Newcastle United v Derby County match day thread

DEL

5 minutes ago, Highgate said:

It's not going easy to get into the play-offs, a lot of half decent teams competing for those spots. But I fancy us to nick 6th. After our start, we still have to be happy that it's at least a possibility.

Wherever we finish we all have to bear in mind that we started the season two months after everyone else! And for most of the season we have generally looked unbalanced due to the personnel available 

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

No problem with people expressing their opinions, it just seems that those opinions are expressed more often when we lose than win thats all.

A forum is about expressing opinions. Who gives a rats azz when it is.

I don't think we should worry too much about the result. Realistically, we all had it down for a loss and when predicting where the points were/are going to come from, Newcastle away wouldn't have been on anyone's list. 

As for the rest of the month, discounting Leicester, we should be looking to be picking up maximum points. We've got three home games in a row, against teams in the bottom half, two of which are in the bottom five, and two away games against two teams in the bottom half - one in the relegation zone. 

Forget this game, I have, and let's focus on the games we should win because we've got five coming up in a short space of time. 

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 19:33, ossieram said:

They are a big club. Or do you only judge the size of the club by it's trophy cabinet?

Some clubs are big because they are successful, Some small clubs have remained small even after being successful (treetards) and some clubs are just big clubs because of the amount of support they get week in week out even though they haven't won owt.

According to one great manager Newcastle are a WEE club from the north east.

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

Just before the expected deluge of negativity comes pouring in about how we're not good enough etc., we actually have a good account of ourselves in the end. Newcastle have a PL squad and will be there at the end. We don't need to be better than them to go up, yet on another day we could have left there with a result. We had a much better second half and really should have found an equaliser.

Newcastle had control of the first half and it was easy for them but in the second half we showed that we are at least good enough to give the play-offs a good old push. It was a tale of the playmakers today. Shelvey ran it for Newcastle, we were missing Hughes. If we had Hughes and NUFC were instead missing Shelvey, it could possibly have been a very different game. 

A disappointing result but the other than Sheff Wed and Norwich, results haven't been too bad for us this weekend. We have the cup replay then three home games in a row. Bristol City, Cardiff and Burton. No reason why we can't take 9 points and that's what I would be expecting from us.

17 games to go and we've only got to play two of the teams above us in the league, albeit they're two away games against Sheff Wed and Brighton. Other than that we have one other top half side to play away - Birmingham.

It could be worse. I think we're still in a great position to push for a top six finish so no need to be all doom and gloom just yet.

Great post @Kernow. I'm just driving home from the match and feel a lot more upbeat than this thread so far would indicate. 

You have just put today back into perspective!

Again, just disappointed for those that made the trip up today (or down if you live in Scotland ;)). I've only been to SJP once and I thought it was magnificent so I can imagine those there today still had a reasonably decent day despite the result.

Would have liked us to have maybe gone for the throat from kick off to try and take advantage of the Benitez uncertainty and any potential hangover from that last minute QPR hammerblow the other night but it wasn't to be.

We're still in a healthy place for the play offs. I don't think anyone realistically thought automatic was possible but now we've a real scrap on for a play off spot and the next few games are must wins really as a few bad results and we could be quite a margin adrift of even those.

Never mind, we move on and just hats off to the travelling Rams contingent for representing the football club, the city of Derby and those of us that couldn't be there today.

Gave them far too much respect early on, they're better than us but they're not worlds away. Should have come out with a lot more fighting spirit and got in their faces rather than sitting back and inviting pressure. Should probably have started Camara because Russell didn't look quite 100% yet.

However, we shouldn't be panicking at the result, Newcastle are better than us and we should expect that sort of result- it's not the end of the world. That shouldn't stop us from looking at what went wrong of course, the performance is what concerns me, we shouldn't be resorting to so many hopeless hoofballs and should have at least had some idea on how to counter Newcastle.

There was nothing to stop us pressing Newcastle more, we actually won the ball quite a few times when we did. And again there was nothing to stop us from getting it on the floor more and playing with a bit more pace, again we started to do this once Camara was on and we created quite a few chances and could have actually nicked a point.

All round an unsurprising defeat, against a team clearly better than us and not something we should panic about with the squad in its current state. Of course we could say why the squad isn't good enough, but that's a different arguement. What however is disappointing and concerning is that matter of the performance for the first 70 minutes, tactically we were outdone and didn't look anywhere near like a team who even should be on the same pitch as Newcastle which isn't right at all as we proved later on in the match. So the question that the coaching staff need to look at is why didn't we start with the energy that we finished with?

We got exactly the amount of points we deserved today. You can't just turn up for the last 15 minutes of a game and expect to win anything. Pressing them at the end threw them into a panic and we could've had a couple of goals and should've had a penalty in my opinion. Why show them too much respect by not doing that throughout the game?

Disappointed with the place TBH, I don't know if it was lost because of the distance we were away, but the atmosphere was one of the worst I've been to this season. 

Our fans didn't really get going either (again you're so far away that you wonder if anyone can hear you) until Camara started warming up half way through the second half. 

5 minutes ago, curb said:

Disappointed with the place TBH, I don't know if it was lost because of the distance we were away, but the atmosphere was one of the worst I've been to this season. 

Our fans didn't really get going either (again you're so far away that you wonder if anyone can hear you) until Camara started warming up half way through the second half. 

Thanks for that curb. It's always good to hear reports from those who were there, not just about the game but what fans did during the day and what they got up to and what the fans were like inside and outside the ground. Gives us who weren't there some info about the whole away day.

Archived