Big Overhaul - New Squad - Who?

mrdave85

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Let's stick with the class of 2014 (Keogh, Bryson, Thorne, Hughes, Martin, Russell)  forever and see where we get, guarantee it won't be to the Premiership.

How many of 'the Class of 2014' will be playing for us next season, out of interest?

with the gap so large to the playoffs, the season in my eyes is over with regards to promotion. However the club should be using the next 15 games to assess the squad and ensure we are ready for next season. I remember jim smith asking the players if they still wanted to be here during his time with the ones that wanted out being quickly shifted on. This should be the first point of call, some players may feel it's time to move on to either have a fresh challenge or better Themselves.  You then know who your fighters are and who really cares about the club. These are the players that you need to make the core of your squad.

in my opinion, the squad definetly needs a freshen up, it's been 4 years now and we are still very much using the same core set of players as when mclaren arrived. 

As fans we often revert back to past times which doesn't help us move on either, we need to be 4-3-3. We need Chris Martin, Bryson needs to be played as he's the midfielder runner. These are all examples of quotes trotted out each week once we lose.

We should be evolving each season whereas after spending millions we are in fact no further on than since the Wembley defeat.

i personally think we need a good clear out over the next year (2 transfer windows), but it needs to be done as a gradual process, with the bench warmers first to go, being replaced by first team regulars of quality. The current first teamers should then become your bench. 

2 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

Conveniently ignoring the great retention and strength before getting the ball away for our first goal, but I don't think two misplaced passes could be classed as "howlers"

He makes a lot of mistakes but his other play makes up for it at times. 

That sums it up really. 

Just now, curtains said:

He makes a lot of mistakes but his other play makes up for it at times. 

That sums it up really. 

No, he doesn't. He makes no more mistakes than any other player, this myth of "always got a mistake in him" has sprung up from the play-off final, which wasn't even down to him! 

Every defender, at every level, makes mistakes. Keogh is one among these. 

Just now, mrdave85 said:

No, he doesn't. He makes no more mistakes than any other player, this myth of "always got a mistake in him" has sprung up from the play-off final, which wasn't even down to him! 

Every defender, at every level, makes mistakes. Keogh is one among these. 

His positional sense is lacking at times.  

You are right the playoff mistake has clouded issues. 

One massive thing In his favour is his attitude of not giving up and his undoubted fitness levels week in week out. 

Time to stop bashing the lad to be honest as it doesn't help. 

His performances on the field will decide if he plays or not. 

I like Keogh , Shackell partnership more the Keogh , Pearce but I might play all 3 with 5 at the back 

That isn't classed as 'howler' LOL.. Keogh is our BEST defender this season no ifs no buts. Yes Pearce did well when he came in the side until last few weeks. 

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

Right .

And results are carp again. 

Shackell sidelined by McClaren 

The only crap results I think we've had have been 0-3 vs Norwich, 3-3 vs Bristol and 3-4 against Cardiff. 3 crap results from McClaren's 20 league games in charge isn't bad. Arguably, coming from 3-0 down at home to draw 3-3 shouldn't really be classed as a crap results either (although I included it as we should never concede 3 goals at home, let alone in the first half).

1 minute ago, Papahet said:

What's he doing for the Reading second? Who's he marking?

I don't know, we can't see the box in that highlight, I couldn't tell you who most were supposed to be marking.

Ignoring the assist though. 2/3 of these games you've shown me we've taken 3 points from. Not bad with Keogh making all these howlers, is it? 

Archived