Big Overhaul - New Squad - Who?

mrdave85

I believe it is too early to start making knee jerk decisions yet about anything. We need to first definitely know which division we will be playing. Then decide on what our future tactics and formation.

Some decisions will be in our hands and others will be decided for us by our players and their agents.

Some players who we want to keep may not want to stay, while others we may want to dispense with will not want to leave.

Then there is FFP, budgets and player funding to consider. Can we persuade the players we want to come and at a price were happy and willing to pay.

As in life what we want and what we get are nearly always two different things.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Papahet said:

I have a season ticket! Why would I? I have an opinion, it differs to yours. Whats the problem? I don't rate Keogh, we have too many bang average players to get promotion.

That is, my opinion.

And I disagree with you that he's one of the best in the league

You live in Beccles don't you? 

Just assumed you wouldn't have an ST.

3 hours ago, Papahet said:

Call you out? It's not a wrestling promo.

Because you are using excuses about not being able to see this and that in the highlights. 

Im not even talking about one particular game, since he signed we have remained a Championship club correct? To move forward you sometimes have to take a risk and cash in on certain players. It worked with Fulham with McCormack. It's worked with Huddersfield with Butterfield, Smithies and Coady and dare I say it'll work with Barnsley after Hourihane and Bree got snapped up.

Do you think they've become better sides for it? Hell we could collapse if Keogh was sold and head to league one, doubt it like.

That's the bottom line......

40 minutes ago, cannable said:

You live in Beccles don't you? 

Just assumed you wouldn't have an ST.

Well, lived.

I have missed the odd mid week game partially due to work or having a three year old to entertain - has tempting as it is to take her with me sometimes.

:(

@Papahet

I'll give you credit that you tried to come back with facts but you're clutching at straws a little bit here for me:

Bristol City Away:
Goal One - a Misplaced pass in the middle of the pitch which actually Thorne should have been more alert to and made more space. After that Butterfield decided to tackle an empty space instead of the ball and then Carson let the shot go through him. Carson's error was greater than Keogh's.
Goal Two - Poor header granted but is it a howler, I'm not sure. Its a header which happens 20 times a match in that type of scenario. Just their guy beats Carson at his near post from 25 yards.

Blackburn at Home:
Penalty - OK so he conceded a pen - because none of our other players have conceded a penalty in the past 4 years?
Goal One - He blocks a shot which deflects of him. Sorry - but to call that a howler is poor indeed. I'd be more disappointed if he didn't block the shot at all. You can't blame a deflection.

Rotherham Away:
Goal 3 - you've got to be kidding right? He win's a battle on a ball played him to him which clears the header ten yards whereby another Derby player then loses out. The cross comes into the backpost where Olsson gets well and truly outmuscled by a player who wants it more. You're calling this a howler? Wow - I call this good defending by Keogh to win the initial header!

Reading:
I'll ignore his assist from his cross first
Goal 2 - Poor defending by everyone. I can't comment who was marking this man. Pearce is also stood still marking nobody and agree this defending is not good enough as a team. A howler by Keogh - disagree.

250 games for Derby - and the best howlers you can come up with are theses.

Ollson has done more howlers this year than Keogh has in all his games for Derby. Its just sad and unfortunate that the only real howler I can genuinely think of in his time with Derby was the Play-Off Final. That's the definition of the Howler - the Rotherham away game last year you reference is pure desperation.

Just for a laugh for people - everyone watch this 1.50 in and Papahet has this down as a Keogh Howler.

25 minutes ago, rammieib said:

@Papahet

I'll give you credit that you tried to come back with facts but you're clutching at straws a little bit here for me:

Bristol City Away:
Goal One - a Misplaced pass in the middle of the pitch which actually Thorne should have been more alert to and made more space. After that Butterfield decided to tackle an empty space instead of the ball and then Carson let the shot go through him. Carson's error was greater than Keogh's.
Goal Two - Poor header granted but is it a howler, I'm not sure. Its a header which happens 20 times a match in that type of scenario. Just their guy beats Carson at his near post from 25 yards.

Blackburn at Home:
Penalty - OK so he conceded a pen - because none of our other players have conceded a penalty in the past 4 years?
Goal One - He blocks a shot which deflects of him. Sorry - but to call that a howler is poor indeed. I'd be more disappointed if he didn't block the shot at all. You can't blame a deflection.

Rotherham Away:
Goal 3 - you've got to be kidding right? He win's a battle on a ball played him to him which clears the header ten yards whereby another Derby player then loses out. The cross comes into the backpost where Olsson gets well and truly outmuscled by a player who wants it more. You're calling this a howler? Wow - I call this good defending by Keogh to win the initial header!

Reading:
I'll ignore his assist from his cross first
Goal 2 - Poor defending by everyone. I can't comment who was marking this man. Pearce is also stood still marking nobody and agree this defending is not good enough as a team. A howler by Keogh - disagree.

250 games for Derby - and the best howlers you can come up with are theses.

Ollson has done more howlers this year than Keogh has in all his games for Derby. Its just sad and unfortunate that the only real howler I can genuinely think of in his time with Derby was the Play-Off Final. That's the definition of the Howler - the Rotherham away game last year you reference is pure desperation.

Just for a laugh for people - everyone watch this 1.50 in and Papahet has this down as a Keogh Howler.

Whats a howler anyway? Thought it was another fancy word for a ; mistake, fault, blunder...no?

OK, a ERROR, is that a better word for me to use? Keogh made several errors leading up to a goal, whether that be give the ball away needlessly, failing to mark a man at a set piece or continually backing off on a player.

So he could do no more with the long ball by Lee Camp other than head in straight back to them? Danny Ward wasn't even attempting to head the ball, he was trying to go round the back of Keogh. Look how easy Ward takes Christie and Keogh out with the chested pass- flick, cross too easy

5 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

If we had a squad of world class players, they wouldn't be playing for us. 

Oh and we still have the 3rd best defence in the league.....

The theory of us having the third best defence in the league is pretty naff no offence.

It's like me saying Blackburn have a equal amount of attacking quality due to us both being on 36 goals. Or like saying Forest have better attacking options having scored 10 more than we currently have. We all know that's not true.

Or is it? I am afraid to know the answer 

A strong Advanced Midfielder, just the one. With a full set of skills. Hold the ball, win the ball, pass the ball, run with the ball ....in a forward direction where possible, And a bunch of calm experience.

after that we have enough options in the squad but they need to stand up, get counted and put in consistent performances.

throw in some of the under 23's because we lack a bit of youthful enthusiasm and endeavour. 

Job Done 

34 minutes ago, Papahet said:

The theory of us having the third best defence in the league is pretty naff no offence.

It's like me saying Blackburn have a equal amount of attacking quality due to us both being on 36 goals. Or like saying Forest have better attacking options having scored 10 more than we currently have. We all know that's not true.

Or is it? I am afraid to know the answer 

As a Derby fan, you'd say that and I'd say that, a Blackburn fan would probably argue against that, and on paper they'd be right. So far this season they've scored more, their attacking quality has been better. 

We defend as a team and attack as a team. If we'd attacked as well as we've defended we'd be in a stronger position. 

We need another striking option IMO, I don't think Vydra will come good for us, nor Blackman. Martin (hopefully) being back will be a boost, but will it be difficult to attract someone when Martin is so obviously the 1st choice? 

Derby players as wrestlers?

Thorne is Brock Lesnar - goes away for months on end, doing god knows what, comes back for a couple of matches/shows reminding everyone who's boss and then buggers off again.

Bent is Randy Orton - always pops up outta nowhere to score.

Butterfield is The Undertaker - never smiles and fan opinion is beginning to turn against him.

Johnson is Matt Hardy - resembes him physically, done his best work playing an unconventional role and a little on the large side.

Russell is Dean Ambrose - never the main event, but fans (apart from a notable few) love him all the same. Always willing to put his body on the line for the spectacle.

Mel Morris is Vince McMahon - excentric millionaire who owns the company and will do damn well what he pleases with it as it's his cash. Fan opinion on him changes depending on how well the product is doing.

Bucko is CM Punk - a leader of men, who is now gone, but fans still yearn for his return. Good talker.

Hughes is AJ Styles - great at what he does, makes it look easy and makes everyone else look better just by being with him.

Martin is Steve Austin - Derby will creep into the play-offs, squeeze through to the final. 1-0 down to Leeds who are inexplicably managed by Nigel Pearson in the last five minutes. The glass shatters. "Bah Gawd, it's Chris Martin". Scores two goals and stunners Pearson after the final whistle giving him the middle fingers.

Any other ideas?

3 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Derby players as wrestlers?

Thorne is Brock Lesnar - goes away for months on end, doing god knows what, comes back for a couple of matches/shows reminding everyone who's boss and then buggers off again.

Bent is Randy Orton - always pops up outta nowhere to score.

Butterfield is The Undertaker - never smiles and fan opinion is beginning to turn against him.

Johnson is Matt Hardy - resembes him physically, done his best work playing an unconventional role and a little on the large side.

Russell is Dean Ambrose - never the main event, but fans (apart from a notable few) love him all the same. Always willing to put his body on the line for the spectacle.

Mel Morris is Vince McMahon - excentric millionaire who owns the company and will do damn well what he pleases with it as it's his cash. Fan opinion on him changes depending on how well the product is doing.

Bucko is CM Punk - a leader of men, who is now gone, but fans still yearn for his return. Good talker.

Hughes is AJ Styles - great at what he does, makes it look easy and makes everyone else look better just by being with him.

Martin is Steve Austin - Derby will creep into the play-offs, squeeze through to the final. 1-0 down to Leeds who are inexplicably managed by Nigel Pearson in the last five minutes. The glass shatters. "Bah Gawd, it's Chris Martin". Scores two goals and stunners Pearson after the final whistle giving him the middle fingers.

Any other ideas?

Ince has to be Tye Dillinger - The Perfect #10

Archived