Rowett confirmed

WystonRam

Just watched GR's first interview with CG on Ramsplayer.

It's probably the best first interview by a manager that I have seen in Donkey's years:

Confident, Self-assured, intelligent, relaxed, articulate, lots of gravitas, forward-thinking, focused, shrewd...

It probably helps that he is no stranger to PP and also knows CG well.

However, there is a "Factor x" about GR that marks him out...he demands respect but not in an over-bearing way like the chap called Pearson. I do recall chatting with him for a good 15 minutes outside the Pirelli some 4-5 years ago after his Burton side had just lost 1-3 to Nigel Clough's Derby and I have to say he analysed what we had both just watched with razor-sharp precision in the space of about 5 minutes. I was very impressed with him then, and was just reminded how impressed I was by watching the interview. 

I wasn't happy that we sacked Mac, but I am already looking forward to seeing what GR is going to produce. He is shrewd enough to know that if he beats Florist on Satdee, he will do himself no harm at all. :mellow:

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last managerial appointment I didn't like the look of was Jim Smith.

I clearly know **** all about the appointment of managers.

I'm pleased with Rowett.

That is all.

35 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Just watched GR's first interview with CG on Ramsplayer.

It's probably the best first interview by a manager that I have seen in Donkey's years:

Confident, Self-assured, intelligent, relaxed, articulate, lots of gravitas, forward-thinking, focused, shrewd...

It probably helps that he is no stranger to PP and also knows CG well.

However, there is a "Factor x" about GR that marks him out...he demands respect but not in an over-bearing way like the chap called Pearson. I do recall chatting with him for a good 15 minutes outside the Pirelli some 4-5 years ago after his Burton side had just lost 1-3 to Nigel Clough's Derby and I have to say he analysed what we had both just watched with razor-sharp precision in the space of about 5 minutes. I was very impressed with him then, and was just reminded how impressed I was by watching the interview. 

I wasn't happy that we sacked Mac, but I am already looking forward to seeing what GR is going to produce. He is shrewd enough to know that if he beats Florist on Satdee, he will do himself no harm at all. :mellow:

Let's hope he can grind out enough 1-0's to keep everybody happy. Or is that asking the impossible? 

51 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

It comes across as half hearted to us but the boys are still trying to win, they don't go out to lose.

To have a successful team most of the cogs need to turn at the same time, if they don't you risk it not working at all or slower than normal.

Disagree, the effort was severely lacking last Friday.

1 hour ago, CHCDerby said:

It comes across as half hearted to us but the boys are still trying to win, they don't go out to lose.

To have a successful team most of the cogs need to turn at the same time, if they don't you risk it not working at all or slower than normal.

No I'm not having that - you tell me what cogs were different after Leicester sacked Ranieri? The players against Brighton but in other games too have taken the piss - if there was more concern we should at least have seen a few outbursts from individuals, but we've seen nothing bar resignation. If that's the best they can do they can all fook off.

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

No I'm not having that - you tell me what cogs were different after Leicester sacked Ranieri? The players against Brighton but in other games too have taken the piss - if there was more concern we should at least have seen a few outbursts from individuals, but we've seen nothing bar resignation. If that's the best they can do they can all fook off.

You upset now your Stevie SAINT has gone matey ? :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Genuine question chaps

Can i ask, purely out of interest who your first choice was

i was torn between him and warburton but just have a gut feeling about rowett no idea why 

Mine was pardew then warburton but dont get me wrong rowett did brilliant with brum so he deserves his chance, i just think if he wasnt a ex ram would we of gone for him? All the best to the bloke tho 

Have to say I was initially sceptical about this appointment, I wasn't too sure whether he would be able to handle the different situation here and adapt his style to suit. However rowetts interview has made me think more and more about it and I actually think he's probably the best man for the job. He's a proper tactical manager rather than a coach like many of our recent managers have been, and he seems very intelligent, focused and determined to succeed here. He certainly sounds like a man with a plan, and he's certainly gonna need that this summer that's for sure! Will be very interested by the team news on Saturday 

2 hours ago, EastHertsRam said:

I quite admired Warburton prior to his stint at Rangers, while I never followed him closely up there posts by RadioactiveWaste in particular gave me food for thought on him, his transfer strategy wasn't the best by all accounts so he dropped down my pecking order.

I would have liked Laudrup to have been interviewed, I think what he did at Swansea merited consideration.

However, I've just watched Rowett live on Sky and I have to say I like the cut of his jib, if he can transfer his obvious pride and optimism to performances, we might not do too badly. Good luck to him but if he falls victim to the alleged player power I've been reading about, there's going to be one very strongly worded letter sent to our owner.

COYR. ? 

I did hear a lot of negativity surrounding Warburton at Rangers, although as discussed with @Nuwtfly perhaps the highly negative perception I had came from "those who shout loudest" - and he hadn't perhaps done awfully, but not good enough for the expectations/entitlement.

I certainly have cooled on him, but then, up until this season I really rated Warburton as someone who'd go on to much bigger things but he seemed to not really quite command things the way you have to at clubs like rangers. His exit was really odd to - the whole "I've not resigned" thing.

I think a good stint from him sorting out Forest would revive his profile and prospects back in England. Well, anyone sorting out Forest would be something of  managerial triumph.  I think Warburton would have been the man to get in after Clement, I'm not sure he'd have been the right man right now - but I wouldn't have seen it as a bad move. Although I'd be happy to personally stand vigil outside his house with a "don't sign Joey Barton" sign.

However, I really like Rowett. Solid was the word I used earlier and having watched his interviews and read a bit about the news conference, I'm still minded that way. I think we've appointed as well as we could have done. If we sacked Mac to get Rowett signed up, it's pretty ruthless, but may well have been the right thing to do. It's also in contrast to Clement going and no one having been lined up, because that's not how they do things (or something to that extent).

7 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Here you are SDSR....would welcome your thoughts on how he comes over....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o9201q7ErM

{Love the big Rams head logo just behind his right shoulder}

Cheers pal. Refreshing. Like the way he talks to Gibson, not egotistical like Pearson and McClaren. 

On paper it looks a great appointment but time will tell.

12 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

However, I really like Rowett. Solid was the word I used earlier and having watched his interviews and read a bit about the news conference, I'm still minded that way. I think we've appointed as well as we could have done. If we sacked Mac to get Rowett signed up, it's pretty ruthless, but may well have been the right thing to do. It's also in contrast to Clement going and no one having been lined up, because that's not how they do things (or something to that extent).

I've come around to liking him - had to get over his reaction after the 3-3 Brum game. I like his attitude to footballers, wants to see ambition in them whatever it is they're aiming for.

I feel pretty good about this. Mac, Clement and to a certain extent Pearson have been used to have a level of quality in their players that were above the average for whatever competition / league they were in. Yet they never managed at Derby to show consistently that they could turn good in to excellent. 

Rowett comes from a team building environment where the whole is greater than its constituents.

I'm hoping that this might be just what we need ... A good builder who has been given some quality materials and might just make something good 

Archived