Mac Sacked

LeedsRam1999

McClaren Sacking  

356 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mels been pretty ruthless with this one. Almost seems like he's used Mac as a stepping stone like Mac did to us first time around. He got The Mac in to stop the rot and pull us away from the drop zone. Now a better manager has come along he's changed it. 

Whilst it seems crazy, changing manager again if he had plans to do it in the summer anyway, this is far better timing. 9 games to see the season out, asses the squad in a competitive scenario, not just what he sees on the training pitch and then get to work.

Domt envy the job Rowett is going to have to do this summer, don't even know if he's the right man for the job but he's got to change the whole culture of the club from top to bottom. It really is a Clough like rebuilding job. 

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why all the negativity,not up to the job,did he lose the dressing room,after watching the Brighton game and his interview after the match he never showed any remorse,laughing a lot,not one shot on target,goodbye McClaren,who will employ you now.

I was happy for mac2 to happen and he did put players into their correct positions and we did pick up results in mainly 50/50 games and around Christmas we get tired and luck runs out from that point we are constantly being outplayed and more evidently out worked which was the surprising and unacceptable thing.

my sympathy for mac2 is that we have rather to many players who have only achieved a high point of mid table championship level and he was looking at a variety of what we have - they are not good enough, I feel that maybe he deserved a full season with appropriate transfer activity but that is not to be now.

i have never liked any of our managers ever talking about how good other teams are, they don't need mentioning, I want to hear about how good we are and how good we are going to be and we can see it actually happening.

good luck to the next one, I will be there regardless 

11 minutes ago, admira said:

A post I roll out regularly due to the revolving Managers door:

Win ratio's

Steve Mac (1st spell):  54.3%

Steve Mac (2nd spell):  48:0%

Rowett (Birmingham): 39.6%

Rowett (Burton): 44.4%

To compare the situations is ridiculous.

Do another column after the win percentage - 'value of squad'

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

To compare the situations is ridiculous.

Do another column after the win percentage - 'value of squad'

I'm not being ridiculous. I'm just displaying the win percentages.

If I was being ridiculous, I'd post Brian Clough's 46.71% and say he wasn't as good as Steve Mac.

1 minute ago, admira said:

I'm not being ridiculous. I'm just displaying the win percentages.

If I was being ridiculous, I'd post Brian Clough's 46.71% and say he wasn't as good as Steve Mac.

Sorry, was not saying you are ridiculous....unless you are comparing their win rates...

2 hours ago, BarrowRam said:

BBC Radio 5 live's Pat Murphy

So the Derby players escape responsibility while the manager who has been at the club five months carries the can.

Steve McClaren had an immediate effect last autumn, taking the club out of the bottom four and impressing with his acknowledged coaching skill, but the players shrivelled in the face of promotion expectations.

McClaren had set in place a major overhaul of the dressing room this summer, aware that he had been undermined by some malcontents speaking to club owner Mel Morris, a micro-manager who demands success and is not known for his patience - four managers in just over a year testify to that.

But it is his club, his £100m-plus investment, and he will run it his way.

Interesting..

Pat Murphy is the Beeb's Midlands football correspondent, and is usually rolled out whenever there's a sacking or a crisis at one of the region's clubs.

Seemingly overnight he seems to know a great deal about the politics of each individual club.

Pinch of salt I think..

12 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

You'll be a huge loss but I reckon we'll manage without you.

I'm so relieved to hear that.

I'd already made my mind up a while ago that this would be my last - several reasons which I've mentioned on another thread. Nothing to do with Mac's sacking.

Taken time to think about this rather than my usual hot headed response which would probably have led to numerous arguments and a ban!

I actually think that Mel has made the correct decision.

I don't base that on anything to do with the footballing side of matters but if the Chairman had his doubts and could not give his full backing then now was the right time to make the change.

Seeing the statement put out last night mentioning 'team unity and morale' shows something was definitely amiss and I think the body language of some players showed this. In particular Johnny Russell and Will Hughes.

I wonder how much of an effect the tinkering for the FA Cup had on players? It also must be baffling to go from the subs bench one week, to starting the next week to being out of the squad the next.

I have my reservations over appointing Rowett but will not say I am set against it.

By now any potential manager must know what Mel expects in terms of football so it's not like Rowett would be going into the job blind.

Hopefully the rest of the season will be used to find out who really wants to be part of the club and who is here for the ride.

BBC: Gary Rowett: Derby County set to appoint former Birmingham City boss as manager

1 hour ago

Gary Rowett is expected to be appointed as Derby County manager before Saturday's game with rivals Nottingham Forest, BBC Radio Derby reports.

Derby, 10th in the Championship, fired Steve McClaren on Sunday, just five months into his second spell in charge.

Rowett has been out of work since being sacked by Birmingham in December, with Blues seventh in the table.

The 43-year-old, who lives in Derby, made 120 appearances for the Rams as a defender between 1995 and 1998.

Rowett has also been linked with the vacant Norwich job, and held talks with Scottish Premiership side Rangers earlier this month before they appointed Pedro Caixinha.

Kevin Summerfield, who worked as Rowett's assistant at Burton Albion and Birmingham, is expected to join the coaching staff at Pride Park.

County's next boss will be their fifth in 13 months, following Paul Clement, Darren Wassall, Nigel Pearson and McClaren.

Rowett's management credentials

Birmingham City (October 2014-December 2016) - 106 games, won 42, draws 32 lost 32

Burton Albion (March 2012-October 2014) - games 142, won 63, draws 34, lost 45

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Taken time to think about this rather than my usual hot headed response which would probably have led to numerous arguments and a ban!

I actually think that Mel has made the correct decision.

I don't base that on anything to do with the footballing side of matters but if the Chairman had his doubts and could not give his full backing then now was the right time to make the change.

Seeing the statement put out last night mentioning 'team unity and morale' shows something was definitely amiss and I think the body language of some players showed this. In particular Johnny Russell and Will Hughes.

I wonder how much of an effect the tinkering for the FA Cup had on players? It also must be baffling to go from the subs bench one week, to starting the next week to being out of the squad the next.

I have my reservations over appointing Rowett but will not say I am set against it.

By now any potential manager must know what Mel expects in terms of football so it's not like Rowett would be going into the job blind.

Hopefully the rest of the season will be used to find out who really wants to be part of the club and who is here for the ride.

Spot on.. 

All eyes on Morris now making the right decision... Finally !!

Still cant help feeling that the wheels really came off after the FA Cup game at Leicester.. Still cant square that circle.

4 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Spot on.. 

All eyes on Morris now making the right decision... Finally !!

Still cant help feeling that the wheels really came off after the FA Cup game at Leicester.. Still cant square that circle.

It did...

McLaren picked a strong side in the first leg and only a late equaliser stopped us going through.

Then he make's 8 changes for a replay which at the time we seriously could've won considering the state Leicester were in and the fact they made 10 changes.

A week later after the fiasco's against Bristol and Cardiff our season was effectively over, I said this at the time.

This recent run of form has been all too reminiscent of the shambolic end of McLaren's last reign here.... it's been like history repeating itself.

That said, as bad as we were against Brighton, last night's news I think took us all by surprise... I thought there might be a chance he could go if we get turned over by the red dogs on Saturday, but not yet..

I don't always agree with Mel but I think he was right to act now, and his statement last night spoke for me and I'm sure a lot of other life long Derby fans and how we feel about this club.

He also wanted to get Rowett in before Norwich beat us to it..

It's every man, or in this case, every team for itself. The decision to get rid of Mac so quickly was most likely due to the fact that there are some wanted candidates available right now, and they could be snapped up by the end of the season. We've realised that and we're acting very quickly to make sure we get Rowett. Even Forest have realised that and despite announcing that they're keeping Brazil until the end of the season, they're now moving for Warburton.

Had a quick glance at the Norwich forum and most aren't too pleased that they're hanging about. From the out of work managers available, my top two choices would be Rowett and Warburton. Looking at the odds with those two taken out, Norwich's four 'most likely' candidates for their boss are Alan Pardew, Roy Hodgson, Gary Holt and Alan Irvine. Obviously the last two are there due to connections to Norwich City but I'd rather act now to get Rowett/Warburton than wait til the summer and be left with Pardew or Hodgson.

9 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Obviously the last two are there due to connections to Norwich City but I'd rather act now to get Rowett/Warburton than wait til the summer and be left with Pardew or Hodgson.

I know little of him but what's wrong with Alex Neil?

Archived