Didn't want McClaren back and still don't want him

Curtains

52 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Have to agree to some extent. You just have to see what happened at Newcastle to see what happens when you give McClaren a lot of money to play around with(60 million there)

Come on then what happened - didn't they sell on some of his players and make good money?

Edit: plus - £12m for Vydra and Anya gives him some way to go before looking bad here!

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Still think it was a shame Wassall wasn't given the job last summer in some respects. 

He got so much grief it was unbelievable...Personally,I appreciate he was inexperienced but he got it together pretty quickly and got the team,pretty much playing as a Mac team anyway.

If he had been allowed to carry on into this season we wouldn't have had the Pearson dip and would probably have been in the top six by now.....After all Martin would still be here for one thing and we wouldn't have bought the likes of Anya and vydra.

Don't get me wrong,I prefer to have Mac as our manager but wassell was given a lot of unfair stick because of the entitlement factor of our fans again who insisted on a big name to take us forward.

Same results multiple managers...there has to come a point when people start realising that the problem lies in our god-awful recruitment team, and not the management. We know how good McClaren can be, we've seen it over both tenures. But if we keep wasting money on poor players, and missing out on the better ones, we are going to fall behind teams like Sheffield Wednesday and Huddersfield more often. 

4 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

He got so much grief it was unbelievable...Personally,I appreciate he was inexperienced but he got it together pretty quickly and got the team,pretty much playing as a Mac team anyway.

If he had been allowed to carry on into this season we wouldn't have had the Pearson dip and would probably have been in the top six by now.....After all Martin would still be here for one thing and we wouldn't have bought the likes of Anya and vydra.

Don't get me wrong,I prefer to have Mac as our manager but wassell was given a lot of unfair stick because of the entitlement factor of our fans again who insisted on a big name to take us forward.

It's like a lot of our players getting unnecessary stick . Last night de sart played 4 stunning passes on the trot the 5th went a stray and everyone's moaning and groaning. If will or JR had of done the same thing no one would have said a word . 

Same goes for managers ,we did OK under DW. But hey ho such is life.

8 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Still think it was a shame Wassall wasn't given the job last summer in some respects. 

Ohh, but the forum clamour for appointing Nigel Pearson, to bring his Leicester glow upon us, to be our tough guy, to be the steel........But yes, I don't think Wassall hurt his bid to become a 1st team manager, if he bides his time I think he could bag himself a good job (the club on the up who've had their manager pinched type rather than the vacancy available because everything s terrible type of job)

Wassall did OK after all, I think the 'arry mentoring of him did help but given the hostility his appointment had and was likely to have had if it had been made permanent, he'd have had to be ahead of Newcastle before some fans would give him a fair assessment.

1 hour ago, mrdave85 said:

I've posted this elsewhere, but:

Mac 1 : Sacked, performances and Newcastle shenanigans

Clement: Sacked, performances were stated but potential shenanigans

Wassall: Wasn't Sacked

Pearson : Resigned pending investigation into shenanigans

Depending your opinion on the Clement sacking (I think shenanigans, obviously by my post), MM has only sacked Mac once for performance based reasons. 

Why they left their posts is not really relevant, the point is the poster was criticising other clubs for getting through managers and the destabilising impact is has on the club, I was posing the question where Mel Morris sits in his view as he/the club could be perceived of doing exactly the same thing. 

7 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Why they left their posts is not really relevant, the point is the poster was criticising other clubs for getting through managers and the destabilising impact is has on the club, I was posing the question where Mel Morris sits in his view as he/the club could be perceived of doing exactly the same thing. 

It can be perceived that way, I believe there was a comparison drawn between Mel Morris and Cellino a while back about manager merry-go-round. I was just trying to add some context to that figure.

We'll never know the full goings on behind closed doors, I was attempting to show that in a few instances Mel might not have had much choice but to sack them (I'm looking primarily at Clement & Pearson). I agree that changing managers too often destabilises the club, and I think that has clearly affected Derby. 

There was a time when we had a plan - mcclaren wasn't the manager he was the coach, and we had a young 'quality player only' recruitment plan. Then we got off track threw away the plan and ying yanged managers in and out giving each license to buy players they liked regardless of age etc >>> cue bloated squad of money grabbing egos with little passion.

Mcclaren is a feeble attempt to resurrect the qualified success of the past. Of course he would do better than Pearson but that boiled down almost exclusively to one player - Tom Ince. 

Stop comparing one donkey manager to another donkey manager. We need someone who can actually manage the team without having to buy ANY players before we ship out all the junk. 

Let him have at it until the end of the season. He will fail and make excuses like he has always done and we can get someone quality in.

13 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I can just sense @Ninos trembling with anticipation at having Martin back with McClaren next season.

Perhaps a alternative derby could be created by such fans...New derby or perhaps more appropriately old derby.

The team could consist almost entirely of players that weren't given a chance,possibly 11 vydras should medical cloning technology advance that far.

Management of the team would be a clough/Pearson hybrid playing 442 only and giving the players a good hiding with a Lucille type instrument after every game to ensure that they had that "steel" we clearly lack 

The club would of course only purchase 18 year old prospects to ensure they had the legs to play 120 minutes a game but would cost £5 each after being purchased from non league teams exclusively.

They would also need to have played for Barcelona as well though.

Of course we will be playing in the champions league within two years as that is our right and entitlement.

7 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Perhaps a alternative derby could be created by such fans...New derby or perhaps more appropriately old derby.

The team could consist almost entirely of players that weren't given a chance,possibly 11 vydras should medical cloning technology advance that far.

Management of the team would be a clough/Pearson hybrid playing 442 only and giving the players a good hiding with a Lucille type instrument after every game to ensure that they had that "steel" we clearly lack 

The club would of course only purchase 18 year old prospects to ensure they had the legs to play 120 minutes a game but would cost £5 each after being purchased from non league teams exclusively.

They would also need to have played for Barcelona as well though.

Of course we will be playing in the champions league within two years as that is our right and entitlement.

A bit over the top, we could field a team without medical cloning and Pearson is available still.

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

I like McClaren but the more time goes on, the more it looks like he took advantage of a good thing with Cloughs team spirit. However, when McClaren  and is teams are asked a few questions, he tends to fail to come up with the answers, almost Alan Pardew esc

Thing is we haven't really seen a Mac team. The 'not quite up to it when asked questions' was one of reasons Cloughs team were going nowhere. We'll have to wait and see if that 'mindset' has changed when we see Mac's choice of team rather than others leftovers.

Just now, McLovin said:

I like McClaren but the more time goes on, the more it looks like he took advantage of a good thing with Cloughs team spirit. However, when McClaren  and is teams are asked a few questions, he tends to fail to come up with the answers, almost Alan Pardew esc

There was a poster on another thread who was close to mclaren at the match last night and was reporting that a lot of macs instructions were not being implemented by the players.

To me, this is the first criteria to focus on if we want to move forward. If the players cannot understand the plan, or do not implement management instructions they cannot have a future in the first team.

Perhaps rather than focus on age it should be intelligence and adaptability. 

We can't tell if mac has got the right answers until we can be sure that the players are doing exactly as asked.

22 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Thing is we haven't really seen a Mac team. The 'not quite up to it when asked questions' was one of reasons Cloughs team were going nowhere. We'll have to wait and see if that 'mindset' has changed when we see Mac's choice of team rather than others leftovers.

And after that fails what then. 

1 minute ago, curtains said:

And after that fails what then. 

I imagine we'd look at a replacement manager. It depends how long Mac2 is given though? Would failure be after one season? Two? Three?

For some posters if we're not 30pts clear by December it's a failure, so who knows :ph34r:

Just now, mrdave85 said:

I imagine we'd look at a replacement manager. It depends how long Mac2 is given though? Would failure be after one season? Two? Three?

For some posters if we're not 30pts clear by December it's a failure, so who knows :ph34r:

Would you seriously give McClaren money to spend after what he did at Newcastle. !

Archived