Nigel, tonight.

Warren Hobhead

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I for one need to hold my hands up and admit I was wrong.

I said the Clough was an inept manager and that Burton should be sent back to non league where they belong.

How wrong was I 

clough set his stall out, got the result he wanted and deserved, 

We , as a club so far ahead of Burton in both stature and wealth offered nothing.

if we showed half the passion and drive that they showed last night we'd be up there challenging !!

im off to lie down in a dark room for a few days

Just now, Hollybush said:

Well I for one need to hold my hands up and admit I was wrong.

I said the Clough was an inept manager and that Burton should be sent back to non league where they belong.

How wrong was I 

clough set his stall out, got the result he wanted and deserved, 

We , as a club so far ahead of Burton in both stature and wealth offered nothing.

if we showed half the passion and drive that they showed last night we'd be up there challenging !!

im off to lie down in a dark room for a few days

If he had done his homework and actually come and tried to at least have a shot or two on target, they'd have comfortably won the game - despite being the third worst team we've seen all year (behind Ipswich and ourselves).

I have so little interest in Clough and his opinions (or what other folk think about him) that I can't be bothered to read this whole thread - what I will say is that the way Burton played last night reminded me of why we were right to sack him. I appreciate they're scrapping for their lives and so they did a job and deserved their point, but Clough took a similar approach to playing when we were aiming for promotion - deadly dull football is not why I fork out on my season ticket every year. Burton are welcome to him....

2 minutes ago, David said:

My personal opinions do not effect how I moderate the forum. To suggest so is a personal attack and slanderous.

See how easy it is to turn everything personal?

Everything remained calm until you jumped in two footed calling another member bitter. Read the thread back.

I did read it back.

We see it differently but that's not surprising.

Still I'm sure it's only the three or four threads in the build up and post game that are busy and full of posts that I find either upsetting, nasty or deliberately provocative.

It'll get back to being calm once it's all back in the Clough and Burton thread.

Just now, Gaspode said:

I have so little interest in Clough and his opinions (or what other folk think about him) that I can't be bothered to read this whole thread - what I will say is that the way Burton played last night reminded me of why we were right to sack him. I appreciate they're scrapping for their lives and so they did a job and deserved their point, but Clough took a similar approach to playing when we were aiming for promotion - deadly dull football is not why I fork out on my season ticket every year. Burton are welcome to him....

Clough came here to do certain things, one to cut the playing staff and two to reduce the wage bill to the club. I don't think he was told for one minute to win promotion at all costs.

He worked with very little money and got rid of a huge wage bill.

His job at Burton is no doubt just to keep them up and good luck to him.

Last night, we were 'Cloughed'. We have been on the benefitting side enough times. Results like that are why we never went down under him. On the pitch, he's better at organising a team for survival football than we ever gave him credit for. Burton have no right to stay up when you look at their team, yet with results going their way as they are, they absolutely deserve to be in this league next year.

Hes better than we ever gave him credit for. But last night also proves beyond all doubt that getting rid was the best decision. We would have never progressed past THAT otherwise. 

The thing about Nigel being the clubs manager means different things to different people .As an old git I desperately wanted him to be a success because of his name /dad .

Having said that a younger person who missed those days would judge him entirely on his record without the rose tinted glass's.Which ever camp you are in his past clubs and also his dads are going to evoke stronger feelings than another manager.

I do wish people wouldn't get all precious about Nigel saying we've spent a lot of money since he left. We have spent a lot and not really improved on the 13/14 side.

Would 13/14 have been the season things really started getting exciting under Nigel, we'll never know. I personally think we would have gone on to a decent season under Clough, but plenty disagree with me.

Is Nigel always going to be annoyed about being let go when on the cusp of succeeding? If he is, it's only human and I know I'd be. He did a lot of good work for us which wasn't appreciated until after he'd gone.

I think if there's anything from Nigel's side it's towards Sam Rush and the way he was bundled out because Sam had lined up Steve McClaren.

Nigel Clough is, in my opinion a good, but very distinctive manager - stubborn, occasionally baffling team selections, often seemingly needlessly negative, good eye for a player, values character in the squad and so on. His flaws and virtues are so marked but overall make him good in some situations - for example, he is the manager forest need right now, but he is also Nigel Clough and he turned them down.

20 minutes ago, toddy said:

Clough came here to do certain things, one to cut the playing staff and two to reduce the wage bill to the club. I don't think he was told for one minute to win promotion at all costs.

He worked with very little money and got rid of a huge wage bill.

His job at Burton is no doubt just to keep them up and good luck to him.

Please point out where I said anything to contradict the points you've made - I appreciate why we brought him in and I appreciate what he did - but he took us as far as he was capable of (I didn't say he was supposed to 'win promotion at all costs' (your words) - though I'm pretty sure that the owners didn't want us to become an established mid-table team, so they were indeed 'aiming for promotion' (my words)). I've moved on from the 'Clough Jr' years - it's a shame a few of the folk on here (and the man himself) can't....

I've never really understood why you sacked Clough, and I've seen it as another championship club getting too impatient. From reading the comments on here, it ultimately seems like the negativity cost him, which is unfortunate. I think he has genuinely learned from this mistake, you've only got to look at our (Burton's) match against Wolves. You'd think we'd be holding out for a 1-1, but we kept pushing forward to get the goal, and we did in the 94th minute. He's done a lot to try and shed that Negative Nigel badge since returning to Burton, I'm sure going to an aggressive 3-5-2 at the start of the season influenced that. I've seen a much improved mature manager (well he is 50 now) return.

I do remember the first 10 years under Clough at Burton, winning the Northern Premier to get into the Conference. And then we had 4 or 5 years of backs to the wall football whilst we tried to survive in the Conference. The step up from the Northern Premier to the Conference then is as big as the gulf in quality between L1 & Champ. It took Nigel 6 years to build the Conference winning side to get us into the football league, but in his final season we were playing fantastic football, it truly was a delight to watch, brushing sides away, going on a conference record winning streak (circa 13-15 I can't remember exactly). At Derby he was doing the same thing, gradually building a side, kicking anyone out that upsets the team morale.

So my point is, I do wonder what he would have achieved eventually, it looked he was getting there, year on year improving the league position (bar 1) but as a Burton fan I'm ecstatic to have him back. I did think at the start of the season there isn't a manager in the world that could keep Burton up....I might be wrong.

One final point, any calls (like the guy on Radio Derby on Monday) to get rid of McLaren is utter madness. I do think McLaren is one of the best coaches out there (sometimes his man management is questionable though). He needs to get rid of the players that are not conforming, and get his own players in, and build his own team....so often in the Championship managers aren't given any time to build their own side as they are kicked before they have had even a single transfer window.

56 minutes ago, CLOUGH1971-72 said:

To be honest David is totally clueless when it comes to football. Doesn't understand much at all. 

He's one of the main reasons I don't post on here more often. 

He wont be able to cope with this post so he'll probably ban me. 

I for one would like to thank @David for this.

Doubt he will ban you, just pity you for such a pathetic post.

Still awaiting the breakdown of our £150m spend...

7 minutes ago, Gazbrewer said:

I've never really understood why you sacked Clough, and I've seen it as another championship club getting too impatient. From reading the comments on here, it ultimately seems like the negativity cost him, which is unfortunate. I think he has genuinely learned from this mistake, you've only got to look at our (Burton's) match against Wolves. You'd think we'd be holding out for a 1-1, but we kept pushing forward to get the goal, and we did in the 94th minute. He's done a lot to try and shed that Negative Nigel badge since returning to Burton, I'm sure going to an aggressive 3-5-2 at the start of the season influenced that. I've seen a much improved mature manager (well he is 50 now) return.

Presumably you saw how negatively you played last night? Which was so typically Clough.

You can say you were away, you can say we're a bigger club and all that nonsense. The fact of the matter is, we've been absolutely dreadful since Christmas, and you should be flying after beating Norwich.

Rather than play on a team who are so down on confidence, with fans waiting to get on their back, having conceded 7 goals to teams as bad as you supposedly are in 2 games, you come and literally do not even attempt to score a goal at any point.

Any modicum of scouting would tell you to press us, get in our face high up the pitch and then get balls in the box from any angle and we fall down quicker than Chris Martin in the box. But no, clearly not bothering with football was a better tactic.

3 points were there, you just didn't even try.

12 minutes ago, Srg said:

Presumably you saw how negatively you played last night? Which was so typically Clough.

You can say you were away, you can say we're a bigger club and all that nonsense. The fact of the matter is, we've been absolutely dreadful since Christmas, and you should be flying after beating Norwich.

Rather than play on a team who are so down on confidence, with fans waiting to get on their back, having conceded 7 goals to teams as bad as you supposedly are in 2 games, you come and literally do not even attempt to score a goal at any point.

Any modicum of scouting would tell you to press us, get in our face high up the pitch and then get balls in the box from any angle and we fall down quicker than Chris Martin in the box. But no, clearly not bothering with football was a better tactic.

3 points were there, you just didn't even try.

This is Clough to a tee and why we were *never* going anywhere with him. No doubt he'd call it pragmatic, I'd call it negative and I hated it.

Good luck to Nigel and his staff, and thanks for stabilising our club during the dark times.

As I say, good luck in the future. But would I want him back? No.

arent we all entitled to our own opinions on him? He has his, we have ours, but deep down we all appreciate him steadying the ship don't we?

Archived