Dilly Ding Dilly Gone

Kernow

Leicester right to sack Ranieri?  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel it's harsh on Ranieri, he delivered a miracle to them last season. 

To play devil's advocate, you'd have expected them to do better this season though? Player power, poor tactics, wrong signings made, whatever the problems they have are, you'd think the reigning champions could have performed better than they have.

If they haven't got someone really strong lined up right now - by which I mean sitting in the stands for the next game - I think they are in real trouble.

I would hope the players are feeling really guilty, but he will have to come in and be tough, but then if they keep losing they will start to resent him. Then if they get relegated anyway the new manager will end up being binned also and will be reviled by the Foxes fans for all time.

Its a poisoned chalice. 

Not sure its such a ridiculous decision, the owners had to do something to avoid the ignominy and financial cost of relegation, especially as champions. They have probably seen how Villa have struggled in the Championship and have recognised that an automatic bounce back to the premiership is never guaranteed, following relegation.

If, as is now being reported on Sky Sports news, the players had a meeting with the chairman to express dissatisfaction with their manager, then the board had to do something - although there are some parallels with another club some 26 miles up the road from them...............? The choices are to either change the manager or change the players - good luck with getting that one right, in the eyes of the punters.

Whilst football is now touted as "a business", as a sport it is morally bankrupt. Telling players to "take a long hard look at themselves"  sadly harks back to a previous era, before accumulating obscene quantities of money became the all-encompassing obsession  of today's  players and their agents. The second half display against Seville demonstrated how they had been holding out on Ranieri, as much as the same squad of players had been holding out on Pearson in his last season there.

Its a sad reflection on the game today and football, as I used to know it, just died a little more with last night's news  

9 hours ago, eddie said:

The levels of entitlement amongst many Leicester fans remind me of somewhere else. Can't quite put my finger on it.

Haven't see you for a while, hope you're well Eddie 

I like Ranieri I really do. A gentleman, funny, honest...

However, just as he was responsible for them winning the league he is responsible for them being in danger of relegation. The buck always stops with the manager.

He deserved better of course, but it's not a strange decision given the way football has been the last 25 years. If you're judging on this season and the prospects for next, which the owners have to, then there are legitimate reasons to have concerns (in post 1992 terms). He bought terribly in the summer and now is unable to motivate his players and they are in danger of relegation - if he hadn't won the league last season that would be enough grounds to sack him.

Getting rid of him might be the reason they don't go down, might be the reason they do. I hope they do and they can go back to their position of irrelevance in English football.

It's just another symptom of the curse of post-modern era football.

1 hour ago, mrdave85 said:

I feel it's harsh on Ranieri, he delivered a miracle to them last season. 

To play devil's advocate, you'd have expected them to do better this season though? Player power, poor tactics, wrong signings made, whatever the problems they have are, you'd think the reigning champions could have performed better than they have.

People may have expected them to do better, but here's my breakdown (only my opinion mind) of individual reasons why they have done so poorly this campaign and how each of these factors have contributed to their current downfall. Obviously I have the benefit of hindsight;

In the same way everything was right for Leicester last season, they've had a lot go against them in this.

Let's start with them finishing 1st.

The Chelsea players actually performing and not throwing a hissy fit to get the manager the boot; 2nd

The other sides up the top strengthening more than Leicester did, perhaps in part due to the ability to attract players compared to the traditionally big sides, perhaps due to how much the owners were prepared to lash out (Paul Pogba etc) perhaps down to Claudio, perhaps the recruitment team. Most probably all of the above, but how much each factor is responsible, we'll never know; 4th

Losing Kante, by far their most influential player; 7th

The distraction/extra games of the champions league, especially for a side with a smaller squad. This smaller squad being exposed by Ranieri putting out a virtual second eleven for the 5-0 drubbing by Porto, ditto their cup defeat by the Wall; 10th

Other Prem sides wiser in how to combat their style/losing the surprise factor, apart from their seeding it's a big reason they're still in the CL as european sides haven't yet had this advantage. Tied in with this is the fact that their style of defence for the quick counter has been affected by the new rules on "grabbing in the box." With older (and another year older than last season) knowledgable robust defenders, the Foxes defence relied a lot on positional nous and physicality rather than pace. One of their strengths in that regard has now been blunted; 13th

Luck, including not getting all the penalties they received last season, not having as much luck on the injury front, and just plain old ball going 6 inches either side of a post luck; 15th

The players heads dropping when they saw how far they had fallen/ being fannies; 17th/18th

It is debatable how much responsibility Ranieri actually has for their fall from grace, but I think the owners are disloyal rats for acting like they have. Obviously as a Boro fan I'd have preferred them to go down over us, but I'm often a romantic concerning football and theirs was perhaps the most compelling fairytale in my time as a fan; how one of the most unfancied sides with achievements similar to Boro 18 months ago could do over all six of the big boys and every other club above them and pis$ all over the league with a thoroughly nice bloke at the helm. I didn't want the fairytale to end for him this way or by relegation. Given a choice of sides for the drop prior to yesterday, I'd have wanted Sunderland (obviously, given my team) Palace (Big Fat greedy Sam) and Burnley (fat chance of them dropping to be fair, don't mind the club or the fans, but have a strong dislike for the hypocritical, whining, 'poor little Burnley', security guard lookalike that is Sean Dyche)

Now however I want Leicester out of that league as the greedy barstewards from overseas who have NO empathy with any of the fans over here need to be given a dose of their own medicine right where it hurts, in the wallet, and also to partly exhonerate from blame the man who gave the world of supporters of lesser clubs one of the most hopeful stories we'll ever see. So if Burnley escape the drop that's now fine by me (just as well really, as they'll probably be bouncing around celebrating their survival with the easter bunny this year ha)

So let's all hope Leicester finish bottom. With Alan Pardew at the helm perhaps, just to see if he'll do that stupid ar$e-wiggling dance as they drop into the champo. Well, maybe just above Sunderland on GD... 

40 minutes ago, ipad1977 said:

People may have expected them to do better, but here's my breakdown (only my opinion mind) of individual reasons why they have done so poorly this campaign and how each of these factors have contributed to their current downfall. Obviously I have the benefit of hindsight;

In the same way everything was right for Leicester last season, they've had a lot go against them in this.

Let's start with them finishing 1st.

The Chelsea players actually performing and not throwing a hissy fit to get the manager the boot; 2nd

The other sides up the top strengthening more than Leicester did, perhaps in part due to the ability to attract players compared to the traditionally big sides, perhaps due to how much the owners were prepared to lash out (Paul Pogba etc) perhaps down to Claudio, perhaps the recruitment team. Most probably all of the above, but how much each factor is responsible, we'll never know; 4th

Losing Kante, by far their most influential player; 7th

The distraction/extra games of the champions league, especially for a side with a smaller squad. This smaller squad being exposed by Ranieri putting out a virtual second eleven for the 5-0 drubbing by Porto, ditto their cup defeat by the Wall; 10th

Other Prem sides wiser in how to combat their style/losing the surprise factor, apart from their seeding it's a big reason they're still in the CL as european sides haven't yet had this advantage. Tied in with this is the fact that their style of defence for the quick counter has been affected by the new rules on "grabbing in the box." With older (and another year older than last season) knowledgable robust defenders, the Foxes defence relied a lot on positional nous and physicality rather than pace. One of their strengths in that regard has now been blunted; 13th

Luck, including not getting all the penalties they received last season, not having as much luck on the injury front, and just plain old ball going 6 inches either side of a post luck; 15th

The players heads dropping when they saw how far they had fallen/ being fannies; 17th/18th

It is debatable how much responsibility Ranieri actually has for their fall from grace, but I think the owners are disloyal rats for acting like they have. Obviously as a Boro fan I'd have preferred them to go down over us, but I'm often a romantic concerning football and theirs was perhaps the most compelling fairytale in my time as a fan; how one of the most unfancied sides with achievements similar to Boro 18 months ago could do over all six of the big boys and every other club above them and pis$ all over the league with a thoroughly nice bloke at the helm. I didn't want the fairytale to end for him this way or by relegation. Given a choice of sides for the drop prior to yesterday, I'd have wanted Sunderland (obviously, given my team) Palace (Big Fat greedy Sam) and Burnley (fat chance of them dropping to be fair, don't mind the club or the fans, but have a strong dislike for the hypocritical, whining, 'poor little Burnley', security guard lookalike that is Sean Dyche)

Now however I want Leicester out of that league as the greedy barstewards from overseas who have NO empathy with any of the fans over here need to be given a dose of their own medicine right where it hurts, in the wallet, and also to partly exhonerate from blame the man who gave the world of supporters of lesser clubs one of the most hopeful stories we'll ever see. So if Burnley escape the drop that's now fine by me (just as well really, as they'll probably be bouncing around celebrating their survival with the easter bunny this year ha)

So let's all hope Leicester finish bottom. With Alan Pardew at the helm perhaps, just to see if he'll do that stupid ar$e-wiggling dance as they drop into the champo. Well, maybe just above Sunderland on GD... 

I like your sentiments at the end, but if it really was that cut and dried I.E losing 2 places for bad luck 3 places for influential players etc., then management would be easy.

Archived