Mac Sacked

LeedsRam1999

McClaren Sacking  

356 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, SecretDave said:

I've had it up to here with these players to be honest now. It seems every time the manager upsets them slightly, they just give up and go running to the chairman. I think our current mix of players is toxic and we need a massive clear out in the summer, and move back to players that the manager can trust. Going to be easier said than done to move some of these players on though.

I've seen what a poisonous group of players can do at my club. It is essential that the new manager discovers who the bad eggs are and insists Mel Morris gets them out pronto.

However much it costs it is worth it in the long run. We're going down and it could be a decade and more before we return. Yet we still have at least three members of the squad who've seen off about half a dozen managers. Ellis Short has made numerous mistakes and it's going to cost him £100,000,000 plus as a result. But his greatest mistake was allowing a clique of vipers to have their way, sacking Paolo Di Canio after just a baker's dozen matches. The players knew they were in charge then and our current plight became inevitable. Don't allow it to happen at Derby County.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, WoollyJumper said:

But do we really know that's whats happened? Or are we just making assumptions based on something appearing in someones report?

It's obvious to me as a supporter watching these players that they have not been playing to their potential. They've had alot of different managers now and they keep on playing way under their potential, they only have themselves to blame for this! I don't care less if the lot of them are put up for sale to be honest. Let's build up a young, hungry team that's not just there for a big, fat pay cheque.

12 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Before you criticise Mel you have to take a step back. Every decision he makes is, in his opinion, the best for the club. He never makes a decision that isn't for the best of the club. 

Playing devils advocate, we're up to 6th in the league, Mel backs McClaren in January (Hughes, Martin big contracts + Nugent & de sart) regardless of whether these are right or wrong they are significant financial outlays. Rather than kick on or even maintain the form/ keep some sort of half decent form going we've gone backwards. Not one fan has been happy with performances since Christmas (bar Leicester at home). 

Id have given MAC until this time next year to see where we are but then again I've not poured millions of my hard earned fortune into the club.

Agree with most, but not sure  Mel investing in saleable assets constitutes backing McClaren, we're a bit light on players of value

14 minutes ago, ROKERITE said:

I've seen what a poisonous group of players can do at my club. It is essential that the new manager discovers who the bad eggs are and insists Mel Morris gets them out pronto.

However much it costs it is worth it in the long run. We're going down and it could be a decade and more before we return. Yet we still have at least three members of the squad who've seen off about half a dozen managers. Ellis Short has made numerous mistakes and it's going to cost him £100,000,000 plus as a result. But his greatest mistake was allowing a clique of vipers to have their way, sacking Paolo Di Canio after just a baker's dozen matches. The players knew they were in charge then and our current plight became inevitable. Don't allow it to happen at Derby County.

Your trouble started with lots of bad signings scouted by Mo Camara.

guess where he is now.

12 hours ago, valleyram said:

I wonder why ? U will see the best of them starting Saturday 

So you are saying Bryson has not been trying, or playing his best on purpose because Mac was manager? If not that is certainly what you look like you are saying.

BBC Radio 5 live's Pat Murphy

So the Derby players escape responsibility while the manager who has been at the club five months carries the can.

Steve McClaren had an immediate effect last autumn, taking the club out of the bottom four and impressing with his acknowledged coaching skill, but the players shrivelled in the face of promotion expectations.

McClaren had set in place a major overhaul of the dressing room this summer, aware that he had been undermined by some malcontents speaking to club owner Mel Morris, a micro-manager who demands success and is not known for his patience - four managers in just over a year testify to that.

But it is his club, his £100m-plus investment, and he will run it his way.

59 minutes ago, WoollyJumper said:

With all this talk about a player type of revolt against the Manager, why would that necessarily be seen as a bad thing. If the players are not happy with the direction that the manager is taking them, and given the recent direction the performances seemed to be heading, wouldn't you want your team voicing their concern? Now I'm not for one moment suggesting that every time the players are not happy about something that they ask to have a manager sacked, but I'm sure that they have been asked to buy into what the chairman is trying to achieve, and perhaps they didn't see it being demonstrated by the manager, and felt compelled to raise the concern.

I definitely wouldn't work for a company that encourages that sort of thing. 

12 hours ago, philmycock said:

Rowett a shoe in, yet unproven in getting a championship club promoted, and he rates Shotton, we are shafted now, Mac's had no money to spend, joke of a club. Come on you Rams, pffft.

He only had the money for shotton, there is a difference

Not read through 43 pages so apologies if this has been said but CM will probably stay at Fulham ,I am half pleased at the moment because SM could not put us right IMO needs a full rebuild .I will be fully pleased if Mel picks the right man next but I am not holding my breath.

4 minutes ago, BarrowRam said:

BBC Radio 5 live's Pat Murphy

So the Derby players escape responsibility while the manager who has been at the club five months carries the can.

Steve McClaren had an immediate effect last autumn, taking the club out of the bottom four and impressing with his acknowledged coaching skill, but the players shrivelled in the face of promotion expectations.

McClaren had set in place a major overhaul of the dressing room this summer, aware that he had been undermined by some malcontents speaking to club owner Mel Morris, a micro-manager who demands success and is not known for his patience - four managers in just over a year testify to that.

But it is his club, his £100m-plus investment, and he will run it his way.

Would this be the sons position at the club, to be Mel's eyes and ears ? 

Substitute  the word son for Drone and perhaps there was some truth to "Drone Gate"

Was only October I was sat in the boardroom at Pride Park being introduced once again to the man that wrote the blueprints to the Derby Way, given the sales pitch for the next chapter of this club.

It was hard not to fall back in love with the man that brought us the best football since Jim Smith that night but I remained on the fence, I couldn't shift that you should never go back feeling. 

Didn't take long until I found myself falling back in love, I knew it would happen at some point, I always develop strong feelings for those that are follicly challenged, Bruce Willis, Jason Statham, we need to stick together in this world of fancy hairstyles.

Was all going well, too good to be true in fact, I won't sit here and pretend it was anywhere close to the football we saw in 13/14 but McClaren resurrected a season that many saw as being over in October. 

We all knew this squad was underperforming to the extreme under Pearson but not many saw top 6 being a possibility yet there we were whilst our top goalscorer is warming a bench down London.

Christmas came, the squad were given the day off to spend with their families, I can only assume Santa didn't bring them what they wanted, did McClaren have a grotto at Moor Farm? Did the players take it in turn to sit on his knee and tell him what they wanted?

I'm asking because I've been sat here for the last couple of months scratching my head as to why the players have been strolling around the pitch like a bunch of grumpy teenagers in Tesco at the weekend with their mums, this is the best I can come up with.

Chelsea under Mourinho, Leicester under Ranieri and now Derby.....again. Make no mistake player power exists like it or not, why the players suddenly turned against McClaren we'll never know, we're just the fans, fans that are being asked to stump up their season ticket renewals as we all gather back on square 1 awaiting to arrive the next victim....Sorry manager!

This season is over, done and dusted, I can't get my head around the dismissing the man that masterminded the blueprints for the style of football this club wants to achieve, will know the work that needs to be done this summer and not show those unsettled players where the exit is. 

Hands up who wants to be at the club, the rest of you get in touch with your agent, grab your man bag you're free to leave. 

That's the frustration talking which will soon pass, ask Chelsea fans how they feel about Hazard and co today as they head towards the title or Leicester fans as Vardy sends them to safety. 

Villa have proven how difficult it is to replace an entire team, it need to be done over a period of time and that manager must not only be given the time by the club, the players also need to be on board and not throw tantrums. 

Friday night we saw a club just like it, they deserve the success they will be rewarded with this season.

Can't help but feel all this mess is ******* Bobby Zamora's fault

No surprise with the sacking for me. Right decision.

When McClaren was re-appointed it felt right. I thought he'd learnt a lot of lessons from his Derby & Newcastle spells and would come back with a real point to prove.

Five months on and I saw nothing that backed up that thinking. It's almost a repeat of two years ago. Same formations, playing players in the wrong positions, chopping and changing hoping that something will click. There never appeared to be a plan.

I always felt that McClaren got lucky in his first spell. It's now clear that Clough assembled something brilliant and was just missing 'a piece', which I now believe to be 'fun'. McClaren came in, made training enjoyable. Maybe slackened the chains a little. Whatever happened it worked.

The following season started promisingly. But once injuries, suspensions, etc. kicked in he never ever looked like he knew another way out. He persisted trying to play football when we needed to grind out results. I remember watching back then and thinking how could he not see where we needed to change. How? He's a skilled coach. It was obvious to us mere mortals.

History is repeating itself and he is responsible for that. He's had one transfer window and brought in De Saart who's identical to Mascarell. Does he not remember the grief that poor lad got?. Was it not obvious that we needed a ball winner/tough guy? It was to most sitting in the stands.

Formation! It's old hat now. Teams know how to play us and pray on our weak full backs who have no idea what they're doing going forward, nor back. They're floaters.

We've almost gone an entire season playing an isolated Darren Bent who isn't mobile enough. But then we're giving Martin a new contract and he's less mobile. Where's the thinking?.

It all needed change. Not just an attempt to recreate the 2013/14 team, style, tactics.

As for Morris, he does my head in, but I genuinely think he had to sack Clement and Pearson because of off-field matters that he couldn't control. They had to go whether he wanted them to or not. He then had little option but to give McClaren another go, which took some bottle. It was a gamble that could have gone either way, and we now know which.

Rowett might not be the amazing coach that McClaren supposedly is, but I dare say he'll identify our weaknesses pretty quick. He always seemed to exploit them when managing against us.

11 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

I felt SM should have been given at least until next season but having listened to his post- Brighton interview I can't say I'm overly disappointed he's gone.

The team performance was abysmal. They just rolled over to get their bellies tickled and that's a terrible indictment of a substantial part of this squad which needs a drastic overhaul. Until a month ago I thought 2 or 3 key additions was all that was needed to restore some balance to the team but that feeling has been blown away by the performances since then.

But what's been worse is McClaren's failure to face the situation full on. To highlight that we've only been given the complete runaround by Newcastle, Leeds and now Brighton conveys to 'outsiders' that we've done OK in all the other games - we haven't. We've been poor to average in virtually every match since he replaced Pearson, despite the winning run and record number of clean sheets. I can only think of Wolves and Forest home fixtures where I've left the ground thinking 'that was good - more of the same and I can relax that we're back on track, if not this season but definitely next.

It wasn't happening so I'm not in the least surprised by todays' events. What concerns me is the dearth of suitable candidates to take over. Yes I'll be renewing for next season- that was never in doubt - but oh for a return of those feelings of anticipation going to matches. They'll come back one day but at the moment I haven't a clue when that will be.

Very good summery of my feelings and thoughts

I woke up from a nightmare during the night.... 

It was the year 2025 and Stevie Mac was still manager of Derby County, giving a post match interview after a one nil home defeat to Ssausagehorpe saying a massive amount of work still needed to be done .:(

Archived