Spare a thought for Mel Morris

TommyPowell

4 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

Reasoned and proper opinions are the heart of football but stupid sweary rants are not doing the club or the fans any credit at all. 

Reasoned and proper opinions are the heart of democratic societies.

Pies, **** quizzes in match-day programmes and 90-year-old season ticket holders are the heart of football. ;) 

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Norman said:

Meh, sure the losses help the tax forms. 

And the value of clubs through players valuations and tv deals going up and up cushion it.

Ummmmm we lose 10 million a year. You don't pay tax on negative income whoever you are. You can play an accountants game but you can't get round that 10 million a year is going from Mel's pocket in to the club. 

4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I don't think, I know I know more than him. It would be harder to do a worse job in terms of transfers. If anyone is playing football manager then it's Mel Morris thinking he can sign players and  just hope they can gel without taking into consideration the other aspects. We only persisted with 4-3-3 because it suits the majority of our players from McClaren's previous tenure but it doesn't suit the players bought in more recently. You can't just buy players and hope that they fit in, they need to be for the team's benefits otherwise you would get a situation like we are in now. Look at Brighton, they haven't spent big but they got players who would suit their team's style like Murray, Sidwell, Knockart. Same with what David Wagner's done at Huddersfield. 

To answer your last question, Baird, Bent,Carson, Shackell, Ince, Johnson. All were surplus to requirements by premier teams. I'm not saying to get rid of them, I would keep Carson and Ince but the rest of them don't suit the team's needs in terms of their styles. 

No, you think you know a lot about football. I'm guessing you have a job in football if you know as much as you profess to.

Real life football is very different to Championship Manager.

As for Morris knowing nothing because of the signings? Since when has he made the signings?!

And since when has he dictates the formation we play?

Neither Shackell or Johnson were 'surplus to requirements'.

You're not saying get rid of these players but you label them average players that should not be performing better? You're contradicting yourself.

9 minutes ago, jono said:

Ummmmm we lose 10 million a year. You don't pay tax on negative income whoever you are. You can play an accountants game but you can't get round that 10 million a year is going from Mel's pocket in to the club. 

You're technically incorrect but I won't bore you with details!

I think the poster is suggesting, MM might use losses from Derby County to offset against his income from other sources.

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

You're technically incorrect but I won't bore you with details!

I think the poster is suggesting, MM might use losses from Derby County to offset against his income from other sources.

I am not an accountant but if corporation tax is at 20% then that is probably as much as he could "save" given that a loss is offset against a taxable profit elswhere, (and you still have to generate that profit in the first place ) which still leaves substantial wedge that he is parting with ? But you can bore me because I like to learn things   :)

Just now, jono said:

I am not an accountant but if corporation tax is at 20% then that is probably as much as he could "save" given that a loss is offset against a taxable profit elswhere, (and you still have to generate that profit in the first place ) which still leaves substantial wedge that he is parting with ? But you can bore me because I like to learn things   :)

Accounting profit is not same as taxable profit, adjustments are made to add back certain expenses (depreciation/amortization).

It would also not be possible for him to use losses from Derby County against income from another of his companies unless they were part of a group, so the original poster was probably wrong about the motives for it anyway!

Mel has had some horrendous luck. If Hughes and Bryson had not been wiped out for the season during that game at Bolton, Clement would not have panicked and spent over £10m on JB and BJ. Clement wanted finished articles to replace them rather than try academy or maybe a loan player. If Clement had to work with what he'd got he may well still be here. He tried to buy instant promotion - it rarely works like that.

Over the course of a season you need a coherent, closely-knit squad of players to pull each other through the bad times. Coupled with the Benty and Ince signings we maybe lost a bit of that.

I also believe Benty was a bad signing even though he has scored plenty of goals, we've rarely played well when he's been in the team. No way am i having a pop at him, he's an excellent pro but not able to hold the ball up.

None of this is Mel's fault. Its the unpredictability of football. Mel could have said no to PC's request to sign them both i guess, but once you hire a manager you have to be seen to back him. 

Pearson was Mel's fault. It was fairly common knowledge that NP was a volatile character, prone to violent outbursts. How was that ever going to work with Mel's own personality and presence? NP's poor signings (so far anyway!), and the loss of Hendrick and Martin, weakened the squad and the team spirit further. 

Pearson was going to rip up a squad that was geared up to play the 433 that had entertained us so much for large periods of the previous two years, so Mel probably deserves the blame for the ostrich.

One other factor with the PC and NP regimes to consider is the closing off of the route to the first team from the academy, or at least the perception of it, which again possibly damaged the club atmosphere.

Return of the Mac? looked a masterstroke for a couple of months but he can't bring himself to stick to the formation that has seen the best football since The Bald Eagle. Johnson (with Hanson as back up) to protect the back four instead of De Sart (not saying he's a bad player, just not quite strong enough defensively). Not Mel's fault, seems a weakness of Mac's that is difficult to explain.

Blame him for Pearson, i don't believe he's done much wrong other than that.

Hopefully, with Rowett, we've got a hybrid of Nigel Clough and Steve Mac who will get this squad pulling in the right direction, hard to beat yet with a goal threat going forward. 

Mel doesn't need sympathy, he just needs a bit of luck and to give Gary until the end of next season, no matter what.

18 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

No, you think you know a lot about football. I'm guessing you have a job in football if you know as much as you profess to.

Real life football is very different to Championship Manager.

As for Morris knowing nothing because of the signings? Since when has he made the signings?!

And since when has he dictates the formation we play?

Neither Shackell or Johnson were 'surplus to requirements'.

You're not saying get rid of these players but you label them average players that should not be performing better? You're contradicting yourself.

Mel Morris is a businessman, don't try and suggest he is a knowledgeable football person because he isn't. He may be a good businessman but so are Vincent Tan and the Venkies, doesn't make them knowledgeable about football. You're saying that real life football is different which I agree, it's Morris who is treating it like a game expecting the team to gel by splashing our cash and demanding instant success like a school child for the sake of it to make himself look good. Please remind me how much the 13/14 team cost in total? Probably less than Vydra and Johnson. The reason they did well is because every player had clear defined roles and responsibilities, e.g Dawkins the link player, Bryson the midfield runner, Hughes the creative player, Thorne the dictator, Martin to drop deeper, Bamford the free spirit to focus purely on attacking. Burnley sold Shackell because they had Michael Keane and Ben Mee ahead of Shackell and simply tried to get as much as they could for him which they did. They didn't miss him as they went up straight away. As for Johnson, Alex Neil said that Johnson wasn't good enough for the prem which is why they sold him, if that isn't surplus to requirements I don't know what is. 

Deserves all the criticism he gets for making bad decisions, and too much interference. He has the best interests of the club at heart, no one questions that but at times he's made knee jerk reactions as most fans would and do. While that is endearing, it is not what we need from our owner.

He has pumped money in but we are not as good as we were when GSE were here despite spending lots more money. Also, we talk about the academy, but where is the next crop? Lowe is the only one to really break through since Hughes and Hendrick, when Forest seem to have a conveyor belt of talented youngsters coming through their academy. Is that because they're not there, or is it because they haven't developed due to not being given the opportunity by previous management and recruitment policy.

Mel deserves criticism, it comes with the territory of owning a football club. But he will get the praise and adulation he deserves if Rowett does turn out to be the right appointment and we get to the Premier League.

Fair play to Mel though for having the guts to take on a football club as I'm sure he could easily do without the hassle.

30 minutes ago, David said:

smhn.gif

Put it this way, I wouldn't have stupidly sacked McClaren. Only a fool would have thought that this current squad should be in the play offs. McClaren was a victim of his own success. If McClaren's results were steady but not spectacular rather than going on that unbeaten run, he would still be here. Morris doesn't understand football and until he admits that and gets appropriate qualified advisors we will be having this conversation in 5 years time. 

You all know my feelings regarding the man.

The last two years says it all for me.

Don't think he's a honest man..... that's my biggest problem with him.

Its ok though, we've got heating in the concourses, had the odd free scarf and bovril. 

34 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I don't think, I know I know more than him. It would be harder to do a worse job in terms of transfers. If anyone is playing football manager then it's Mel Morris thinking he can sign players and  just hope they can gel without taking into consideration the other aspects. We only persisted with 4-3-3 because it suits the majority of our players from McClaren's previous tenure but it doesn't suit the players bought in more recently. You can't just buy players and hope that they fit in, they need to be for the team's benefits otherwise you would get a situation like we are in now. Look at Brighton, they haven't spent big but they got players who would suit their team's style like Murray, Sidwell, Knockart. Same with what David Wagner's done at Huddersfield. 

To answer your last question, Baird, Bent,Carson, Shackell, Ince, Johnson. All were surplus to requirements by premier teams. I'm not saying to get rid of them, I would keep Carson and Ince but the rest of them don't suit the team's needs in terms of their styles. 

This is really odd. Can you imagine the fury on here if Mel stopped a transfer going through because he thought he knew better than the manager about who to buy and who not to buy! The chairman signs the cheques, that's all.  People want to have their cake and eat it.  Back the manager and get slated for the manager buying the wrong players; don't back the manager and get slated for sticking your nose in or not investing. Thankless task being an owner of a football club.

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Put it this way, I wouldn't have stupidly sacked McClaren. Only a fool would have thought that this current squad should be in the play offs. McClaren was a victim of his own success. If McClaren's results were steady but not spectacular rather than going on that unbeaten run, he would still be here. Morris doesn't understand football and the until he admits that and gets appropriate qualified advisors we will be having this conversation in 5 years time. 

Put it anyway you like but you're coming across very arrogant and very unknowledgeable with your criticisms  

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Mel Morris is a businessman, don't try and suggest he is a knowledgeable football person because he isn't. He may be a good businessman but so are Vincent Tan and the Venkies, doesn't make them knowledgeable about football. You're saying that real life football is different which I agree, it's Morris who is treating it like a game expecting the team to gel by splashing our cash and demanding instant success like a school child for the sake of it to make himself look good. Please remind me how much the 13/14 team cost in total? Probably less than Vydra and Johnson. The reason they did well is because every player had clear defined roles and responsibilities, e.g Dawkins the link player, Bryson the midfield runner, Hughes the creative player, Thorne the dictator, Martin to drop deeper, Bamford the free spirit to focus purely on attacking. Burnley sold Shackell because they had Michael Keane and Ben Mee ahead of Shackell and simply tried to get as much as they could for him which they did. They didn't miss him as they went up straight away. As for Johnson, Alex Neil said that Johnson wasn't good enough for the prem which is why they sold him, if that isn't surplus to requirements I don't know what is. 

He's probably been watching football 20 years before you was even born.

Just because you now get to watch pundits and repeat their stupid buzzwords does not make you any more knowledgable, well maybe it does in your own head.

How many games did Shackell play in the season before he joined us? And where is the quote from Neil saying BJ was not good enough for the premier league?

Just now, David said:

Put it anyway you like but you're coming across very arrogant.

Nope, being arrogant would be saying I know more about football than McClaren. Mel Morris isn't McClaren or a qualified football man. He is a businessman and a very good one but isn't a football man. He doesn't know more about football than you or I. I'm sure he has the  club's best interests at heart but spending money and instantly demanding success makes it look like to me that Morris is the arrogant one in my opinion. 

Archived