Ollie Watkins - Signed for Brentford

Arsene Titman

We only really need another winger or two, without the exit of Bryson, Vydra or Butterfield, I can't see how we could justify buying him. 

It's real shame because he should be a player right up Rowett's street.

Young, athletic and strong while still being decent on the ball. I've pointed out on here he's won the same award the likes of Gareth Bale, Hathaniel Clyne, that Will Hughes and Paul Ince's lad have won. It's an award which has been running since about 03/04 and all the winners have at least ended up playing in the PL at some point. 

I think he'll end up at least being a decent Championship player. Would have suited McClaren's 4-3-3 as a successor to Bryson's 13/14 role, I reckon.

Oh well. Hopefully I'm wrong and he's awful for Brentford.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

If they keep Jota and Ryan Woods their team is very impressive. Fancy them for top 6. 

Spot on they'll be up there for sure.

If £1.8m was such a bargain, how many of the other 22 Championship clubs did Brentford have to battle with for his signature?

Yes you could say well David how many clubs offered the release clauses on Huddlestone and Davies and you would be correct and I would stumble to find a reply to that. But still, how many clubs were in for him? :p 

5 minutes ago, David said:

If £1.8m was such a bargain, how many of the other 22 Championship clubs did Brentford have to battle with for his signature?

Yes you could say well David how many clubs offered the release clauses on Huddlestone and Davies and you would be correct and I would stumble to find a reply to that. But still, how many clubs were in for him? :p 

It is a fair point though, because it does seem like a bargain.

£500k for Curtis Davies is a bargain. £2mil for Huddlestone is a bargain. Hughes was a bargain for Watford. All only had one team reported to be in for them.

I can't really think of a reason for it, there must be some sort of agreement early on in these deals before they become common knowledge. Sometimes those agreements are broken when players change their mind, but if you're true to your word then there's no point in teams bidding for a player they won't get.

Definitely missed out here, but I can understand why players would like to go to Brentford and he may have chose them over a lot of other teams. 

Their record of improving players and selling them on is great. He will see them as a stepping stone for him to push on and it's one of the best places to do it.

I can't think of many players we have bought, improved and sold on really (excluding academy).

Archived