Didn't want McClaren back and still don't want him

Curtains

3 hours ago, Purpleram said:

Whatever the merits or otherwise of McClaren, whatever his win stats are it still looks like we will ultimately fail again. Yes we had a rubbish start but the last two results but plenty before that once the run has finished have been pants.

I just don't think he has got what it takes, slightly coloured by how he left us last time, but mainly as I don't see him as a winner, he's always a close but no cigar man, the bridesmaid but not the bride.

Perhaps that's indicative of the quality of the side? 

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, cannable said:

Perhaps that's indicative of the quality of the side? 

Possibly, but it's the cards he's dealt with and we know they can give anyone a game on their day, but when the heats on they invariably/always bottle it.

It's his job to set them up to stop that.

4 minutes ago, Purpleram said:

Possibly, but it's the cards he's dealt with and we know they can give anyone a game on their day, but when the heats on they invariably/always bottle it.

It's his job to set them up to stop that.

It was Pearson's job too. McClaren may fail, who knows, but I'm more confident with him in charge than I was with Pearson. After all he seems to have 'played the cards he was dealt with' OK so far.

13 minutes ago, Purpleram said:

I beg to differ, but hey ho

How though? He completely turned our season around instantly.

Like last time he came he turned us from never winning more than we lost in a season since promotion (we got less points in the promotion season than in 13/14) to a record high finish. 

The real disappointment was that 14/15 season. Top 2 and 3 all that time. But we lost all our DM's, our top scorer and his cover... mistakes were made, too much tinkering. Bad ending. Still higher than before but yeah, the last couple of months were just like an hour and a bit of the last 2 games... not really good enough. 

The rest of his time has been way beyond expectations. Reasonable expectations 

6 minutes ago, Alpha said:

How though? He completely turned our season around instantly.

Like last time he came he turned us from never winning more than we lost in a season since promotion (we got less points in the promotion season than in 13/14) to a record high finish. 

The real disappointment was that 14/15 season. Top 2 and 3 all that time. But we lost all our DM's, our top scorer and his cover... mistakes were made, too much tinkering. Bad ending. Still higher than before but yeah, the last couple of months were just like an hour and a bit of the last 2 games... not really good enough. 

The rest of his time has been way beyond expectations. Reasonable expectations 

18 minutes ago, Purpleram said:

I beg to differ, but hey ho

Just gonna leave this here

17 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

You're not public enemy number one at all.

I have absolutely no problem with your views, more the fact that you don't stick to your views and change your mind more often than I change my pants. 

Added to that you never seem willing to debate your views, you either start saying irrelevant things and go off on a tangent, or say that you are being picked on.

If you hate McClaren fine, don't be making threads saying how great we are though only to return to your original stance every time we lose a match.

You don't change you're pants very often then mate  try these ones  lol 

220px-Boxers_Brief_1.jpg

6th - 11th in 12 days.  

Was he a good manager when we were in 6th?

Is he a bad manager because of a blip over 12 days which has seen us slide 5 places?

Is it his fault all of the other teams around us have won back to back games? 

Should we sack managers after a 12 day blip? Maybe one a month? 

Are problems are due to the number of managers we have had, each one wanting a different style and using the transfer market to do so. When they go it leaves a disjointed squad, good players but not the right players for the current manager.

we need to stick with Steeeve, so that he can use the transfer window to bring in the right players for his system.  We will then get promoted.

i dont think a lot needs to change, but somethings do and for me its the midfield, wide player and striker. We also need a back up right back.

a strong and tough midfield runner

a strong and quick target man who can hold the ball up

a tricky right winger

3 players but they will be expensive, happy with the midfielder and striker to begin with.

2 hours ago, robglosta said:

6th - 11th in 12 days.  

Was he a good manager when we were in 6th?

Is he a bad manager because of a blip over 12 days which has seen us slide 5 places?

Is it his fault all of the other teams around us have won back to back games? 

Should we sack managers after a 12 day blip? Maybe one a month? 

Currently going at a rate of roughly 2 a season since 2015 

I didnt want him back either, but now he is here, and given the shower he has to choose from, I think he's doing an alright job.

What I absolutely dont want is a stupid knee jerk reaction just because the fans want someone to blaime every time we lose a match.

Football isn't an exact science, you cant buy a league or a promotion. Every game has to have a winner and a loser, i hate fans who think we have a define right to anything and then want to fire the manager every couple of months when we lose a few. Too many fans on here seem to come from the Al Fawaz school of football decisions.

On 2/18/2017 at 16:25, jagerbob said:

I didnt want him back either, but now he is here, and given the shower he has to choose from, I think he's doing an alright job.

What I absolutely dont want is a stupid knee jerk reaction just because the fans want someone to blaime every time we lose a match.

Football isn't an exact science, you cant buy a league or a promotion. Every game has to have a winner and a loser, i hate fans who think we have a define right to anything and then want to fire the manager every couple of months when we lose a few. Too many fans on here seem to come from the Al Fawaz school of football decisions.

Just out of interest, where does Mel Morris sit in that argument? in less than 2 years, McClaren, Clement, Wassall, Pearson, McClaren. 

38 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Just out of interest, where does Mel Morris sit in that argument? in less than 2 years, McClaren, Clement, Wassall, Pearson, McClaren. 

I've posted this elsewhere, but:

Mac 1 : Sacked, performances and Newcastle shenanigans

Clement: Sacked, performances were stated but potential shenanigans

Wassall: Wasn't Sacked

Pearson : Resigned pending investigation into shenanigans

Depending your opinion on the Clement sacking (I think shenanigans, obviously by my post), MM has only sacked Mac once for performance based reasons. 

2 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

I've posted this elsewhere, but:

Mac 1 : Sacked, performances and Newcastle shenanigans

Clement: Sacked, performances were stated but potential shenanigans

Wassall: Wasn't Sacked

Pearson : Resigned pending investigation into shenanigans

Depending your opinion on the Clement sacking (I think shenanigans, obviously by my post), MM has only sacked Mac once for performance based reasons. 

Still think it was a shame Wassall wasn't given the job last summer in some respects. 

Archived