Nigel, tonight.

Warren Hobhead

10 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

He did an amazing job for us and was treated very poorly at the end.

Nigel and all his backroom team deserve a huge round of applause as does Barker.....and to quote you I would say that since his departure the only people who have "demonstrated that what they lack in class they make up for in ability to bear a grudge" would be the brain dead Derby fans that boo him.

No way did Nigel do a amazing job,his dad yes but Nigel was average at best

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

NIgel is not biter either , he just doesn't like Sam Rush.

Works both ways this disliking thing, if it gives you carte blanche to pull apart his character why does it upset you if he has a go at the CEO?

You'll never see him having a go at the club, ever. Only the money men who pushed him out.

and @Wolfie what a cowards post that is.

Number one fan/stalker, ffs one of these days admin or the owner of the board will step in and stop people like you from having a personal dig at me.

I don't understand why you think it's ok for others to have a pop 3 or 4 years after he's gone but it's weird for me to stick up for him.

I've probably got more reason to like him than you have for disliking him, yet in your mind I'm the irrational one.

Go figure.

I think you need to step back from this now. You can't complain about someone having a personal dig at you when you did that very thing to me. 

I have no idea what Clough has said about Rush or vice versa, as I don't care. Clough is a public figure and as such everyone will perceive things about him and what I perceive I don't like. That's about it really. 

3 minutes ago, bcnram said:

Nope, you are wrong. With the limitations he had to work with he did an amazing job.

If you think Nigel did a amazing job your easily pleased,yes he cut the wage bill and kept us in the division and spent money wisely in the main but the football was dull especially away from home. Having said that I will politely applaud him we have seen much worse managers at Derby over the years even this season but amazing ? Come on

39 minutes ago, eddie said:

Who's being mardy?

There is a right way and a wrong way of doing something, that's all I'm saying.

To be fair, I do believe the club rang him requesting a meeting and his reply was "if you're going to sack me just do it" or words to that effect…

15 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

I think you need to step back from this now. You can't complain about someone having a personal dig at you when you did that very thing to me. 

I have no idea what Clough has said about Rush or vice versa, as I don't care. Clough is a public figure and as such everyone will perceive things about him and what I perceive I don't like. That's about it really. 

I think accusing someone of being a stalker is *a little* harsher than accusing someone of being bitter (which frankly, reading through the thread and your defensive tone is exactly what you sound like).

I dislike these discussions on Clough and his time here. You have 2 sides that are steadfast on how he performed here. You have the side that think he did an amazing job and those that think he wasn't very good. Then everyone gets all hyperbolic on how he performed, which ups the ante on the other side, and name calling and pettiness starts to be the topic of the thread. It gets rather boring, especially 3 and half years later.

3 hours ago, Papahet said:

When given the funds he brought some utter ***** to the club, Sammon and Maguire the standouts. I'd have never trusted him with ten million to spend, despite Bryson and Martin being successes.

The dull football and the (lack of) ambition put me off going for three or more years. Sam Rush got some grief for giving him the boot but it's one of the best decisions  the club have made this century, without question.

What have I got to appreciate him for? 

First part of this comment is way off the mark. His success rate on transfers far exceeds the mispurchase of MacGuire, who was what? £600k? Sammon, though much maligned, performed a role for us and even scored some key goals which contributed to our third place finish. Who else could you have guaranteed would have been a better purchase than the £1.2m we spent on Sammon at the time. At that kind of money you're always struggling to pick winners. The fact that he got so many players right, that are still involved in a promotion challenging side make your point look a tad off the mark.

Look at the current outlay on our squad and our league position and I'd say I'd trust Clough with a transfer budget more than any manager who's succeeded him, McClaren aside probably.

As for sacking Nigel being one of the best decisions this century... pretty spectacular statement without much foundation. Where were we when he got sacked and where are we now? Contrast that to where we were when he took over and where we were when he got sacked and i think only an absolute fool would say he didn't leave us in a significantly better state than when he found us. We'll never really know if he'd have taken us to the next level but we weren't going backwards.

There's no doubt that McClaren brought a new life to the side but 4 years later we're still exactly where we were when Clough was sacked, with a more disjointed squad and a FFP rating unlikely to be going down well with the powers that be. So if you're going to criticise Clough for a lack of progress then you have to level the same criticism at everyone who's been involved since.

People talk about a lack of ambition. For me, Nigel's ambition was far grander than spunking a few million on players, not that he had that anyway. It ran deeper and bigger than 'going for promotion'. It was slow and steady but in my opinion it was the original form of the Derby Way, much as defining it in a strap line makes me cringe. He may not have excited people day to day but i think his long term vision was very exciting. For me, a lot of fans misunderstand ambition for spending but I always thought this was near sighted. With all our ambition in the last few seasons we're no further towards to promised land and I think our status as a proper football club has taken a backward step.

That's not to say Nigel was without fault. He's stubborn, conservative and fiercely loyal to those around him. Those characteristics often helped him but I think they also got in the way of progress and taking things to that next level. He doesn't have an inspiring personality in front of camera but I never doubted his ability to motivate the players. I'd take that any day over someone PR savvy.

All in all, he was and remains someone who divides opinion. I liked him, I feel like I could get on board with what he was trying to achieve and admire the way he went about it for the most part. He'd get a rousing round of applause from me if I wasn't such a filthy half fan.

52 minutes ago, Ramshankered said:

I think accusing someone of being a stalker is *a little* harsher than accusing someone of being bitter (which frankly, reading through the thread and your defensive tone is exactly what you sound like).

Tell you what, when you have built your Nigel statue along side his dads outside the stadium I'll not go to the unveiling. That's it, I'm done. I don't do nit picky arguing, I thought it was a forum to express your views. 

9 minutes ago, RodleyRam said:

That's not to say Nigel was without fault. He's stubborn, conservative and fiercely loyal to those around him. Those characteristics often helped him but I think they also got in the way of progress and taking things to that next level. He doesn't have an inspiring personality in front of camera but I never doubted his ability to motivate the players. I'd take that any day over someone PR savvy.

You speak about Clough in the present tense as though he's still at the club, wishful thinking maybe 

Deserves the warmest of welcomes. After the Davies & Jewell debacles he got us steadied and on an upward trajectory and did so without anything like the financial backing we've seen since he left. 

In fact, forget the warm welcome - a standing ovation wouldn't go amiss tbh.

5 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Same question to you, turncoat. :p

While he was here A LOT of my time and cash went on following the side.

Now he's gone A LOT of my time and cash is spent on following his side.

I haven't turned at all, you lot forced me into it ;-)

(banter aside, of course you make a valid point!!)

39 minutes ago, RodleyRam said:

As for sacking Nigel being one of the best decisions this century... pretty spectacular statement without much foundation. Where were we when he got sacked and where are we now? backward step.

But with the aspirations of being in the Premiership.

We was never even considering getting out this division under Nigel Clough. The stadium was approximately 65% full, even die hard fans were reluctant to attend games. The football was bland, the club has a whole had become pretty scale and needed a change of direction. Sam Rush got a ton of abuse for the decision, but it simply had to happen.

He brought in some good players don't get me wrong; Keogh, Brayford, Forsyth, Bryson, Russell and of course Chris Martin - but he didn't get the best out of a single one of them. Mac made a few tweaks here and there; Bryson and Martin looked different players altogether. 

I'd rather be here in 2017 with the slight hope of of being in the top six, than back in 2013 with a squad of Saul Deeney, Nathan Tyson and Conor Doyle.

Archived