Newcastle United v Derby County match day thread

DEL

Just before the expected deluge of negativity comes pouring in about how we're not good enough etc., we actually have a good account of ourselves in the end. Newcastle have a PL squad and will be there at the end. We don't need to be better than them to go up, yet on another day we could have left there with a result. We had a much better second half and really should have found an equaliser.

Newcastle had control of the first half and it was easy for them but in the second half we showed that we are at least good enough to give the play-offs a good old push. It was a tale of the playmakers today. Shelvey ran it for Newcastle, we were missing Hughes. If we had Hughes and NUFC were instead missing Shelvey, it could possibly have been a very different game. 

A disappointing result but the other than Sheff Wed and Norwich, results haven't been too bad for us this weekend. We have the cup replay then three home games in a row. Bristol City, Cardiff and Burton. No reason why we can't take 9 points and that's what I would be expecting from us.

17 games to go and we've only got to play two of the teams above us in the league, albeit they're two away games against Sheff Wed and Brighton. Other than that we have one other top half side to play away - Birmingham.

It could be worse. I think we're still in a great position to push for a top six finish so no need to be all doom and gloom just yet.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tactics: stay in it for 75 minutes then let's have a bit of a go.  

Pretty usual when playing a team who are clearly superior (on paper), but Newcastle didn't do a lot to earn that win.  It was a bit like the game we had against Birmingham a few weeks ago - it was like we were waiting to get beaten.  Quite why we don't just have a right good go for these types of games I'll never know (but then I'm not a manager...), front foot, high press and make them a bit more rattled than sitting back and nervously lumping it up to a non-holdup striker.  

Hey ho, some winnable games coming up.  

pity .. Nearly took a point home. Still 3 points from 2 away games against cloggers and league leaders. Has to be seen as a reasonable par. 

Take something from this. Mac will have noted Razza's effect on the game. The players will know themselves that they didn't push hard enough early on. Seen more of Anya, De Saart and Razza, good game time in the team for all of them. 

Dissapointed but not down. Come on you Rams 

4 minutes ago, Whoneedshuls said:

Gotta win next couple of games if we have any chance to get in playoffs at the end well regret not strengthening enough in January this season the players were there to get we just don't have good enough scouts to get them :( 

Jesus wept. One game against arguably the best team in the league and we're already regretting not strengthening in January.

Do tell me which players that you know were available that our scouts were unable to spot? Or are you referring to players like Wildschut who we were beaten to by Norwich who were happy to overpay because they already had a big sale to fund the bid?

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Yes, if only we'd got Hughes and Martin to replace them! :p

Martin would have been a vast improvement. I was actually angry watching Bent - he really looked like he could care less. Flicking headers to no one getting caught offside and just getting dispossesed so easily. If he's not going to bother then he should ask to sit.

11 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Just before the expected deluge of negativity comes pouring in about how we're not good enough etc., we actually have a good account of ourselves in the end. Newcastle have a PL squad and will be there at the end. We don't need to be better than them to go up, yet on another day we could have left there with a result. We had a much better second half and really should have found an equaliser.

Newcastle had control of the first half and it was easy for them but in the second half we showed that we are at least good enough to give the play-offs a good old push. It was a tale of the playmakers today. Shelvey ran it for Newcastle, we were missing Hughes. If we had Hughes and NUFC were instead missing Shelvey, it could possibly have been a very different game. 

A disappointing result but the other than Sheff Wed and Norwich, results haven't been too bad for us this weekend. We have the cup replay then three home games in a row. Bristol City, Cardiff and Burton. No reason why we can't take 9 points and that's what I would be expecting from us.

17 games to go and we've only got to play two of the teams above us in the league, albeit they're two away games against Sheff Wed and Brighton. Other than that we have one other top half side to play away - Birmingham.

It could be worse. I think we're still in a great position to push for a top six finish so no need to be all doom and gloom just yet.

Such a weird division this year....wolves beat Liverpool then get beat by burton and we win by three then only just get beaten at newcastle away....And we could easily have drawn

The results can go anyway this year so not getting disheartened.

Better this than where we were under pearson

10 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I struggle to see a premier league squad when I look at Newcastle's team. Ritchie played league football most of his career and the rest are quite average. Maybe Shelley sticks out and controlled the match. 

3 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Jesus wept. One game against arguably the best team in the league and we're already regretting not strengthening in January.

Do tell me which players that you know were available that our scouts were unable to spot? Or are you referring to players like Wildschut who we were beaten to by Norwich who were happy to overpay because they already had a big sale to fund the bid?

As OB and the others are now saying, Newcastle aren't that good. In fact we dispossessed them at will. Too little too late from us gainst a very vulnerable overrated team, mac says "lack of belief"  but did he believe ? 

The curse of the left back now seems to have struck in midfield.. thorne, Hughes, Bryson and Johnson out.

Where is Jeff Hendrick when we need him?

4 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Martin would have been a vast improvement. I was actually angry watching Bent - he really looked like he could care less. Flicking headers to no one getting caught offside and just getting dispossesed so easily. If he's not going to bother then he should ask to sit.

He's being asked to play a game that isn't his first choice. He didn't get a lot of decent ball today, the last minute corner was about it. Still, he's better than Vydra! (Oh and Blackman can't even get in the squad!)

Just now, Ninos said:

As OB and the others are now saying, Newcastle aren't that good. In fact we dispossessed them at will. Too little too late from us gainst a very vulnerable overrated team, mac says "lack of belief"  but did he believe ? 

x_files_i_want_to_believe_maxi_poster_xl

1 minute ago, Andrew James said:

I struggle to see a premier league squad when I look at Newcastle's team. Ritchie played league football most of his career and the rest are quite average. Maybe Shelley sticks out and controlled the match. 

Your opinion, fair enough. They blow teams away in this league though and seem to only drop points when they have a bad day. Averaged something ridiculous like two goals per game over the season and scored 9 more than the next highest scoring team, whilst having the third best defence. Too good for this league.

Archived