Ollie Watkins - Signed for Brentford

Arsene Titman

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

That is what we were saying when Bournemouth got promoted, Stoke got promoted, Swansea got promoted, Leicester got promoted, thats what people were saying about Huddersfield last year and what we are saying about Huddersfield and a Brighton this year.

If it proves anything, it is that anything can happen in football and us fans know sod all ?

Not saying I am an expert but i wasn't massively surprised any of those sides went up. I tipped Huddersfield to do well last year too. The point you are making though is correct there is always a surprise package and Brentford i suppose could be that.

@Bfc1997 said:

I'm not sure why you think that. Were you at the game at Griffin Park last season?

Our target was Premier League in 3 years.  First two years, we've spent building a squad with long contracts, young but experienced, versatile and deep. We're now sprinkling it with quality and I've no doubt we'll be nowhere near the bottom end of the table.

I am not saying you will go down. I just think you are more likely to go down then up- you keep losing your best players and finding the odd gem to replace them. Eventually you don't find that gem. Bristol City are in a similar situation probably worse off to be honest, when they sold Kodija it was looking bleak but then signed Abraham on loan.

No i didn't see the game last year nor does that have anything do with it? One good game against a mid table side at home doesn't make me think Brentford are going up.

Time will tell- i have no hatred towards Brentford at all and wouldn't mind them doing well. (as long as it doesn't compromise our season)

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Both are worth more now than what we would have paid, likewise don't know what your point was with Bogle? He was playing in a very poor team that created nothing. Doubt the lord saviour Chris Martin would have done any better for them so why hold that against him? It's all ifs and maybes. 

Well you were criticosong the club's scouting saying that he will be in the prem and worth £15m, so I brought up Bogle, the last player in a similar position to Watkins, to counter balance your argument. Then you bring up 2 players that were signed from Championship teams for millions more than we were spending on individuals (also one of which is still a championship player not a prem player)

5 minutes ago, rynny said:

Well you were criticosong the club's scouting saying that he will be in the prem and worth £15m, so I brought up Bogle, the last player in a similar position to Watkins, to counter balance your argument. Then you bring up 2 players that were signed from Championship teams for millions more than we were spending on individuals (also one of which is still a championship player not a prem player)

I was clearly being satirical...

11 minutes ago, Simsy said:

I am not saying you will go down. I just think you are more likely to go down then up- you keep losing your best players and finding the odd gem to replace them. Eventually you don't find that gem. Bristol City are in a similar situation probably worse off to be honest, when they sold Kodija it was looking bleak but then signed Abraham on loan.

No i didn't see the game last year nor does that have anything do with it? One good game against a mid table side at home doesn't make me think Brentford are going up.

Time will tell- i have no hatred towards Brentford at all and wouldn't mind them doing well. (as long as it doesn't compromise our season)

Fair enough. 

Worth noting that when we've lost our best players in the past, it's because they've not had long contracts.  Our prized assets now have 2 years minimum.

We also do tend to get a good fee and reinvest cleverly - so we're not really relying on luck to find our gems. Interestingly we were in for Abraham but Chelsea wanted £1m+ as a loan fee! I think we'll pay something similar up front for Watkins, so we definitely are getting the better deal there.

Just now, rcarso1 said:

Good player but another 30 year old! Having said that,I'd rather have him than Russell.

Different players 

Different positions

Both are good players so I'd say both better than Blackman for sure lol. 

5 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

Even my grand mother is better than Blackman, even now!

She has been dead for over 40 years

He's put a marker down thus far in pre-season and could still come good. Be some man-size portions of humble pie for some on here to scoff if he does :thumbsup:

Archived