Spare a thought for Mel Morris

TommyPowell

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I understand more about football than Mel Morris as I'm sure 90% of users on this forum do. You need stability to do well. Expecting this team to be higher up and competing for promotion is delusional because the squad is extremely unbalanced in every sense and certainly wasn't McClaren's fault.Everyone and their dog could see where we needed to improve after the play off final defeat but we ended up spending it on a bunch of crap who didn't fit the system and happy to steal a living. The way he has wasted the money on signings, he couldn't have done a worse job if he tried!

Just because we have players who once played in the premier league doesn't  mean that they're any good now. 

This is such a contradiction. You say it wasn't Macs fault. Then you say everyone and their dog could see where we needed to improve. Yet Mac had the whole of the next season, 2 transfer windows and I'd argue he agreed most of the pre clement signings. Macs been here and had a hand in 4 transfer windows, twice as much as the next Manager. Not having a go, just think what you put is wrong and you missed an entire season out of your memory.

Mac was given a team and got it to Wembley. His acquisitions from transfer windows saw us finishing 8th.

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

I understand more about football than Mel Morris as I'm sure 90% of users on this forum do. You need stability to do well. Expecting this team to be higher up and competing for promotion is delusional because the squad is extremely unbalanced in every sense and certainly wasn't McClaren's fault.Everyone and their dog could see where we needed to improve after the play off final defeat but we ended up spending it on a bunch of crap who didn't fit the system and happy to steal a living. The way he has wasted the money on signings, he couldn't have done a worse job if he tried!

Just because we have players who once played in the premier league doesn't  mean that they're any good now. 

You think you know more about him, unfortunately that is the problem with a lot of fans these days, they play Championship Manager and watch a lot of football on tv and think they are experts.

If Mel, said he thinks we should be getting more out of the players he is spot on.

We may not have the ideal players for 4-3-3 but as everyone can see (even Mel by the look of things) then why have we persisted with it until a couple of weeks ago?

The fact is it was working (surprising considering the lack of balance argument) until Mac tried to morph us into a possession team. 

Who are the ex Premier League players that are not good anymore?

15 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

You think you know more about him, unfortunately that is the problem with a lot of fans these days, they play Championship Manager and watch a lot of football on tv and think they are experts.

If Mel, said he thinks we should be getting more out of the players he is spot on.

We may not have the ideal players for 4-3-3 but as everyone can see (even Mel by the look of things) then why have we persisted with it until a couple of weeks ago?

The fact is it was working (surprising considering the lack of balance argument) until Mac tried to morph us into a possession team. 

Bent

There's an argument I keep seeing floated about that - because Mel has been incredibly successful in the business world - ergo he must know EXACTLY what it takes to bring success to DCFC. 

But in reality it's apples and oranges - running a football club is totally different to running a business. Is Mel a successful businessman? Yes clearly. But I'm not judging him on that - I'm judging him on his decisions as DCFC owner. And is he a successful Football Club Owner? It's been pedestrian at best (though admittedly the behind the scenes / academy stuff is suppose to be going well). 

It's the ruthlessness and impatience - it's a great skill in the business world because it drives you to success without sentiment. But it doesn't translate well to football. To achieve promotion you need to play the long-ball game. Just look at Brighton. They've stuck by Hughton (despite tough times) and it's now reaping dividends. 

Just now, GerryDaly said:

Mel Morris is pumping his money into DCFC ... 

The WHINGERS on here aren't. 

:p

Worst post 2K17.

Most of the people on here have put their money into this club. Hundreds of pounds worth. Maybe thousands depending on how long you've been going. I think that earns them a right to express their frustration at least, no?

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

Worst post 2K17.

Most of the people on here have put their money into this club. Hundreds of pounds worth. Maybe thousands depending on how long you've been going. I think that earns them a right to express their frustration at least, no?

Express frustration yes ... 

But your money is not keeping DCFC afloat ... stop being so naive. :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Worst post 2K17.

There's a couple of things wrong with this post. It's 2017 not 2k whatever. 

Its not expressing frustration, we're all frustrated almost beyond endurance, it's the childish way of expressing it I think we'd like to stop. Reasoned and proper opinions are the heart of football but stupid sweary rants are not doing the club or the fans any credit at all. 

17 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I don't think, I know I know more than him. It would be harder to do a worse job in terms of transfers. If anyone is playing football manager then it's Mel Morris thinking he can sign players and  just hope they can gel without taking into consideration the other aspects. We only persisted with 4-3-3 because it suits the majority of our players from McClaren's previous tenure but it doesn't suit the players bought in more recently. You can't just buy players and hope that they fit in, they need to be for the team's benefits otherwise you would get a situation like we are in now. Look at Brighton, they haven't spent big but they got players who would suit their team's style like Murray, Sidwell, Knockart. Same with what David Wagner's done at Huddersfield. 

To answer your last question, Baird, Bent,Carson, Shackell, Ince, Johnson. All were surplus to requirements by premier teams. I'm not saying to get rid of them, I would keep Carson and Ince but the rest of them don't suit the team's needs in terms of their styles. 

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I don't think, I know I know more than him. It would be harder to do a worse job in terms of transfers. If anyone is playing football manager then it's Mel Morris thinking he can sign players and  just hope they can gel without taking into consideration the other aspects. We only persisted with 4-3-3 because it suits the majority of our players from McClaren's previous tenure but it doesn't suit the players bought in more recently. You can't just buy players and hope that they fit in, they need to be for the team's benefits otherwise you would get a situation like we are in now. Look at Brighton, they haven't spent big but they got players who would suit their team's style like Murray, Sidwell, Knockart. Same with what David Wagner's done at Huddersfield. 

To answer your last question, Baird, Bent,Carson, Shackell, Ince, Johnson. All were surplus to requirements by premier teams. I'm not saying to get rid of them, I would keep Carson and Ince but the rest of them don't suit the team's needs in terms of their styles. 

Do you really think he signed those players, rather than his managers?

Archived