whatever. 

Its not expressing frustration, we're all frustrated almost beyond endurance, it's the childish way of expressing it I think we'd like to stop. Reasoned and proper opinions are the heart of football but stupid sweary rants are not doing the club or the fans any credit at all. 

When you are bashing the keyboard with your face, you might easily hit a 'k' instead of a '0'.

Making the 'k' upper-case though, that's quite another matter.

13 hours ago, McLovin said:

I understand more about football than Mel Morris as I'm sure 90% of users on this forum do. You need stability to do well. Expecting this team to be higher up and competing for promotion is delusional because the squad is extremely unbalanced in every sense and certainly wasn't McClaren's fault.Everyone and their dog could see where we needed to improve after the play off final defeat but we ended up spending it on a bunch of crap who didn't fit the system and happy to steal a living. The way he has wasted the money on signings, he couldn't have done a worse job if he tried!

Just because we have players who once played in the premier league doesn't  mean that they're any good now. 

Rubbish.

so you know everything that it takes to run a club especially behind the scenes?

You are judging MM with hindsight, if you are so clued up on running a football club put a post on this thread predicting how GR will do as our manager and tell us how he should do it. Players to keep/sell, formation etc. 

Mel has made mistakes and I do think that questions need to be asked if this appointment goes wrong quickly, all he was guilty of with the previous managers was backing them with money in his eagerness to get promoted. I think the fan in him has calmed down and the business head will dictate his decisions more now.

in Mel we trust.

17 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Most of us are open to have our posts shot down and debated though as opposed to self acclaiming ourselves as football experts...

What bothers me more is that people want to be proved right and shout from the rooftops. Then people who don't acknowledge when they are wrong and hold hands up. Just a little thing I struggle with. 

12 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

What bothers me more is that people want to be proved right and shout from the rooftops. Then people who don't acknowledge when they are wrong and hold hands up. Just a little thing I struggle with. 

I'm always wrong, so the wife tells me.

I'll bump up this thread in a few years time and be happy to admit whether I was right or wrong. I just hold the view that to me, Morris doesn't understand football if he expected McClaren to be challenging for the play offs this season. I thought Pearson would be a good appointment at the time to keep the players and Morris in place. I was wrong and my view was clouded due to watching Pearson's Leicester team against us. And I have never claimed to be a football expert. Football is about opinions but to me the way Morris' managerial policy of firing and hiring approach is not working and you cannot expect success the way he is at the moment. Didn't Zak Whitbread(former Derby player) say something along the same lines on Twitter the other day and say that Mel Morris doesn't take responsibility?

18 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Here's the problem with rights and wrongs.

McClaren has been sacked now, we'll never know if that was right or wrong as don't have a crystal ball to see how things would have worked out with him, Rowett flops doesn't mean McClaren would have done better, he could have flopped harder. Rowett a success, McClaren could have done it even better.

Pearson sacked, flop, who knows had he been given more time if things would have pulled around. 

We should play 4-2-3-1, Rowett goes 4-3-3 and wins, 4-2-3-1 could have seen a bigger scoreline. We lose, doesn't mean 4-2-3-1 was the answer. 

Start Nugent over Bent, we fail to score, doesn't mean Bent would have scored.

Look how well X player is doing, we should have signed him. Doesn't mean X player would have fit in our team. 

We all like to think we know the answers, our answers come from limited knowledge and insight. 

The most frustrating thing for me is that he talks a good game but he clearly has no idea how to make his ideas reality.

Wassall made sense. Appointing Pearson straight after Wassall had gotten us playing like ourselves again was mad. Pearson either should have been appointed when Clement was sacked or not at all. 

Allowing Pearson to make transfers when it was clear he was changing the style of play (something Mel came out after and said he didn't want) was utter stupidity. Fine, there's the "backing your manager 100%" argument here but it was obvious from pre-season and the opening day that Pearson didn't really fit. How he survived Burton I'll never know, let alone being allowed to swing the axe AFTER this game.

McClaren was brought in to get the football going again. We did what we had to for his first three months and then he tried to get us looking like ourselves again. We bossed possession like we used to but became vulnerable and the back and couldn't break teams down. Yes, it was shocking, but the signs of him doing what Mel actually wanted were there.

We now need a rebuild and Rowett needs however long he needs.

I appreciate that Morris only has the club's best interests at heart but for me he needs to take a step back and evaluate himself, that doesn't mean to move on, it just means to adapt his approach. He needs to look at the long term picture rather than the short term picture and not fire managers whenever they go through a bit of a bad spell. The players are FAR from blameless but having different managers coming in with different philosophies just confuses the players.

Archived