Rowett confirmed

WystonRam

I really hope GR is given plenty of support and time to sort things out. There could well be a really bad patch, and maybe some players might go and complain to MM behind his back, and I hope the owner shoots them down in flames.

It would be great if GR could develop as a manager with us, take us up, and stay with us a good long stint. Arthur Cox stylee - wouldn't it be great if his next job after us was England?

Maybe being too idealistic.:thumbsup:

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that right...Rowett asked about a Christmas bonus and Mel told him "let's take it a day at a time Gary".

I suppose a two year deal is quite generous in the current climate.

Amazing to think Derby and Forest will be meeting with different managers for the fifth time in a row on Saturday lol

I wish Gary all the best...he served us well as a player and I'm sure he'll give the club his best shot.

3 minutes ago, whiteroseram said:

Sorry if it's already been answered but any news on the rest of the backroom staff? Phillips and Pascal sticking around?

dcfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/derby-county-appoint-gary-rowett-as-manager-3624101.aspx

"Rowett has also moved to bring his trusted backroom team to Pride Park Stadium by appointing Kevin Summerfield as Assistant Manager, Mark Sale as First Team Coach, Kevin Poole as Goalkeeping Coach and Joe Carnall as Head of Performance Analysis."

"First Team Coach Kevin Phillips will remain part of the coaching team while Goalkeeping Coach Pascal Zuberbuhler has departed with the club’s best wishes for the future."

6 minutes ago, rhysbeck said:

dcfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/derby-county-appoint-gary-rowett-as-manager-3624101.aspx

"Rowett has also moved to bring his trusted backroom team to Pride Park Stadium by appointing Kevin Summerfield as Assistant Manager, Mark Sale as First Team Coach, Kevin Poole as Goalkeeping Coach and Joe Carnall as Head of Performance Analysis."

"First Team Coach Kevin Phillips will remain part of the coaching team while Goalkeeping Coach Pascal Zuberbuhler has departed with the club’s best wishes for the future."

gone for a Burton, obviously

cant be more underwhelmed than I am at present

2 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

good luck with that!

History would dictate it's very much the other way round, and Mel's ok with that!

Why are you wishing me good luck? It's not me doing it!

And I've heard the rumours about it being the other way round, but Mel needs to make changes and one of the first should be to let the players know that it's fit in or fook off.

Remember like it was yesterday, me and me dad doing a tour of the BBG.

The stadium was empty and all we could hear was the sprinklers spraying the worn Baseball Ground turf, as Rowett was doing some stretching. The guide asked Gary to come over to say hi. He didn't. Never looked up from doing his warm up. Pure focus.

It was the day that we beat Chelsea 3-2 at home during our first year in the Prem. We thought about getting tickets but it was a total sellout. We drove home and listened to the match in the car. But my over riding memory was, our rightback's dedication. Our tour of the BBG was at 10am. 

Not in the least bit surprised he's in management. 

Fantastic pro. 

5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I won't knock him for his financial backing of the managers (even though that has been a huge contributory factor to where we find ourselves now).

You say the managers have failed to deliver, but deliver what? How many managers do you know that can deliver anything in 6 months?

He keeps saying there are no timescales for the managers and then fires them 6 months later after 1 transfer window.

Each manager that comes in is inheriting someone else's mess.

Just look at our January activity. Signed Nugent and gave Martin a contract extension. Why would you do that then fire the guy who wanted them 6 weeks later?

What has changed so drastically in that 6 week period? Remember there are no timescales. 

Seems to me that either Mels vision is not being properly communicated to the new managers or they are not being given sufficient time to implement it.

Based on the 4/5 different types of manager we have had in it appears to me that Mel is happy to hire anyone, throw money at it and hope we get lucky.

His comments re the appointment of Rowett are wishy washy at best. 'Redevelopment of the club' what does that even mean.

Let the fans know what has been asked of Rowett then they will know what to judge him on. Otherwise in 6 months time we will have the usual 'we've spent x million and deserve better' comments resurfacing.

Only Mel knows why he feels the need to sack them, is he looking through a fans eyes, just look at some of the comment on here and twitter asking for macs head.

I can only assume that he feels with the financial backing he has given his managers, which in this league should see us in the top 6 consistently, only to see us either no where near the top 6 or after early good results see an alarming drop in form, passion and commitment.

I think the nail in the coffin for mac was laughing his head off with us being 3-0 down in one of the worst performances I've seen from a derby side in a few years.

And don't think MM is the only man to sack his managers after a few months. The wigan manager has been sacked after 5 months and he didn't even spend anything. Norwich sacked Neil after a few months in this league.

It's only my opinion of course, but I can see why he has sacked Mac, Pearson and Clement.

As regards the redevelopment, I think he realises he has spent a lot of money on toss and will be cutting his losses on those players to move them on and then giving GR funds to get his own team.

8 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Genuine question chaps

Can i ask, purely out of interest who your first choice was

i was torn between him and warburton but just have a gut feeling about rowett no idea why 

I quite admired Warburton prior to his stint at Rangers, while I never followed him closely up there posts by RadioactiveWaste in particular gave me food for thought on him, his transfer strategy wasn't the best by all accounts so he dropped down my pecking order.

I would have liked Laudrup to have been interviewed, I think what he did at Swansea merited consideration.

However, I've just watched Rowett live on Sky and I have to say I like the cut of his jib, if he can transfer his obvious pride and optimism to performances, we might not do too badly. Good luck to him but if he falls victim to the alleged player power I've been reading about, there's going to be one very strongly worded letter sent to our owner.

COYR. ? 

36 minutes ago, europia said:

Not to overlook the the fact that he (Mel Morris) was the one who hired them. 

Not at all, I have asked the question in earlier posts whether he was naive in certain recruitment of his managers, for me yes, in Pearson (and I rated him). 

8 hours ago, CHCDerby said:

I think Gary will earn instant respect from the players.

Dont think the players know the meaning of the word,been disrespecting the club and fans for the last two years,they all shoukd be shown the door as far as am concerned, hope Rowett kicks arse and gets erm playing .

Just listening to a recording of the phone in last night

It beggars belief

There's a saying about the political system in general  : you get the outcome the voters deserve

We get the outcome that these fans deserve.

Utterly unthought out comments, pathetic lack of understanding of affairs, unbelievable naivety, total lack of realism, no factual backup to incredibly broad assumptions made with no actual knowledge behind what they are saying. 

And this isn't just the odd one of the callers. Its every single one ringing up. One of them was adamant that we should now appoint Ranieri. 

I'm more embarrassed about some of the fans than I am about the owners of this club frankly. 

They truly get the club they deserve. 

33 minutes ago, ram1964 said:

Dont think the players know the meaning of the word,been disrespecting the club and fans for the last two years,they all shoukd be shown the door as far as am concerned, hope Rowett kicks arse and gets erm playing .

I disagree.

My lad plays football at a good level, he is only 9 years old. I can already see in him that if he doesn't like the training he won't put as much effort in. The players will have to warm to the coach if the coach is going to get the best out of them.

The demand on a footballer is so much more than any supporter can imagine nowadays and us as supporters do not realise that.

5 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

I disagree.

My lad plays football at a good level, he is only 9 years old. I can already see in him that if he doesn't like the training he won't put as much effort in. The players will have to warm to the coach if the coach is going to get the best out of them.

The demand on a footballer is so much more than any supporter can imagine nowadays and us as supporters do not realise that.

I totally get that. Footballers have to sacrifice so much that youngsters take for granted BUT they are paid very handsomely and pretty much guarantee themselves a life of luxury after retiring at 40 at the latest, whilst said youngsters are working until mid 60s.

If you are prepared to sacrifice so much why I'm earth would you start putting in half hearted performances?

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I totally get that. Footballers have to sacrifice so much that youngsters take for granted BUT they are paid very handsomely and pretty much guarantee themselves a life of luxury after retiring at 40 at the latest, whilst said youngsters are working until mid 60s.

If you are prepared to sacrifice so much why I'm earth would you start putting in half hearted performances?

It comes across as half hearted to us but the boys are still trying to win, they don't go out to lose.

To have a successful team most of the cogs need to turn at the same time, if they don't you risk it not working at all or slower than normal.

As a Brum supporter - just wanted to wish you guys the best of luck for the remainder of the season, and into next. Gary is a top guy and we were gutted to see him go. He gets the very best out of his players - no question. He created miracles for us (on a laughable shoestring budget) and did similar at Burton. With a much deeper and talented squad presently at Derby, I honestly believe that he may well be the missing managerial link that you've been after - to get you back to the Prem. He understands the difficulties of Championship football. He understands the importance of inking out a tough 1-0 or 2-1 win. He knows how to win away, and steal points. He knows how to deal with difficult ownership, he knows how to be honest and direct with the media, and in return he was very well loved by the vast majority of us at Brum.

He may not be the 'sexy' choice - the flamboyant, big talking manager that the media craves for sound-bites, but he gets you the job done. Look at what going that route has cost us recently - since we fired him. We were sitting seventh, and only 3pts out of second when he was fired - we brought in Zola - who was going to get us playing "open, flowing, attacking football". And now we can't win to save our lives - and we're getting dragged closer and closer to a relegation battle. Another case of foreign ownership madness at play. But enough about us...

Good luck, you Rams. There'll be many of us rooting for you and Gary.

Archived