Didn't want McClaren back and still don't want him

Curtains

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I keep reading this - what were the money stats from Newcastle then? Lets see the facts and then we can judge!

80 Million 

He was fortunate to get the job and it proved comprehensively beyond his capabilities, despite an £80m expenditure since the summer, resulting in just six wins and a place in the relegation zone.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35736581

1 minute ago, rynny said:

This is probably the most important part of the whole piece.

No this is also selective 

He was fortunate to get the job and it proved comprehensively beyond his capabilities, despite an £80m expenditure since the summer, resulting in just six wins and a place in the relegation zone.

7 minutes ago, curtains said:

Are you serious?

First off, McClaren took over arguably the worst team in the league. Did you see Newcastle's form at the back-end of the 2014/5 season? It was terrible.

As for his signings... Wijnaldum was superb, Shelvey and Townsend were great value-for-money buys, Mitrovic is for the future and at 13m (we spend that on Anya and Vydra) is a solid deal. Saviet at 5m was another potential, Mbemba is 22 and for 8m looks a decent prospect. 

You make out his spending was terrible? Really? Go check out the deals they made prior to his arrival... McClaren's signings were the actual highlights of Newcastle's relegation season. 

14 minutes ago, curtains said:

Well people go on about how he spent £80m on players when in reality was it his decision to buy those players? Was it Mac that decided how much to spend on each player? How much of it was Ashley trying to prove to the fans he was willing to put money in and not actually thinking about who or what they were buying? We all know to well that spending money on a player doesn't mean they will be a success. We know that if they aren't the right fit then it will more than likely end up being unsuccessful, and the team will struggle without the right blend.

19 minutes ago, curtains said:

So I guess the jobs he did at Boro & Twente were flukes then???

DAMN!!!  I bit again, damn your unsurpassed trolling skills...

Just now, rynny said:

Well people go on about how he spent £80m on players when in reality was it his decision to buy those players? Was it Mac that decided how much to spend on each player? How much of it was Ashley trying to prove to the fans he was willing to put money in and not actually thinking about who or what they were buying? We all know to well that spending money on a player doesn't mean they will be a success. We know that if they aren't the right fit then it will more than likely end up being unsuccessful, and the team will struggle without the right blend.

One thousand times this! Mac might have stated an interest in those players but ultimately he didn't say how much to pay, it's not his money. 

10 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Are you serious?

First off, McClaren took over arguably the worst team in the league. Did you see Newcastle's form at the back-end of the 2014/5 season? It was terrible.

As for his signings... Wijnaldum was superb, Shelvey and Townsend were great value-for-money buys, Mitrovic is for the future and at 13m (we spend that on Anya and Vydra) is a solid deal. Saviet at 5m was another potential, Mbemba is 22 and for 8m looks a decent prospect. 

You make out his spending was terrible? Really? Go check out the deals they made prior to his arrival... McClaren's signings were the actual highlights of Newcastle's relegation season. 

This is what I meant - how much were some of them sold on for?!

The only bit in @curtainslink that gives any detail besides total is this quote "McClaren spent about £80m on players during his time at St James' Park, including £30m on midfielders Jonjo Shelvey, Andros Townsend and Henri Saivet in January."

But Mac did (or didn't) have final say and they were all terrible and his fault?

From Mel Morris' perspective this must all be incredibly frustrating. We have a top class stadium, top class training facility, incredibly loyal fan base (31,000 last night) and a very good commercial operation. Off the field I don't think he can do much more we are all geared up to go we are premier league.  

On the pitch we just don't seem able to get it right. He has brought people into the club who's sole responsibility is to select the right players to bring into the club and others to coach & select the right team to tear up this league. Responsibility of course always stops at the top but I imagine he must be extremely angry that he has entrusted so much money to people who seem to have so far, got it, not wrong, but not really good enough. I realise he or his senior team appointed these people but nevertheless it must hurt.

This season seems in all likelihood, barring a remarkable run, over. Looking forward therefore it's going to be VERY interesting to see what squad we start with next season with. Big big job on his hands has our Stevie Mac this coming summer.

2 hours ago, curtains said:

80 Million 

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35736581

I like that you used this twice,  did someone write it for you?  'Comprehensively' is an awfully big word. Great job. 

Is Rafael Benitez a poor manager too then? 

4 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

I like that you used this twice,  did someone write it for you?  'Comprehensively' is an awfully big word. Great job. 

Direct quote from Phil McNulty on the BBC article, I think Curtains just had some issues using the quote function properly :thumbsup:

Archived