Spare a thought for Mel Morris

TommyPowell

13 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Whilst MM has imo made mistakes, I would much rather a committed Derby fan owned the club than say some charlatan looking to turn a profit at our expense, selling us on to anyone with pockets deep enough to buy the club after we get promoted or asset stripping us and never paying bills on time if we don't.

We own our own ground and training facilities, have a squad thats worth a fair bit and little debt, almost everything MM has done as benefited us immensely. Now, if he could just hold off from firing GR before I've finished typing this everything would be great!

We still have a mortgage on the ground, so don't own it outright.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Are you sure on this? Think you are incorrect.

Last I heard it was correct, from the horse's mouth.

Had been refinanced on much more favourable terms, but may have been paid up since.

For those of you that say MM has taken the club backwards, when he took over we were in The Championship and that is where a will be starting next season.

If you mean the squad is not as good as it was back then, well that is because the managers he has backed with his money have signed players that are not as good as we already had.

If you are going to use the argument that he should not have let his managers spend that money, then don't also be using the argument that he should not be interfering with team matters. You can't have it both ways.

His managerial appointments/sackings have been strange in my opinion but you can't say that he hasn't had significant support from the fanbase on each and every decision.

And let's be honest if all of our business decisions were as good as we think they are, it would be us with the money to invest and not MM.

I'm far from being a MM fan but I will repeat, the way some of you treat and speak about him is a lot more embarrassing than him sacking a few of his employees.

9 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Last I heard it was correct, from the horse's mouth.

Had been refinanced on much more favourable terms, but may have been paid up since.

I cannot see a mortgage registered on Companies House

The mortgage from Co-Op was paid off by Global Derby (UK) in 2015

Think the whole derby way thing has been used as a stick to beat him with also the money spent. I Remember speaking to a large section of the fan base a few seasons ago who were up in arms about gse and the lack of investment and how they were bleeding the club dry so it seems you can't win either way. When mel took over we had just capitulated from top spot to not even making the playoffs so changes were needed. Yes some of the recruitment has been poor and I include managers in that but with mel whether you agree with his methods or not we have an owner who wants the same as the fans which has surely got to be a good thing!

17 minutes ago, GerryDaly said:

Mel has been pumping his money in to DCFC . 

The whingers on here having a go at him ... it's embarrassing. 

PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR  MOUTH IS 

or just shut up. :)

We do when we go every week.. Or does that not count?

22 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

For those of you that say MM has taken the club backwards, when he took over we were in The Championship and that is where a will be starting next season.

If you mean the squad is not as good as it was back then, well that is because the managers he has backed with his money have signed players that are not as good as we already had.

If you are going to use the argument that he should not have let his managers spend that money, then don't also be using the argument that he should not be interfering with team matters. You can't have it both ways.

His managerial appointments/sackings have been strange in my opinion but you can't say that he hasn't had significant support from the fanbase on each and every decision.

And let's be honest if all of our business decisions were as good as we think they are, it would be us with the money to invest and not MM.

I'm far from being a MM fan but I will repeat, the way some of you treat and speak about him is a lot more embarrassing than him sacking a few of his employees.

I could have written this, spot on. 

Every one of his 'mistakes' were managers the fans wanted, but those fans don't take flak for that now they? When the team starts losing and the fans start booing what do they want Mel to do? Nothing? They say he's wasted money on bad players? Well those players were decent before they came here and some were bought with the insurance money from Fozzy, Thorne and other injuries. I really wish people would get over this stupid 'we're embarrassing' etc. The most embarrassing thing is the fans who show their ignorance. 

I don't think he's done that much wrong to be honest.

I would have more fan interaction to outline the plans going forward - fan forums are suppose to be returning. 

I wouldn't have ditched the match day price demand scheme and maybe would have given Mac till November before giving him the boot. Other than that, I think he's done the right things.

Bet there's not many owners who get the grief he's got having spent close to 200 million in two years. Ashley perhaps.

He desperately wants promotion, but needs to calm down abit hiring and firing

4 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

We do when we go every week.. Or does that not count?

No. That's not enough to keep one player in kit for one season. It's a piffling amount in the scheme of things. If the club ran only on what fans put in we'd be in the conference. 

3 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

No. That's not enough to keep one player in kit for one season. It's a piffling amount in the scheme of things. If the club ran only on what fans put in we'd be in the conference. 

Oh so we don't count then even as a collective? Hmmm.. Money definitely speaks in your world.

So Morris can do absolutely anything he wants with the club then and you would be happy?

No fans , no product, no chance.

He can't win either way. He's backed every manager 100% in terms of providing funds for signings yet had he not done this, i reckon the same people moaning now would have probably moaned that he wasn't supporting the manager. 

I bet he wonders why he bothers when he looks at the forums and sees some of the comments made. 

Fortunately I think it's a minority that are negative and probably the same numpties that say they have a right to boo at games as they pay their money.

I'd like to think that the majority are grateful for MM's investment in the club. I certainly am.

19 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Oh so we don't count then even as a collective? Hmmm.. Money definitely speaks in your world.

So Morris can do absolutely anything he wants with the club then and you would be happy?

No fans , no product, no chance.

The man made the money and he's putting it into the club but that's not enough for some people, they want him to have Einstein's brain, sweat blood, grovel for apologies, wear a hair shirt and never make a mistake. I'd rather have him than Fatwaz or them at Birmingham that's for sure. 

Ok, so Mel may make mistakes but if you were around when Huddlestone was sold at the death for peanuts then you should be glad he's spending not asset stripping. He's not whacking up your season ticket costs is he? No, he's putting his own money in. 

Loads of fans, no atmosphere, booing, no support. Spectators. 

1 hour ago, GerryDaly said:

It's HIS money. It's his money he's pumping into DCFC ... 

What are you doing ?

Christ. Where to start. 

Mel Morris, as of last year had a net worth of £1,250,000,000. Yes, billion. He has a fleet of super cars, property coming out of his backside and bought a football club. 

Me? I work in property. Selling it mostly. My own house is worth about £250,000. I love it. I drive a two year old BMW and I love it. Net worth? Not sure. I am not without money, I think I work hard and live well. I earn a little over £60,000 a year give or take a few pounds. 

I have a season ticket and have had that since PP opened. My lad has one too. I go to the majority of away games every year, missed just two this season so far. I buy the lad plenty of merchandise from the club. I get a programme. I'm signed up to the video subscription thing on the website. 

I do all that because I love the club and enjoy following and supporting it. I've no intention of ever getting one of those posh seats behind the glass, despite many times being offered one. It's a generational thing for me. My dad did it, his dad, and so on. I was born into it. I only wish it was terracing and still affordable for all, as it was when I was a 1980's lad growing up. 

I never abuse players, managers, owners. On or offline. It's very rare I even criticise anyone. Check my post history. I dared to say Hughes was useless the other night though. I was angry Friday night, I have to be honest. It was such an insipid and feeble display. To a man. But it's rare I let the game get to me like that. 

So that's what I'm 'doing' my friend. Nothing worth writing home about. I'm just supporting the Rams as always, rain or shine. 

Not sure why I need to sympathise with Mel. No idea whatsoever why I'm expected to share a thought for him either. And absolutely no chance of me kissing his backside because he's got a lot of money. 

As I said at the start, no offence to him. I have nothing against the man. I am sure of his intentions, they're the best. Absolutely. But fans asking me to think of the money he's spent, as though that's a sign of his greater power over us, give me a break. 

And it is no more his club than it is mine or yours. Derby County, any club in fact, they're not owned by one man. 

Hope the above answers your query.

Warren.

3 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Christ. Where to start. 

Mel Morris, as of last year had a net worth of £1,250,000,000. Yes, billion. He has a fleet of super cars, property coming out of his backside and bought a football club. 

Me? I work in property. Selling it mostly. My own house is worth about £250,000. I love it. I drive a two year old BMW and I love it. Net worth? Not sure. I am not without money, I think I work hard and live well. I earn a little over £60,000 a year give or take a few pounds. 

I have a season ticket and have had that since PP opened. My lad has one too. I go to the majority of away games every year, missed just two this season so far. I buy the lad plenty of merchandise from the club. I get a programme. I'm signed up to the video subscription thing on the website. 

I do all that because I love the club and enjoy following and supporting it. I've no intention of ever getting one of those posh seats behind the glass, despite many times being offered one. It's a generational thing for me. My dad did it, his dad, and so on. I was born into it. I only wish it was terracing and still affordable for all, as it was when I was a 1980's lad growing up. 

I never abuse players, managers, owners. On or offline. It's very rare I even criticise anyone. Check my post history. I dared to say Hughes was useless the other night though. I was angry Friday night, I have to be honest. It was such an insipid and feeble display. To a man. But it's rare I let the game get to me like that. 

So that's what I'm 'doing' my friend. Nothing worth writing home about. I'm just supporting the Rams as always, rain or shine. 

Not sure why I need to sympathise with Mel. No idea whatsoever why I'm expected to share a thought for him either. And absolutely no chance of me kissing his backside because he's got a lot of money. 

As I said at the start, no offence to him. I have nothing against the man. I am sure of his intentions, they're the best. Absolutely. But fans asking me to think of the money he's spent, as though that's a sign of his greater power over us, give me a break. 

And it is no more his club than it is mine or yours. Derby County, any club in fact, they're not owned by one man. 

Hope the above answers your query.

Warren.

I appreciate and respect you as a DCFC fan ect ect 

But you are just a FAN .... 

Mel is pumping millions into the club I love .... 

You aren't. 

Maybe sparing a thought isn't the right header? Maybe it should be lets get off his back for awhile and hope that this latest Manager can deliver on his promises and remit that he signed up to as the others failed miserably with the backing MM has given them

Archived