Newcastle United v Derby County match day thread

DEL

12 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Anyone there comment on the atmosphere in the away end? Was it full? Good spirits or any problems? Plenty of singing and support? Any beer chucking at this one? :p

Good atmosphere pre-match and quite a lot of singing in the concourse  but I didn't experience any beer slinging!

For me, I was a little bit intimidated by the height of the seats above the pitch first half. There were a lot more people sitting than usual (including me) and the singing was rather fragmented.

I am sure the football didn't help. Strangely enough, the Newcastle fans were really quiet too. I was expecting that wall of sound that we get at Leeds but there was nothing. Unless we just couldn't hear it up in the stratosphere!

Second half I thought we got louder as we became more accustomed to our surroundings. I plucked up courage to stand, much to the relief of the guys in front of me and like others found my voice in response to the improved performance down below.

Biggest noise of the afternoon though was the cheer of relief from the home fans on the final whistle!

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, curb said:

Disappointed with the place TBH, I don't know if it was lost because of the distance we were away, but the atmosphere was one of the worst I've been to this season. 

Our fans didn't really get going either (again you're so far away that you wonder if anyone can hear you) until Camara started warming up half way through the second half. 

I agree - I was sat in Geordies end lower down - didn't hear you guys until 60 mins - 3500 of you!!!

14 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Thanks for that curb. It's always good to hear reports from those who were there, not just about the game but what fans did during the day and what they got up to and what the fans were like inside and outside the ground. Gives us who weren't there some info about the whole away day.

It was a bit odd after the game, we were made to go left, but wanted to go right so we doubled round and walked under the stand. There were about 50 Newcastle chavvy 12-15 year olds stood behind the stewards trying to 'have a go' at the Derby fans but all they had to do was walk another 10 yards where everyone was just mingling in together. When we doubled back under the stand we just walked straight through the middle of them. 

4 minutes ago, irobinson said:

I agree - I was sat in Geordies end lower down - didn't hear you guys until 60 mins - 3500 of you!!!

Heard "if you don't f***ing bounce" loud n clear on radio Derby during the first half! The Georgie's sounded quite loud at times too.

Biggest disappointment for me today is the fact that we've not put a performance in again on the road against one of the bigger sides.... that's Norwich, Leeds and now Newcastle where we haven't had a proper go, and not scored a goal....

Still believe we'll be there or thereabouts come May though...plenty of winnable games left..

2 hours ago, eddie said:

I might be boring but at least I'm not as thick as pigshit.

Oh Eddie I always look forward to your comments which are witty and insightful and cutting but this really lets you down. I'm disappointed with you.  :(

31 minutes ago, DerbyMark said:

Heard "if you don't f***ing bounce" loud n clear on radio Derby during the first half! The Georgie's sounded quite loud at times too.

Biggest disappointment for me today is the fact that we've not put a performance in again on the road against one of the bigger sides.... that's Norwich, Leeds and now Newcastle where we haven't had a proper go, and not scored a goal....

Still believe we'll be there or thereabouts come May though...plenty of winnable games left..

But not having a go at the bigger teams is mor a mindset from our players that we are not quite good enough. That is sadly also a fact though in my opinion.

Still I trust Mac to sort it in the off season assuming we are in the Champ next year.

Gutted. Could've scored 3 in the last 15 mins but not to be. Still drinking to forget and will post properly later. In summary, we started slowly, made Newcastle look good (and they're nowt special) for 45 mins, and then could've equalised a few times. Geordies sang their usual 2 songs and were library style quiet except for the goal and ubiquitous booing of anything that's not going their way. Special fans, my arse - a media and North East regurgitated myth. 

Quietest we've been away for years, especially considering the numbers. The make up of the ground doesn't help. It's like looking over the fence at someone else's party. Through binoculars. 

Good to meet some Rams before the match including some forum members. Safe travelling home folks.

19 minutes ago, rammieib said:

But not having a go at the bigger teams is mor a mindset from our players that we are not quite good enough. That is sadly also a fact though in my opinion.

Still I trust Mac to sort it in the off season assuming we are in the Champ next year.

Well just watched the highlights and according to Macca we put in an excellent performance and didn't deserve to lose...!

Certainly looked more of an even contest than it sounded earlier listening to Ramage and Co..though I suspect that's more down to Channel 5's editing..

1 hour ago, DerbyMark said:

Trying to win in last 15 is tedious - sigh - could have won it 

Some derby fans really let out club down starting fights with other derby fans. I think to much beer and can not handle there drink I think newcastle stwards did a great job in trying stop it getting and removing the ones involded or the ones who started it.

Real disappointment with the display following Ipswich. One of the easiest matches Newcastle will play this season. (Far too much respect shown).

Russell should of been subbed in the first half after his injury. Nothing happened for the lad in the first 45.

Once bryson went off the legs had gone in midfield and I feared for our midfield.

I can take a 1-0 defeat away to a team that has just came down from the prem but our performance was unacceptable.

I've never known a team to be losing 1-0 to play keep ball in our own half as much as Derby. It's a joke! It's the only thing that winds me up as a supporter. 

By all means if we're level or winning keep the ball/slow the game down BUT losing???!!! 

I hate being negative so if we can win our next two home games vs Brizzle City & Cardiff this loss will hopefully be irrelevant!

COYR!

Ps to all the fans that went you were superb! Very loud especially in second half. Hats off to you all.

2 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Anyone there comment on the atmosphere in the away end? Was it full? Good spirits or any problems? Plenty of singing and support? Any beer chucking at this one? :p

Second half atmosphere was great with the Abdoul Camara chants going constantly. It's so strange being right at the top, you don't feel like you can connect with the team, especially when they come to clap at the end. Got a little bit aggressive in the concourses after the game, I don't think they took to us singing the Steve McClaren song too well! Stewards had to separate us but to a slightly drunk person (me), it was all fun and games!

Archived