Didn't want McClaren back and still don't want him

Curtains

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McClaren has highlighted a lack of quality in the final third against Burton. 

"We didn't have that quality. If we had been playing for the next two days, we still wouldn't have scored."

And what message does that give out to the players SM?.......Faith, belief, confidence etc? How does that make them feel? going into the next game. If NC was to get lambasted by so many on here for having a go at players for giving the ball away so cheaply, and such players turning potential positive results into negative ones, what makes SM any different when he's doing it to the full team?

If we were still playing Q.P.R at Wembley in the Play Off Final, we still wouldn't have scored either and that's when we had more quality, but not enough quality from the sidelines to make the necessary game plan or necessary changes throughout the game to push us on to win the game when it really mattered.

We can stay as loyal as you like and back SM season after season, for as many seasons as we like, but those that are not seeing it or believing that he will get us promoted with his players or anybody else's players are now in a similar position to those that thought exactly the same of NC, that he wasn't going to get us promoted either etc.

As for Clement or Pearson they didn't get the time. But look how much time Alex Ferguson got at Man Utd and how close he was to the sack before things realy took off, so what did SM learn under Alex Ferguson and when it gets tough how is he reacting? how will he react and when will our players at our football club start really reacting and giving what all of us really want, a winning, successful club.........and to be fair, none of us on this forum, know the right answer!

23 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

We can stay as loyal as you like and back SM season after season, for as many seasons as we like, but those that are not seeing it or believing that he will get us promoted with his players or anybody else's players are now in a similar position to those that thought exactly the same of NC, that he wasn't going to get us promoted either etc.

He had some what longer before the doomsayers started.

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He had some what longer before the doomsayers started.

He did, and that's time, and SM has had plenty of time at Derby County football club as player, assistant and as coach etc and as the game of football moves on, fans as a whole are becoming less and less impatient, and that's probably not down to football, that's down to life as so many are in a rush, a rush to knowhere I believe, folk that rush to and from work, cut people up on the roads, get all worked up when folk haven't replied quick enough to texts, e-mails, posts etc, technology gets faster, and I believe these folk expect their football to get faster, slicker, and quicker and football simply isn't going to move at the pace they seem to expect and that goes with the lifespans of managers and coaches too at football clubs etc.

These are probably the same folk that feel the need to cram everything into their football day but still arrive 10 minutes late into their seats and are far too quick to judge, and are probably the same folk that leave games at half time thinking the game is all over or games 10 minutes early to beat the traffic etc and let's be honest the only folk they are beating are themselves.

7 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Are you serious?

First off, McClaren took over arguably the worst team in the league. Did you see Newcastle's form at the back-end of the 2014/5 season? It was terrible.

As for his signings... Wijnaldum was superb, Shelvey and Townsend were great value-for-money buys, Mitrovic is for the future and at 13m (we spend that on Anya and Vydra) is a solid deal. Saviet at 5m was another potential, Mbemba is 22 and for 8m looks a decent prospect. 

You make out his spending was terrible? Really? Go check out the deals they made prior to his arrival... McClaren's signings were the actual highlights of Newcastle's relegation season. 

I've just shown this post to my mate here who's a Newcastle diehard and he laughed himself silly.

He said - and he knows more than you and I - that Wijnaldum was atrocious for Newcastle, Shelvey very hit and miss and Mitrovic out of his depth in the Premier League. As for Saivet, he got shipped out on loan having played only 4 games for Newcastle in and said it was crap there. Mbemba did ok but can't get in the Championship team and Newcastle tried to ship him out on loan in Jan. Townsend did do well.

So sadly @Bris Vegas you appear to be way, way off the mark. 

5 hours ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

I didn't want McClaren when he arrived but I want him now. He just fits. A small blip doesn't change my view on that. 

I wasn't bothered when he arrived (surprised, admittedly) and I'm not bothered now. He's done nothing to make me think he'll be a success, but nothing to make me want him sacked. My finger points at above him and below him, which is why my season ticket renewal packs have sat unopened and untouched since they arrived.

20 hours ago, Derbyram1983 said:

He's saved us from relegation this season. But I'd get someone new in in the summer. Bit of a change in players. And new ideas. How we haven't got one good striker out of all the money we have shelled out is unbelievable. 

Another managerial change. Really??

16 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

I've just shown this post to my mate here who's a Newcastle diehard and he laughed himself silly.

He said - and he knows more than you and I - that Wijnaldum was atrocious for Newcastle, Shelvey very hit and miss and Mitrovic out of his depth in the Premier League. As for Saivet, he got shipped out on loan having played only 4 games for Newcastle in and said it was crap there. Mbemba did ok but can't get in the Championship team and Newcastle tried to ship him out on loan in Jan. Townsend did do well.

So sadly @Bris Vegas you appear to be way, way off the mark. 

Your friend isn't a very good Newcastle fan then is he? Wijnaldum was their best player, and was among the leading goal scoring misfielders in the league. Atrocious? Yeah he was that bad Liverpool then shelled out nearly 30m for him last summer.

Shelvey may have been hit and miss. But hes their best player now, and considering how young he is, and the current market, they got him at a decent price.

Townsend almost kept them up, amd had it not been for a stupid clause, they would have made a solid profit on him. 

Mitrovic and Mbemba are still young, and given their attributes still have plenty to offer. If Mitrovic was out of his depth, you could argue the same for most of the signings prior to McClaren going there.

Saivet and Thauvin were gambles, though considering they came from France, Im not sure they were even McClaren signings.

Going back, I dont know what your friend found so funny. Newcastle made terrible signings prior to McClaren going there and his signings were their best players last season.

7 minutes ago, curtains said:

Might take you a little longer. 

Maybe, I just think any criticism should start with the players, the 11 on the pitch that continue to make mistakes.

When I start to feel like he's not bringing in the right players, making the wrong team selections, tactics I will start looking towards the dugout when he comes down.

Manager is always an easy target. Look back at the goals we conceded and ask yourself could McClaren have stopped that, if so how.

8 minutes ago, David said:

Maybe, I just think any criticism should start with the players, the 11 on the pitch that continue to make mistakes.

When I start to feel like he's not bringing in the right players, making the wrong team selections, tactics I will start looking towards the dugout when he comes down.

Manager is always an easy target. Look back at the goals we conceded and ask yourself could McClaren have stopped that, if so how.

Mate I'm not opening this debate again sorry .

Mac is at Derby for the foreseeable future as Mel and Sam have decided that .

i can't add anymore other than to watch what develops. 

Archived