Dilly Ding Dilly Gone

Kernow

Leicester right to sack Ranieri?  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, David said:

Of course. There's no guarantees in football, be it resting players in cup games focusing on the league, manager sackings, appointments and player signings. Every move is a gamble.

If they went down would it have been acceptable to sack him?

I think he should have had till the end of the season. I think if they'd gone down he might well have walked then anyway, as he seems that sort of bloke.

Looking at the table, where does it leave Eddie Howe, Moyes and Karanka?

I think there has been this reaction because he was the friendly face of what LCFC did last season. If the manager had been an uncommunicative statue might be different.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, curtains said:

It's not acceptable to sack the guy IMO after what he did last season with a team like Leicester but Shakespeare who is now temporarily in the managers seat was behind Pearson and Ranieris success as was Walsh

So he's completely unsackable, Ranieri leaves Leicester when he's had enough and not a day before, even if it's League 1, 2?

I can't get on board with that. 

A lot on here are really passionate about the FA Cup, they would prioritise it over the promotion, speak about how Wigan fans feel about that day, how special it was, never take those memories away from them. The same season Martinez took them down a few days later and walked, joined Everton.

Ranieri resigned from Atletico when they were relegated, avoided relegation with Parma and resigned, resigned at Roma. 

Whos to say he wouldn't have walked at the end of the season?

Loyalty is a great idea yet doesn't exist in football, owners are expected to stand by managers yet they don't mind walking away when a better offer comes along. It has to work both ways or not at all.

3 minutes ago, David said:

So he's completely unsackable, Ranieri leaves Leicester when he's had enough and not a day before, even if it's League 1, 2?

I can't get on board with that. 

A lot on here are really passionate about the FA Cup, they would prioritise it over the promotion, speak about how Wigan fans feel about that day, how special it was, never take those memories away from them. The same season Martinez took them down a few days later and walked, joined Everton.

Ranieri resigned from Atletico when they were relegated, avoided relegation with Parma and resigned, resigned at Roma. 

Whos to say he wouldn't have walked at the end of the season?

Loyalty is a great idea yet doesn't exist in football, owners are expected to stand by managers yet they don't mind walking away when a better offer comes along. It has to work both ways or not at all.

That's another  way of looking at it . 

25 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

I think he should have had till the end of the season. I think if they'd gone down he might well have walked then anyway, as he seems that sort of bloke.

So saying this is it really that unfair the owners pushed him before he walked? Chance to save themselves from relegation.

*Nobody knows he would walk but it's not unthinkable.

Looking at the table, where does it leave Eddie Howe, Moyes and Karanka?

Howe will be safe as long as they stay up but another manager I can see walking if they did, a number of clubs would be queuing up for him. Controversial maybe but the job he's done at Bournemouth is far greater than Ranieri's one season at Leicester. Whilst Leicester's title will hold fonder memories, Howe has literally transformed Bournemouth's future as long as they stay sensible with their spending.

Karanka should be safe as well if you just go on the league even with relegation, Boro have only just gone up, it's not like they've won the Prem title and plummeted. Seemed some friction between the club and Karanka in January though over signings so don't be surprised to see him sacked/resigned still.

Moyes difficult one, took an established club down but haven't backed him financially so I'm not sure what they could expect. No Prem club will touch him after 3 failures, be silly to walk.

I think there has been this reaction because he was the friendly face of what LCFC did last season. If the manager had been an uncommunicative statue might be different.

100%, all this dilly dong stuff puts him in the Klopp category, media, fans love him, so many angry ********* in the game it's nice to see a happy bloke having a laugh

Just heard Danny Mills on the radio saying that all players are selfish and will blame somebody else for playing poorly. 

Ok it's Danny Mills, so it is probably sensationalism at best but the whole idea that nobody takes responsibility for what they do does seem to be accurate in football. It really is full of *****.

32 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Just heard Danny Mills on the radio saying that all players are selfish and will blame somebody else for playing poorly. 

Ok it's Danny Mills, so it is probably sensationalism at best but the whole idea that nobody takes responsibility for what they do does seem to be accurate in football. It really is full of *****.

Not just in football! It's bloody everywhere. 

8 hours ago, David said:

It's not ****** and if you read the thread I'm not the only person to see this so not sure why I've been called out for it. Can link you to a number of journalists that agree, it's where the game is today, like it or not.

Last season is last season, winning a title doesn't give you immunity from the sack. Who's to say Ranieri wouldn't have walked had they gone down? There is no loyalty in football anymore be it owners, managers or players.

This isn't the first manager to be sacked following a title win, obviously Leicesters is slightly different given the size of the club but football is a results game and you quickly move on.

I do wonder if Ranieri wasn't so liked in the media and this was a Billy Davies type manager the outrage wouldn't be anywhere near what it is.

First of all, apologies if I came across as overly aggressive, that wasn't my intent. As for journalists and other people agreeing, so what? They have an opinion, others may think differently.

Now, whether the Ranieri sacking was right or wrong from a results point of view is neither here nor there as far as my post was concerned. (although, for what it's worth I think it was wrong) No, my point is that it's wrong to say that 'there is no place for sentiment in football'. At the risk of repeating myself, I contend that without sentiment we have no football.

From the Leicester owner's point of view perhaps the sacking can be justified, fair enough, But results, or more to the point financial considerations, cannot be allowed to be the be all and end all. Football has a soul, and emotion has to enter into such decisions or all is lost.

2 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

First of all, apologies if I came across as overly aggressive, that wasn't my intent. As for journalists and other people agreeing, so what? They have an opinion, others may think differently.

Now, whether the Ranieri sacking was right or wrong from a results point of view is neither here nor there as far as my post was concerned. (although, for what it's worth I think it was wrong) No, my point is that it's wrong to say that 'there is no place for sentiment in football'. At the risk of repeating myself, I contend that without sentiment we have no football.

From the Leicester owner's point of view perhaps the sacking can be justified, fair enough, But results, or more to the point financial considerations, cannot be allowed to be the be all and end all. Football has a soul, and emotion has to enter into such decisions or all is lost.

No need to apologise, just found it odd that only I got called out a couple times now, maybe it's the sentiment line I used.

Football is a results business now, money in the game is insane, like it or not that's where we are now. 

We want to believe there's more to it than that, when your star player signs a contract, kisses the badge they mean it, they love Derby County but the truth is when someone bigger comes along with more money they are gone, same with managers.

I guess I've become hardened to it all now, accepted things won't change and see the business side to it all. 

I say all this like I was stood on a milk crate in the Popside during the black and white tv days, I wasn't, football has always been about money for as long as I can remember but it's gone nuts over the last decade.

On 25/02/2017 at 13:06, David said:

So saying this is it really that unfair the owners pushed him before he walked? Chance to save themselves from relegation.

*Nobody knows he would walk but it's not unthinkable.

Howe will be safe as long as they stay up but another manager I can see walking if they did, a number of clubs would be queuing up for him. Controversial maybe but the job he's done at Bournemouth is far greater than Ranieri's one season at Leicester. Whilst Leicester's title will hold fonder memories, Howe has literally transformed Bournemouth's future as long as they stay sensible with their spending.

Karanka should be safe as well if you just go on the league even with relegation, Boro have only just gone up, it's not like they've won the Prem title and plummeted. Seemed some friction between the club and Karanka in January though over signings so don't be surprised to see him sacked/resigned still.

Moyes difficult one, took an established club down but haven't backed him financially so I'm not sure what they could expect. No Prem club will touch him after 3 failures, be silly to walk.

100%, all this dilly dong stuff puts him in the Klopp category, media, fans love him, so many angry ********* in the game it's nice to see a happy bloke having a laugh

All good points. Truth is now that the players and the owners are really under pressure to stay up. I am not sure they will get the dead cat bounce. They have to get somebody strong in straight away -  O'Neill has ruled himself out, don't think Pardew would fancy it, Mancini I don't think will either. 

The players have got to start playing at their best starting with Monday v Klopp's L'pool. Worst team to play in the circumstances. If L'pool run riot their morale could take a battering. I also think their run-in looks awkward.

I wonder if CR going to training ground to 'say goodbye properly' yesterday might have messed with their heads. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/02/26/premier-league-champions-leicester-lost-way-sense-direction/

An interesting article with Leicester's former sports psychologist. Not saying I completely agree with all sports psychology, but it's certainly an 'interesting' take (especially his definition of terrorists). Could also argue the Pearson/Ranieri dynamic he presents could possibly be similar to Clough/Mclaren

17 minutes ago, David said:

I don't buy what he's saying about Leicester's players not being bothered about losing money because they can get signed by somebody new. 

Take Vardy for example. Even if Leicester are down for just one season Vardy stands to lose over £2,000,000 and who's going to sign him and match even £60,000 a week wages after the season he's had? 

7 minutes ago, cannable said:

I don't buy what he's saying about Leicester's players not being bothered about losing money because they can get signed by somebody new. 

Take Vardy for example. Even if Leicester are down for just one season Vardy stands to lose over £2,000,000 and who's going to sign him and match even £60,000 a week wages after the season he's had? 

Most PL clubs will snap him up. Probably for the wrong reasons. Look at Eden Hazard. He had an awful season last season after a couple of brilliant ones. And now he's doing good again. PL clubs would probably think the same for Vardy. It won't happen though. 

When Man City went down 1938, at least they scored more goals than any other team.

Ranieri needed to go. If manager can't get champions to the at least midtable, he simply should go. This is football, if you want loyalty, get a dog.

1 hour ago, Dimmu said:

When Man City went down 1938, at least they scored more goals than any other team.

Ranieri needed to go. If manager can't get champions to the at least midtable, he simply should go. This is football, if you want loyalty, get a dog.

Doggie Freedman, Kennel Dogleash, Emile Husky?

Archived