Progressing Players

sage

Just from the fact we bought a lot of these with 6 months/a year left on their contract or on a free (Pearce), we stand to make a profit, but I get the point.

To be fair, I think McClaren himself is probably the manager who's added the most value onto players. Martin, Bryson at a time, Ince, Thorne, Russell, Forsyth and most certainly Buxton had their value raised by McClaren.

The way transfer fees in the championship have changed in the past few years plays a factor too, the amount it would cost us to bring a Keogh type (27/28 year old proven Champ CB) now would be three or four times what we paid for him in 2012.

Weirdly, the manager that has probably made us the most money out of a transfer fee has been Martin O'Neill with Hendrick at the Euro's. Raised the value of Christie a bit too.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

It is amazing Angieram but in all fairness he had some shocking games at the end of his last proper season with us.

I'm genuinely pleased for him. On his day made exceptional saves but as you say some truly horrendous howlers..... Wolves away I remember far too well sadly. Still, Grant like many players I wish well. Trying to think of last player I thought 'hope he fails' after leaving us:o

16 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

We seemed to do OK with the Albentosa deal. Also, there appeared to be a reasonable amount of interest over Camara from French teams in January. Perhaps the moral is to buy relatively inexpensively oversea?

Carson would command a decent profit and could play Premier League no problem. Pearce we got on a free and could be sold for profit. Ince would likely sell for a profit too.

Bent is too old to sell. We would probably lose money on Johnson, Butterfield, Vydra, Blackman, Shackell, Anya, Nugent.

I've probably missed lots. That's a 5:7 split so not as bad as you might expect.

Bent too old to sell..... I'm sure you meant to add ....'for a profit?!!' Poor Darren:lol:

11 minutes ago, SKRam said:

I'm genuinely pleased for him. On his day made exceptional saves but as you say some truly horrendous howlers..... Wolves away I remember far too well sadly. Still, Grant like many players I wish well. Trying to think of last player I thought 'hope he fails' after leaving us:o

Jamie Ward? 

Just for his destination, nothing personal.

1 minute ago, reveldevil said:

Jamie Ward? 

Just for his destination, nothing personal.

Haha, perhaps perfect scenario would have been them losing 2-4 every week with Ward scoring their two goals each time? 

People saying Thorne must be kidding?! £3m plus we paid for a man that has basically not played for 3 seasons because of 3 separate injuries, each of them he's returned to fitness slower than the one before. How can that make a players stock rise?!

Christie Ince Hughes Lowe (Russell?) are the only players whose value has increased from what we paid, which is pretty awful really. Albentosa was a decent risk considering the low cost. Hendrick and Grant had increased value but quite telling that eachs stock increased when they played for someone else. 

3 hours ago, TroyDyer said:

People saying Thorne must be kidding?! £3m plus we paid for a man that has basically not played for 3 seasons because of 3 separate injuries, each of them he's returned to fitness slower than the one before. How can that make a players stock rise?!

I'd bid £4m for him, just to pass me the soap in the shower and mow the lawn topless.

Touching would be an add on, obviously.

21 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Just from the fact we bought a lot of these with 6 months/a year left on their contract or on a free (Pearce), we stand to make a profit, but I get the point.

To be fair, I think McClaren himself is probably the manager who's added the most value onto players. Martin, Bryson at a time, Ince, Thorne, Russell, Forsyth and most certainly Buxton had their value raised by McClaren.

The way transfer fees in the championship have changed in the past few years plays a factor too, the amount it would cost us to bring a Keogh type (27/28 year old proven Champ CB) now would be three or four times what we paid for him in 2012.

Weirdly, the manager that has probably made us the most money out of a transfer fee has been Martin O'Neill with Hendrick at the Euro's. Raised the value of Christie a bit too.

How much did Jake go for?

This seems to be a player valuation excercise butba bit like your house there is a market price at anyone time and that changes despite any improvements,extensions or lack of maintenance. 

Should we be saying who has become a better player since they arrived ? ( regardless of value )!as in more skilled or effective 

Will = defo

Keogh = defo

Ince = probably 

Russell = probably

Pearce = maybe 

Christie = stood still 

Ollson = stood still 

Butterfield = stood still 

Johnson = hanging in there 

Anya = don't know 

I don't see any skill effectiveness gain in any other player ? ( not put Lowe Hanson and newish academy boys in obviously ) 

On 08/03/2017 at 17:59, sage said:

Two questions

Who have we signed post NC who is worth more now than we signed them for?

and...

Who at Derby has gone on to play at the same or higher level after leaving us in the last 10 years?

Part of the problem I have with your question is after NC we were moderately successful.

We immediately attached our better players to longer contracts in a bid to go one better after Wembley. Meaning they would be on good money, no championship clubs could afford them, and some premiership clubs couldnt match our wages.

Only a silly bid from a really bid club would have seen our players better themselves. But these never came, nor would Derby have welcomed them. Burnley were in for Keogh, and Bryson but only hendrick actually did leave you would argue only after the Euros where he starred in a squad of premiership players.

Do Wisdom and Ibe count (who werent ours in the first place) as playing at a higher level.

I thought not being a selling club was a good thing!

12 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Part of the problem I have with your question is after NC we were moderately successful.

We immediately attached our better players to longer contracts in a bid to go one better after Wembley. Meaning they would be on good money, no championship clubs could afford them, and some premiership clubs couldnt match our wages.

Only a silly bid from a really bid club would have seen our players better themselves. But these never came, nor would Derby have welcomed them. 

I'm not sure about that. From various reports it would seem that a lot only had their wages raised to a couple of thousand higher than Sammon's.

Burnley matched our wages for Bryson… what clinched it for us was that we gave him two additional years and he'd receive a promotion bonus whereas at Burnley he would have had a relegation clause. 

We didn't go mad, we just did enough. 

the problem is that the players we have spent a fair bit on have decreased in value or nobody would want them. 

Butterfield-think he was around £4m. Who would even want to sign him? 

Johnson-£6m+ who would want to even sign him for free? Because he's on mega wages and doesn't look like a player that should be on big wages. 

Vydra-8.5m. Tried really hard but who would again even want him for say £1m and pay him big wages as his form doesn't reflect it. 

Ince- might be able to make a profit on.

blackman-is not even worth taking about

anya-can't even get in our team. 

Nealy £30m worth of players there and only one would get interest and that would be ince. He's played well on occasions and scored quite a few. I just get mad every time I think of these underperforming, over paid and over rated players 

1 hour ago, Derbyram1983 said:

the problem is that the players we have spent a fair bit on have decreased in value or nobody would want them. 

Butterfield-think he was around £4m. Who would even want to sign him? 

Johnson-£6m+ who would want to even sign him for free? Because he's on mega wages and doesn't look like a player that should be on big wages. 

Vydra-8.5m. Tried really hard but who would again even want him for say £1m and pay him big wages as his form doesn't reflect it. 

Ince- might be able to make a profit on.

blackman-is not even worth taking about

anya-can't even get in our team. 

Nealy £30m worth of players there and only one would get interest and that would be ince. He's played well on occasions and scored quite a few. I just get mad every time I think of these underperforming, over paid and over rated players 

January prices for players like lansbury suggested there had been a significant general price inflation across the board.

So I reckon we might get a few m back on Johnson Butterfield and vydra if we keep playing them (and vydra scores a few mire). Perhaps 50% of what we paid.

Blackman sadly looks an increasingly poor buy. A crock who doesn't fit.

Anya - why?

Our recruitment has been the poorest part of the club for a while now.

Archived