Spare a thought for Mel Morris

TommyPowell

1 minute ago, Bessie1 said:

Be careful that we don't do to Morris what forest fans did to Doughty. And if you want to know what bad owners are really like then speak to a fan of Coventry or Pompey (or plenty of other clubs for that matter)

This is it though.

People aren't saying he's a bad owner. They're saying he's a bad chairman.

Doughty wasn't going to sell Forest up, he was stepping down as chairman and appointing someone else.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, eddie said:

When you are bashing the keyboard with your face, you might easily hit a 'k' instead of a '0'.

Making the 'k' upper-case though, that's quite another matter.

I'm so out of touch with trendy speak. Not just me then 

Can't really disagree with any decision Mels made, either recruiting or firing. All the managers were fired after poor runs that didn't ever look like they could rectify it. All the managers have made poor signings. Clement brought a striker and winger for £5 mil and to date have probably cost £2mil a goal ish. Person bought a striker and winger for £12 mil, they've cost us around £3 mil a goal.

This isn't Mels first time at the club either is it? Wasn't he here when Gadsby was Chairman? And I'm sure he's been in and around the club a lot longer than most Chairman have. I'd say Mel does understand football a lot more than most on here. But if you employ someone that doesn't deliver and what he said then he has to go.

thes no set criteria for success when it comes to managers and the length of time at a club.  We have a new man in charge of the team now so let's just stop this who can we blame this week culture we seem to have here and give the whole club a chance.

if we lose tomorrow though we should sack the whole lot of em ?

4 hours ago, McLovin said:

I'll bump up this thread in a few years time and be happy to admit whether I was right or wrong. I just hold the view that to me, Morris doesn't understand football if he expected McClaren to be challenging for the play offs this season. I thought Pearson would be a good appointment at the time to keep the players and Morris in place. I was wrong and my view was clouded due to watching Pearson's Leicester team against us. And I have never claimed to be a football expert. Football is about opinions but to me the way Morris' managerial policy of firing and hiring approach is not working and you cannot expect success the way he is at the moment. Didn't Zak Whitbread(former Derby player) say something along the same lines on Twitter the other day and say that Mel Morris doesn't take responsibility?

The flaw in your post is that we WERE challenging for the play offs 

11 minutes ago, archied said:

Oh and then lost the plot spectacularly again

18 minutes ago, archied said:

After being in the relegation zone. It's not a flaw in his post at all. Anyone with a brain knows we were playing out of our skins and we were going to be unable to maintain that form. Imagine if we had Mac in charge instead of Pearson at the start of the season, we'd actually be in the playoffs now.

I don't always agree with him, and I reserve my right to express my distaste with his decisions when they irk me. But I think some people really think you can change chairmen like you can change managers or like you can get a new centre half.

It's not as simple as "if it's not working, change it all" when it comes to ownership. If you have instability with players and coaches, you get poor results on the pitch. If you have instability with owners, you get people not being paid and utter chaos as to who is running the place. Look at Portsmouth in their worst times if you don't believe me.

I'm telling you, if you hound Mel out (not that he's going to bow to that kind of pressure anyway), you'll regret it. He's doing a decent job. Maybe not perfect but he's put money in, and he's fully committed to this project for better or worse. He puts his money where his mouth is and puts his love-spuds on the barbecue by continuing to be a public face for the club.

He's willing, committed and relatively sensible compared to other nightmares of chairmen clubs have found themselves with.

22 hours ago, BobbyD said:

I gave you a like before even reading your narrative

Its astonishing the criticism that has been levelled at Mel

Would fans really prefer a wealthy  owner who didn't want to invest in the future of the club ? Who wasn't a local bloke with his hometown club at heart ? 

What is he supposed to do ? He backs the manager, they spend the money and blow it. Its not his fault. 

How would they feel if he was currently thinking of chucking the towel in and just selling out to the nearest taker ?

Have a like for that, agree 100%!

I have always been of the opinion if I was in the position of Mel I wouldn't have bought the club. The reason being you can't do right for doing wrong, it's an absolute no win situation for him!

I personally can't find anything amongst his business decisions for our club to criticise other than the re-employment of SM. 

Everything else (bursting in to the dressing room included) I agree with him completely. It's his money that's rescued us and some amongst us need to be a little more grateful of that fact. ??

1 hour ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Have a like for that, agree 100%!

I have always been of the opinion if I was in the position of Mel I wouldn't have bought the club. The reason being you can't do right for doing wrong, it's an absolute no win situation for him!

I personally can't find anything amongst his business decisions for our club to criticise other than the re-employment of SM. 

Everything else (bursting in to the dressing room included) I agree with him completely. It's his money that's rescued us and some amongst us need to be a little more grateful of that fact. ??

I'd be more grateful if he adopted the approach GSE did..... it's my belief that if GSE were still here we'd be a lot better off and maybe in the Prem.....

As for money, far too many get seduced by it.... and also the fact the guy is from Derby..... I'm fairly certain it would be a different reaction if GSE or someone not from Derby/UK we're currently in charge.

Think he's got to realise his mistakes...... I really hope he does. 

24 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

I'd be more grateful if he adopted the approach GSE did..... it's my belief that if GSE were still here we'd be a lot better off and maybe in the Prem.....

As for money, far too many get seduced by it.... and also the fact the guy is from Derby..... I'm fairly certain it would be a different reaction if GSE or someone not from Derby/UK we're currently in charge.

Think he's got to realise his mistakes...... I really hope he does. 

Dreaming of Shaun Barker type fee players, they needed a board meeting to release funds to buy a pack of polos, after giving Jewell everything they had.

We would be the Ipswich of the Championship, the only excitement comes from guessing the away shirt colour watching Andy Garner age like a prune

Didn't mind GSE.

I just hated the way they did PR through Glick. "The next Portsmouth.." stfu. 

The masterplan that by standing still then FFP will come destroy everyone leaving us at the top of the pile was the daftest talk I've ever heard.

I don't mind Mel Morris. His heart is in the right place. He wants what we want. We're on the same team. He backs managers financially so they can have no excuses.

But...

They don't get enough time. The last few have all been using other manager's players brought in for other manager's philosophy. Let one build his own squad. Then there can be no excuses. 

The Derby Way. Horrible name, great idea. It works. It's proven to work. But it's based on continuity. We haven't had that. To abandon it to go for Pearson and then bring it back with McClaren to now abandon it again (based on Rowett's past)... jeez.

You've got people saying "well he spends money so he can do what he wants". Does that apply to everything in life? Someone's chucked money behind that so I can't complain? 

It's a knob head attitude to be like that. I don't even think Mel Morris thinks like that so would he appreciate people talking like that on his behalf? 

Would you apply the same attitude of our owner was Fawaz? "Well he's put money in". 

There's being ungrateful. You must appreciate his objective and his dilemmas. But then there's being a bit of a plank and letting money rule your decisions/emotions/morals 

The balance is in the middle.

Mel Morris said at the breakfasts he has no problem with criticism. Good. People should be able to have an input to the club they have backed. Just do it with consideration

3 hours ago, lrm14 said:

After being in the relegation zone. It's not a flaw in his post at all. Anyone with a brain knows we were playing out of our skins and we were going to be unable to maintain that form. Imagine if we had Mac in charge instead of Pearson at the start of the season, we'd actually be in the playoffs now.

Anybody with a brain knows that this group of players were in a totally false position under Pearson and were easily capable of far far more ? This was not a wornock/ Rotherham Lazarus revival that Mac pulled out of the hat , and anybody with a brain can see we then turned out piss poor performances in very winnable home games once we got ourselves into a good position

22 hours ago, McLovin said:

Mel Morris doesn't understand football and his decisions reinforce that. Im sure he is a nice guy but he really needs to get better football advisors. You need stability to succeed on more occasions than not. In his statement he said the players are good and should be achieving higher. No Mel they should not, the majority of them are average. Going on that massive unbeaten run was the worst thing that could have happened to McClaren because it clouded people's judgment on these group of players, which is mid table standard at best

This is the crux..Did Steve get them playing above themselves as average players? Or is this a good set of players that he got back to performing as they can but that continually fall short when it really starts to count? If it's the latter then a fresh approach is maybe what we needed....and we will look back and realise Mel was right all along! 

5 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

This is the crux..Did Steve get them playing above themselves as average players? Or is this a good set of players that he got back to performing as they can but that continually fall short when it really starts to count? If it's the latter then a fresh approach is maybe what we needed....and we will look back and realise Mel was right all along! 

It's the latter

11 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Serious question GD.. Why so many spaces between each line? Its hard to take your posts seriously.

I have this mental picture of you being about 16, that might be way off beam but... Nowt wrong with being 16, I was once :whistle: and some 16 year olds have good opinions and points.

You have an opinion, fine.. These one liners don't back your argument up. There are some excellent posts on this thread in support of Morris.. Backed up by explaining their thoughts. @uttoxram75 post in particular. 

Have a go, put together an argument, stand your corner.. Let's try with your second line.. Where do you think DCFC will stand without Mel? 

I don't want to argue over petty stuff like "spaces" between lines ... 

Without Mel I think DCFC would be in serious trouble. 

Crazy Chinese backers ? 

Uninterested Yanks ? 

What we got ? 

Mel Morris is manna from heaven for Derby County Football Club... We should rejoice this ... but all I see are jibes and negativity . .Sure he's made mistakes ...But his heart is in THE CLUB. ... and for this we should realise how lucky we are.  

Archived