Nigel, tonight.

Warren Hobhead

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andy Garner after the match......:

"Nigel is in the dressing room, it's quite an emotional day for the gaffer. We had four magnificent years here, love the club and the fans so it's very emotional coming back for the first time"

Nice one Andy. Some people gave out unwarranted stick to Clough and Garner yet they have acted with nothing but respect for DCFC since they left.

Only Nigel's personal issue with Sam Rush has soured what was an often stressful yet ultimately necessary rebuilding job with Clough leaving Derby in a superb financial state for Mel Morris to take over.

1 minute ago, uttoxram75 said:

"Nigel is in the dressing room, it's quite an emotional day for the gaffer. We had four magnificent years here, love the club and the fans so it's very emotional coming back for the first time"

Nice one Andy. Some people gave out unwarranted stick to Clough and Garner yet they have acted with nothing but respect for DCFC since they left.

Only Nigel's personal issue with Sam Rush has soured what was an often stressful yet ultimately necessary rebuilding job with Clough leaving Derby in a superb financial state for Mel Morris to take over.

The voice of reason - it will never catch on?

Just signed in from Mexico expecting to see us with the 3 points.

Going to the bar now. Let's see what next season brings.....

3 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

People are also quick to forget that the 4321 formation was Clough's tactics and way of playing. While Mclaren did improve on it, Clough very much set the foundations for it and to be honest have we improved since he left us? We are still in the same position...

7 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

People are also quick to forget that the 4321 formation was Clough's tactics and way of playing. While Mclaren did improve on it, Clough very much set the foundations for it and to be honest have we improved since he left us? We are still in the same position...

Yeah, if you ignore the fact we made the play off-final (would have made the autos if it wasn't for his poor start), then narrowly missed out on the play-off's in a year plagued with injuries and made the play-off's again, it's basically been the exact same stuff Nigel served up with his highest finish of 10th.

Also, he reckoned we couldn't play 4-3-3 and was much happier going with a 4-4-2, we never played more than a couple of games in 4-3-3 under him.

Love Nigel for what he did for the club off the pitch, but he really didn't offer us much on the pitch outside of wins against Forest and Leeds.

36 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Yeah, if you ignore the fact we made the play off-final (would have made the autos if it wasn't for his poor start), then narrowly missed out on the play-off's in a year plagued with injuries and made the play-off's again, it's basically been the exact same stuff Nigel served up with his highest finish of 10th.

Also, he reckoned we couldn't play 4-3-3 and was much happier going with a 4-4-2, we never played more than a couple of games in 4-3-3 under him.

Love Nigel for what he did for the club off the pitch, but he really didn't offer us much on the pitch outside of wins against Forest and Leeds.

I'm only saying he laid the foundations to that season. Didn't Clough have Martin as a lone striker with Bryson and two direct wingers playing off him? Didn't Clough have Eustace in a holding position? 

Clough put Hulse, Kuqi, Moore, Davies and Sammon all in lone striker roles in his tenure, that was the system we worked towards. 

Considering we are all but out of a play off place and it's our third season in trying since he left, do you think we are streets ahead of where we were?

27 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I'm only saying he laid the foundations to that season. Didn't Clough have Martin as a lone striker with Bryson and two direct wingers playing off him? Didn't Clough have Eustace in a holding position? 

Clough put Hulse, Kuqi, Moore, Davies and Sammon all in lone striker roles in his tenure, that was the system we worked towards.

Considering we are all but out of a play off place and it's our third season in trying since he left, do you think we are streets ahead of where we were?

No. A part of Clough's downfall was because he didn't play Eustace which resulted in us being hit on the break repeatedly and electing for a diamond with Ward at the tip because 'we didn't have the players for a 433'.

Hulse, Kuqi and Moore had Commons or Bueno playing just behind them. Davies and Sammon were partnered with Theo, Tyson or Ward.

I feel as though we've most of his good work but are still in a better position than when he first joined. A good summer will sort us out, the academy's good and the wages are seemingly acceptable to Mel. We've gone backwards though, no doubt.

9 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

Fantasy land?

I got a bit tired of listing the fixtures NC was in charge before he was fired against the same fixtures under Mac that season

Same points and one more goal scored from the reverse fixtures under McClaren.

It's hardly a 'like for like' comparison but non-league Nige didn't just get the sack just for the fixtures in the season he was sacked but for what had gone before - we still carry the scars from his awful football and playing players out of position.

6 minutes ago, DRBee said:

It's hardly a 'like for like' comparison but non-league Nige didn't just get the sack just for the fixtures in the season he was sacked but for what had gone before - we still carry the scars from his awful football and playing players out of position.

Whaaaaaaaaaa?

15 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

You know what, those points are fair enough, I think he had the foundations of what McClaren did but I still think that 4-3-3 system is much more McClaren's brain child than Clough's. To put it into a metaphor, I'd say Clough had the idea for a film that he'd written a bit about on in notes on his iPhone, while McClaren took the notes, wrote the script, made the bloody thing and sold it to Warner Brothers.

I think we were very unlucky to not go up in McClaren's first tenure and I do think we're at least a couple of streets ahead. The club in its entirety has evolved, in some ways for the worse but largely for the better. There's ten times more enthusiasm for the club than there ever was in the Nigel days, which goes both ways unfortunately, but I think this is true from the fans to the owner. 

I think there's a hell of a lot of rose tinted spectacles when it comes to Nigel's time here, people misremember the 'we've spent no money compared to this team that just played us off the park' propaganda and the 'good, honest professionals' we had playing for us.

One of Nigel's greatest strengths is that he values character and will always have hard working pro's playing for him, but it's also his greatest limitation. I think he'd never have signed Tom Ince because of his reputation, his dad and depiction as a luxury player, even though Ince is a bright lad and has his head screwed on tight. I think he's to stubborn to ever find the balance between talent and attitude in his squads.

Just my thoughts on that issue, can understand why you give Clough credit.

Look tonight was a night to forget. Let's move on to next season. Again we have to say that!

Clough is right. He said that when he was sacked we were 14th in the championship and 3 years later having spent 150 millions pounds we are 11th in the championship. 

Maybe if we gave him a fraction of that 150 million Clough would have got us in the top 2 in the championship. I'm pretty sure he would have. 

All I think clough needed was about 5 to 10 million. Not 150 million. With his record of finding players we'd be up in the premiership now. His scouts must be amazing. Think about the players he found us. Buxton on a free! Brayford we made a handy profit on. And I'm not even going into the Martins, Brysons, will Hughes , Hendricks, keoghs, grants, barkers and many more that I haven't mentioned. 

Tonight we we were embarrassed by ******* burton Albion. Non league club. There fans out sang us totally. 

They chanted 

without nigel clough then you'd be bust! 

They were right. 

Derby have turned into a soulless laughing stock because of the overpaided frauds mac and rush have signed. 

We we need a fresh start next season

Anyway onwards and upwards. 

We'll always be the biggest club in the East Midlands 

3 hours ago, Mick Brolly said:

Yes I agree but I just find it a bit disrespectful when other mangers do interviews and all they can talk about is how much money we've spent instead of talking about their teams performance

Stop being so sensitive about other managers and face the truth. 

1 hour ago, CLOUGH1971-72 said:

Look tonight was a night to forget. Let's move on to next season. Again we have to say that!

Clough is right. He said that when he was sacked we were 14th in the championship and 3 years later having spent 150 millions pounds we are 11th in the championship. 

Maybe if we gave him a fraction of that 150 million Clough would have got us in the top 2 in the championship. I'm pretty sure he would have. 

All I think clough needed was about 5 to 10 million. Not 150 million. With his record of finding players we'd be up in the premiership now. His scouts must be amazing. Think about the players he found us. Buxton on a free! Brayford we made a handy profit on. And I'm not even going into the Martins, Brysons, will Hughes , Hendricks, keoghs, grants, barkers and many more that I haven't mentioned. 

Tonight we we were embarrassed by ******* burton Albion. Non league club. There fans out sang us totally. 

They chanted 

They were right. 

Derby have turned into a soulless laughing stock because of the overpaided frauds mac and rush have signed. 

We're 11th but the season hasn't finished. We never won more games than we lost in a season under Clough. 

I could say if we'd given Jewell one more season he'd have us in the top 4... exactly.

Derby aren't a laughing stock. They're midtable (they were near the bottom). Derby fans are a laughing stock because it's grown men who can't control their emotions and start kicking and screaming every 2 minutes. Derby fans are self entitled, deluded and arrogant fans that think attending a match gives them some sort of platform to look down on everyone.

Mac's signings? Who are these then? These frauds. Are they less fraudulent than Connor Sammon and Conor Doyle? Less frauds than Nathan Tyson and Ben Davies? 

Derby need a fresh start? From what? The play off final side that was totally different  (apart from Clough's players) to now?

Or a fresh manager like Clement or Pearson? Or a fresh owner? 

In the time since Nigel Clough left we have had a different team, different owners and different managers. Maybe show some respect to the league? 

I like Nigel Clough. He didn't spend money and he had to build a proper squad. He did that. 

But where there were 700 people we now take 2,000. Why? Because we actually win away games

Have you forgotten the drubbings at home? The hopeless away games? The shocking cup exits? 

I'm not saying Nigel was bad. I'm saying be fair. 

Whats all this £150m nonsense?

i'd say nigel left us in a better state than many seem able to admit.

however its hard to ever explain £1m for connor sammon. 

things improved initially under schteve, but he seems to be achieving very little right now.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Whats all this £150m nonsense?

i'd say nigel left us in a better state than many seem able to admit.

however its hard to ever explain £1m for connor sammon. 

things improved initially under schteve, but he seems to be achieving very little right now.

Agree that it's all gone flat again.

But people are quick to throw the toys in the bin without a thought of what they're going to play with then.

A couple of names that used to get mentioned as proven "would get this team promoted" managers are Pearson and Bruce. 

What we should do is give someone time and trust to build his team. Keep changing managers has left us with a mix of their teams. 

4 hours ago, CLOUGH1971-72 said:

They chanted 

They were right. 

Nigel the business man and lawyer clearly negotiating players contracts and termination clause and associates packages.... I think not.... some people should wake up

Fair play to Nigel Clough. At the start of the season most people would have thought that Burton would be rock bottom in a similar sort of position as Rotherham, but as of last night they find themselves 5 points above relegation. Based on the size of the club and budget spent I've got to say that's quite amazing. 

I'm not a big fan of his tactics last night (10 men behind the ball and no intention of looking for a win), but if that point keeps them up then I suppose it will be worth it for him. In my eyes he's got to be up there for manager of the season if he keeps Burton up.

From what I do remember Nigel was given instructions to get rid of most of the high paid players when he started here. He got some freebies for a replacement. He did quite well in the early days of his reign with the squad he had.

I think he has done quite well with Burton too. He ain't the best manager in the world but who is? Nobody in charge of Derby County or Burton Albion surely. I can't understand the negativity against Nigel. He works with peanuts and is still able to get some kind of results.

40 minutes ago, toddy said:

Hats off to Cloughie  he came with a game plan and it worked.

If they survive the drop he will have been successful this season.

What is Mac's measure of success this season, playoffs or mid table?

Well considering what he started with then i'd say top 10 should make most people happy.

But it won't. Because just like last time he's a victim of his own success. 

There's people here on this forum saying "Mac is a failure/Pearson needed more time"

I'm not sure if that's a joke or the one of the most ironic things ever said. 

I'd rather try and patch a roof with holes in than have no roof at all. I imagine they'd say "never try, never fail"

Archived