Big Overhaul - New Squad - Who?

mrdave85

24 minutes ago, SIWY said:

The only crap results I think we've had have been 0-3 vs Norwich, 3-3 vs Bristol and 3-4 against Cardiff. 3 crap results from McClaren's 20 league games in charge isn't bad. Arguably, coming from 3-0 down at home to draw 3-3 shouldn't really be classed as a crap results either (although I included it as we should never concede 3 goals at home, let alone in the first half).

We had a 0-0 at home against Wigan that was a bit poor and it went on from there. 

Hey ho lets move on and hope we beat Burton. 

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LETS GIVE THE LAD A BREAK  

AS HE SAYS HE GIVES EVERYTHING FOR THE CLUB 

IMO HE DOES 

Derby County skipper Richard Keogh hits back at his critics

By cwatson_dt  |  Posted: February 20, 2017

By Steve Nicholson

Derby County skipper Richard Keogh says the criticism that comes his way makes him stronger.

And the Republic of Ireland international suggests his critics give Martin O'Neill, Harry Redknapp and Steve McClaren a call if they want to know what he is like as a player.

The 30-year-old defender has been the subject of criticism in the past - particularly following the 2014 Championship play-off final when his mistake late on played a part in Queens Park Rangers' winning goal.

He continues to be criticised by some and yet no player on the current staff has played more times for Derby (235) and he has twice been named player of the year.

He recently reached a milestone of 500 appearances in a career that has also seen him play for Bristol City, Carlisle United and Coventry City as well as loan spells at Wycombe, Huddersfield Town and Cheltenham.

Derby skipper Richard Keogh

Keogh smiles when he says: "To be honest, it feels like people like talking about me. I don't know why that is. I don't know whether it is because people like to find fault in my game, I don't know.

"It doesn't bother me. The most important thing for me is what football people like Harry Redknapp, Martin O'Neill (Republic of Ireland manager) and the gaffer (Steve McClaren) say.

"When Harry Redknapp came here (as football advisor) the first person he spoke about was myself and how much he admired me.

"Maybe they (the critics) should pick up the phone to these people and ask what I am like."

Harry Redknapp

Asked how he handles the criticism, Keogh said: "Sometimes I quite like it, I quite enjoy it.

"People are always going to have an opinion. What I will say. though, is since I have been here at Derby I have had a brilliant relationship with the fans.

"I am not going to lie, there is always going to be 5% who no matter what I do for the club or how I play, I am not going to be their favourite player.

"That is the way it goes. That happens in football. Look at what Wayne Rooney has done, for instance, and yet people find fault in the way he plays.

"That is the nature of football. You just have to brush it off. You have to have thick skin, and I have certainly got that.

"Some people can be short-sighted at times given what I have done especially over the last six or seven years - player of the year awards, team of the year selections, captained my country twice, played at the European Championship finals - but that's the game. You take the rough with the smooth.

"Here at Derby there has been blood, sweat and tears, the lot, and hopefully there is more to come.

"Each time I pull on the shirt I give everything for this club."

Keogh is now on 501 appearances. Has he set himself a target?

"No, I haven't. I didn't even know about the 500 until it was mentioned to be," he said.

"Like any player, you need a bit of luck with injuries but I am more proud of the fact that I have been so consistent with my performances.

"I am just trying to keep myself available for the games and trying to be the best player I can be.

"If that means I can get a few more appearances, so be it.

"The most important thing for me is to help get this club into the Premier League. That is what I wanted to do when I signed. I have not managed to achieve it yet, but it is something I am striving to do."

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-skipper-richard-keogh-hits-back-at-his-critics/story-30147236-detail/story.html#G16IAzK2cwCdZxK2.99

9 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

I made the thread for the people who suggested we need rid of the entire squad to name me players.

You jumped in bashing Keogh for howlers because you don't rate him. Which is fair enough, but don't go making stuff up because you don't like a player.

I think you also shouted Grant Leadbitter? Which is a good call IMO. 

I suggested Keogh be sold if the right offer came in, what's wrong with that? If someone offered a million i'd keep him of course I would. But I have little confidence with him and Christie in the side.

Just seem's to be posters on the forum that rate him then. I have spoken to a fair amount of supporters on social media, at games and also neutrals and none seem to rate Keogh like you and the others, strange that.

19 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Hmmm hmmmmm though?

Seriously that's the lamest of lame replies and you are actually a mod for material like that? Christ.

Could you point me in the direction of what I can and cannot post and how I am to post?

You will have to ask the boss why he asked me to be a mod, not that it should have anything to do with my opinion and how I post.

Just now, Papahet said:

I suggested Keogh be sold if the right offer came in, what's wrong with that? If someone offered a million i'd keep him of course I would. But I have little confidence with him and Christie in the side.

Just seem's to be posters on the forum that rate him then. I have spoken to a fair amount of supporters on social media, at games and also neutrals and none seem to rate Keogh like you and the others, strange that.

Nothing wrong with that, I'm in the same boat, any player in any squad has a price. 

See I have the opposite, and I'm not lumping you in with this lot, but the only people outside of this forum (fan wise) who I've spoken to on Keogh who say he's useless are the same ones who want the mass squad overhaul and the manager sacking every time we lose a game. 

I'm not saying he's perfect, no defender is, realistically he's the best we've got. If Shackell/Pearce were better they'd have taken his spot in the 11. 

On 18/02/2017 at 20:30, Papahet said:

Keoghs been here since 2012 and we are still a Championship club, it's time to freshen it up. There's better out there believe it or not.

Flint at 6'6 might actually make us a threat from corners, might actually be able to defend them too...

Tammy Abraham is a better prospect; scores for fun in a rather poor side and with the right service here he'd be lethal. We are too one dimensional with Martin in the side week in week out. We can't rely on the bloke forever **** me.

Football manager? booing? Nah didn't go to the recent home games buddy, what on earth does that have to do with anything like? 

Also, pot-kettle much? :lol:

3 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

Nothing wrong with that, I'm in the same boat, any player in any squad has a price. 

See I have the opposite, and I'm not lumping you in with this lot, but the only people outside of this forum (fan wise) who I've spoken to on Keogh who say he's useless are the same ones who want the mass squad overhaul and the manager sacking every time we lose a game. 

I'm not saying he's perfect, no defender is, realistically he's the best we've got. If Shackell/Pearce were better they'd have taken his spot in the 11. 

Well Shackell and Pearce both play on the same side but I take you're point.  

Shackell and Keogh is the best partnership but then you get people saying Shackell moves the ball too slowly with his distribution etc which I think is rubbish incidentally 

Shackell is the best defender but he needs Keogh. 

7 minutes ago, rynny said:

Could you point me in the direction of what I can and cannot post and how I am to post?

You will have to ask the boss why he asked me to be a mod, not that it should have anything to do with my opinion and how I post.

I'd sell Keogh if the right offer came in, what's wrong with that? I have no confidence in any of our defenders, perhaps Shackell but the rest? meh.

What's the problem with that? I've been told I should support friggin Celtic all because I ain't madly in love with Keogh, slightly over the top. 

At what stage do you sell players which aren't getting you anywhere? Bryson, Keogh and Russell have all been good servants, but we need better to get promotion and I personally do not believe a side built around those three will get us very far.

6 minutes ago, Papahet said:

I'd sell Keogh if the right offer came in, what's wrong with that? I have no confidence in any of our defenders, perhaps Shackell but the rest? meh.

What's the problem with that? I've been told I should support friggin Celtic all because I ain't madly in love with Keogh, slightly over the top. 

At what stage do you sell players which aren't getting you anywhere? Bryson, Keogh and Russell have all been good servants, but we need better to get promotion and I personally do not believe a side built around those three will get us very far.

Nothing wrong with that at all. As I have said, I think Keogh is one of the last players we should be looking to replace, in the defence at least. I prefer him to Shackell and Pearce as our first choice, and part of that is how the team is set up to play under Mac.

I don't agree with the Celtic comment, we all support our club, and we all have our own opinions on how the club needs to move forward. Truth is none of us will ever be proven right or wrong compared to another person's opinion.

We do need to look at who is performing and who isn't. And start from the lesser players.

10 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

Nope, never is, so why call me out for not attending some? 

Call you out? It's not a wrestling promo.

Because you are using excuses about not being able to see this and that in the highlights. 

Im not even talking about one particular game, since he signed we have remained a Championship club correct? To move forward you sometimes have to take a risk and cash in on certain players. It worked with Fulham with McCormack. It's worked with Huddersfield with Butterfield, Smithies and Coady and dare I say it'll work with Barnsley after Hourihane and Bree got snapped up.

Do you think they've become better sides for it? Hell we could collapse if Keogh was sold and head to league one, doubt it like.

Just now, Papahet said:

Call you out? It's not a wrestling promo.

Because you are using crappy excuses about not being able to see this and that in the highlights. 

Im not even talking about one particular game, since he signed we have remained a Championship club correct? To move forward you sometimes have to take a risk and cash in on certain players. It worked for Fulham with McCormack. It's worked with Huddersfield with Butterfield, Smithies and Coady and dare I say it'll work with Barnsley after Hourihane and Bree got snapped up.

I already said if he was at fault I'd admit that, I wasn't at that game, but I can't see from the highlight if the player who scored was supposed to be being marked by Keogh. He could have been someone else's who appears next to Hughes(?) at 1:35, I'm not sure and I'm impressed if you are. 

Fulham are still a championship club. Huddersfield are still a championship club, Barnsely are still a championship club. I don't see the point you're making?

We're all entitled to our opinion of individual players - I'm not a big fan of Bent or Johnny Russell but I don't try and bring that into what seems like nearly every post I make.

There's a tiny few members who seem intent on making a career about criticising certain players and you end up asking why? You don't rate someone, fine. Say it once or twice - fine. They seem to forget that at the end of the day they are Derby County players and prefer to constantly vilify rather than leave their concerns about them, move on and get behind the team.

Sad people I reckon when it dominates their contribution to the forum to the point of being virtually their only subject matter.

1 hour ago, mrdave85 said:

I already said if he was at fault I'd admit that, I wasn't at that game, but I can't see from the highlight if the player who scored was supposed to be being marked by Keogh. He could have been someone else's who appears next to Hughes(?) at 1:35, I'm not sure and I'm impressed if you are. 

Fulham are still a championship club. Huddersfield are still a championship club, Barnsely are still a championship club. I don't see the point you're making?

Yeah, all are still Championship clubs but better equipped having sold certain players for decent fees. 

Huddersfield had our pants down with Butterfield, they've brought in the lad Mooy for the season and they haven't looked back since. 

How many people had Fulham for the drop without Ross McCormack? They instead are above us ;)

If someone offered 3 million for Keogh i'd sell in a heartbeat. Get in a someone with a bit of bottle and confidence. We severely lack a big character around the club too. Played a vital role in our promotion under Smith having Stimac and Van Der Laan in the side. None of these are fit to lace their boots and otfen crumble when the going get's tough.

Get the recruitment sorted, Mo Camara? absolute jokers if they are relying on this guy to spot a player. We seemed scared to dip into the foreign market, sure Albentosa hardly set the world alight, but my God there's quality out there for peanuts if you look in the right places.

Pontus Jansson anyone?

4 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Yeah, all are still Championship clubs but better equipped having sold certain players for decent fees. 

Huddersfield had our pants down with Butterfield, they've brought in the lad Mooy for the season and they haven't looked back since. 

How many people had Fulham for the drop without Ross McCormack? They instead are above us ;)

If someone offered 3 million for Keogh i'd sell in a heartbeat. Get in a someone with a bit of bottle and confidence. We severely lack a big character around the club too. Played a vital role in our promotion under Smith having Stimac and Van Der Laan in the side. None of these are fit to lace their boots and otfen crumble when the going get's tough.

Get the recruitment sorted, Mo Camara? absolute jokers if they are relying on this guy to spot a player.

Probably because they've got Martin :ph34r:

Huddersfield recruited heavily last summer, and Butterfield looked outstanding for them when we bought him. I think their success is more to Wagner. 

Any recruitment team that brings in Chris Weale when we have a number of young GK prospects to fill a spot on the bench does need shooting though...

1 hour ago, mrdave85 said:

Probably because they've got Martin :ph34r:

Huddersfield recruited heavily last summer, and Butterfield looked outstanding for them when we bought him. I think their success is more to Wagner. 

Any recruitment team that brings in Chris Weale when we have a number of young GK prospects to fill a spot on the bench does need shooting though...

Any manager more like, because that's exactly what it was - a manager alienating the dressing room and desperately searching for a friend. Incompetence personified that man.

Archived