has bents scoring record recently surprised anyone

kyle mccabe

2 minutes ago, David said:

Because they will want to play, what you end up with is frustrated players which can lead to a unhappy dressing room. Not even possible to bring them in for cup games without a backlash.

Bent has been open with his frustration when not playing....

Villa 2013

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2324533/Darren-Bent-It-hurts-time-Paul-Lambert-does-pick-Aston-Villa.html

Fulham 2014

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/9243276/premier-league-darren-bent-frustrated-at-lack-of-game-time-at-fulham

Derby 2015

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-darren-bent-having-play-game/story-27869465-detail/story.html

This isn't a bad thing, you want players to want to play but we all know Martin will be number 1 next season, you then have a battle with Nugent if Martin is injured or out of form. McClaren doesn't drop players easily, remember how long it took Thorne to get a chance.

Just feel that one experienced back up for the bench is ideal if we're playing with 1 up top and a young player doing the job at U23 level chomping at the bit and ready to step up if needed. I'm sure Mel didn't pump money in the academy just to loan them out to other clubs before eventually releasing them.

And....Nugent,from what I have seen,is closer to Martin in terms of his playing style then bent.....

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How people can criticise the only striker we have thats scoring regularly is beyond me. Strikers are there to score goals,  if there going in..  Job done. No good playing neat tappy football if theres no end result. 

We scored 3 goals in 45 mins after being 3 nil down at home with the crowed on their backs.. The issue isn't bent and his contribution, its the whole team not turning up untill we concede a goal...  Or 3.

We have a weird team,  but i still love it. 

COYR! 

14 minutes ago, David said:

Because they will want to play, what you end up with is frustrated players which can lead to a unhappy dressing room. Not even possible to bring them in for cup games without a backlash.

Not if we're winning and heading up the league. They can figure out the pecking order themselves, if they don't want to stay and fight or be back up they won't. To put up a good attempt at the Top 2 next season we need quality, choice and goals.

6 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

And....Nugent,from what I have seen,is closer to Martin in terms of his playing style then bent.....

True. I'd love to keep him as that poacher option but I don't think you could even afford to carry 2 out and out strikers on the bench, especially when we have strikers that are converted wingers or can play that number 10 role.

Shame as he's had a decent season, be nice to see him leave on a high and not a season of the odd bench cameo appearance with fans moaning at the waste of money he's been. 

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not if we're winning and heading up the league. They can figure out the pecking order themselves, if they don't want to stay and fight or be back up they won't. To put up a good attempt at the Top 2 next season we need quality, choice and goals.

Having Martin and Nugent is choice and quality, you only have 4 months after the summer transfer window till January, and another 4 after January. If we can get that U23 player chomping at the bit and banging them in we would have that as well.

If we went up you're limited to a 25 man squad, look at Chelsea, same formation all they have is Costa, Batshuayi and Solanke, Solanke is also playing for their U23's

I'd offer bent a 1yr contract on much reduced wages. If he wants to stay and get the odd appearance and be part of the squad, its all good, if he wants to retire or go somewhere like MLS/China for some dollars, up to him.

He might even earn himself a year first choice somewhere off the back of this season. But I think this is Bent's last season of being a top player for us.

1 hour ago, toddy said:

Martin and Bent are two different types of striker,  Bent will never play a Martin role.

I know that. What I am saying is that in our system you need a Martin type player to hold the ball up. You don't get that with Bent. The ball comes back too quickly, when the ball is held up front it gets our wingers and midfielders in play and you can play on the front foot more. 

7 hours ago, TobyWanKenobi said:

It does not surprise me that a player who has had over £50,000,000 spent on him in his career is actually quite good.

but reading some of the comments on here from our forum experts he certainly should be able to improve a bit more.  Lets hope he reads this and makes the necessary changes to his game that none of the professional coaches have previously identified.

8 hours ago, ollycutts1982 said:

I know that. What I am saying is that in our system you need a Martin type player to hold the ball up. You don't get that with Bent. The ball comes back too quickly, when the ball is held up front it gets our wingers and midfielders in play and you can play on the front foot more. 

We have he is called Nugent.

As for we had to have to play a striker that call hold the ball up for us to be successful, that is worrying.

1. We don't have the midfield with pace to link up with a hold up striker. Remember we have lost Hendrick, when Hughes is off his game we are as a team, Bryson is hit and miss Thorne is injury prone, Johnson again hit and miss. Boro lad is not our player - we lack a player making midfielder to make the system you talk of working.

2. The moment that the hold up striker is marked by 2 centre backs, nullifies that system. [It did happen quite a lot under Martin]

I would rather have us with a natural finisher whilst our midfield is so lacklustre.

Benty has always been a sniffer around the box, I know he's getting on but he is still getting goals.

Deserves another one year contract...............

36 minutes ago, toddy said:

We have he is called Nugent.

As for we had to have to play a striker that call hold the ball up for us to be successful, that is worrying.

1. We don't have the midfield with pace to link up with a hold up striker. Remember we have lost Hendrick, when Hughes is off his game we are as a team, Bryson is hit and miss Thorne is injury prone, Johnson again hit and miss. Boro lad is not our player - we lack a player making midfielder to make the system you talk of working.

2. The moment that the hold up striker is marked by 2 centre backs, nullifies that system. [It did happen quite a lot under Martin]

I would rather have us with a natural finisher whilst our midfield is so lacklustre.

Benty has always been a sniffer around the box, I know he's getting on but he is still getting goals.

Deserves another one year contract...............

Agreed and he probably does deserve a new contract. I don't think we can say for sure that he will or will not be offered a new contract. Martin and Nugent will definitely be here next year. That leaves Bent, Vydra, Blackman vying as the 3rd striker. I imagine Bent is on a huge wage and, for me unless that was reduced significantly then I would rather those wages be used elsewhere. I can see a massive clear out this summer. Bent thrives on balls in the box but we lack real quality from wide areas. The 2 best crosses I've seen recently have come from Baird. I'd love us to have a quality wide player on the left. Imagine how dangerous we would be with Ince on the right and Knockheart (as an example) on the left. Whoever played upfront would get goals then. It will be an exciting summer. 

1 minute ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Like Knockaert as a player, but he'd be another Ince. They're too similar.

We'd be better balanced with something different than two Inces.

That said, a team of Will Hughes.. :ph34r:

I know what you mean, I was only using Knockheart as an example, just someone who offers an equal threat as Ince but from the left. At times we are too reliant on Ince, Russell has it in his locker but doesn't do it often enough.

Bents scored goals where ever he's been. Doesn't suprise me would like Nugent up more with him though. Was impressed with Nugent always on the move running the channels drawing the players away. Never shyed from the ball either bringing others into play.

4 hours ago, ollycutts1982 said:

I can see a massive clear out this summer.

That's where it's far from straightforward. There is probably something like £20million tied up in Vydra, Butterfield, Blackman & Johnson. Non of these players are indispensable, but realistically how much could we get back on them, if there was any interest at all from other clubs? 

5 hours ago, europia said:

That's where it's far from straightforward. There is probably something like £20million tied up in Vydra, Butterfield, Blackman & Johnson. Non of these players are indispensable, but realistically how much could we get back on them, if there was any interest at all from other clubs? 

Maybe half that. But how much would we get for ince? Whatever we've lost on those players we've probably gained on ince.  

21 hours ago, David said:

Bent has only just turned 33, has another 2/3 seasons in him yet. Pretty sure even if he left Derby in the summer another Championship club would snap him up. 

Never seen/heard any of these "rumours" of him retiring that McLovin has other from him. Calculator 2+2=5 error after he announced this academy.

I personally don't see how you can keep 3 experienced strikers happy with one position up for grabs, ideally you would want a younger player looking to step up as that 3rd choice. With Martin signing a new contract and Nugent recently joining you would look at Bent being the odd one out.

Can also include Vydra and Blackman in this. Few exits this summer I sense.

How many strikers did we have in 2016/17? We had Howard , Barnes, pesch ,lupoli, plus that guy he got towards the end of the season. You need options especially when you can have 7 on the bench. Easily room for two strikers there, if not 3. Nugent wasn't bothered about being a super sub for  boro and looks likely he will have that role for the Rams. 

I think we can easily accommodate nugent martin and bent. I agree that vydra Blackman and weimann are all probably looking surplus to requirements tho. I would also look at the winger positions with russell and camara looking out of sorts. 

2 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

How many strikers did we have in 2016/17? We had Howard , Barnes, pesch ,lupoli, plus that guy he got towards the end of the season. You need options especially when you can have 7 on the bench. Easily room for two strikers there, if not 3. Nugent wasn't bothered about being a super sub for  boro and looks likely he will have that role for the Rams. 

I think we can easily accommodate nugent martin and bent. I agree that vydra Blackman and weimann are all probably looking surplus to requirements tho. I would also look at the winger positions with russell and camara looking out of sorts. 

And there was me thinking we had Bent Vydra and Nugen that season!! ???

Yes.

I thought he was finished after he was shut out at Villa and failed to make an impact when sent on loan. To Brighton for example.

Why would Villa be happy to pay him huge amounts a money but never play him ? Why would no other clubs come in for him ? You would have thought that proven goalscorers would be like gold dust , to Premier teams in difficulty for example. A bit like a Jermaine Defoe.

So yes, I have been very pleasantly surprised. 

He has been exceptional - he does what it says on the tin. And has improved once he has had a run in the team . 

You can't ask more than that. 

Archived