Derby County v Leicester City (FA Cup) - Match Day Thread

DEL

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

They keep ringing up savage on 606 to say they want him back.........even Savage can see its not a good idea.

Pearson is made for the forest job though.....

I can see Pearson at Forest happening....except I just can't see anyone managing 2 such close rivals ....

Apart from Clough...he was the exception...

And Billy...

Ohhhh and of course ex-Forest Wassall and Clough managing us...

And... of course Steve....

Damn that's some incestuous  ****.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, brady1993 said:

My hope is Johnson can do it or we have a resurgent Bryson but like I said above Johnson seemed to lack a little mobility when played there the last couple of games to me and that combined with his technical deficiencies does have me worried. Hopefully I'm wrong, and we see the all-action Johnson that scored twice against Hull last year. What little bits I've seen of Elsnik he looks he could really develop into a good player, I'd like to see him get game time but I'll trust McClaren to introduce him when he's ready. 

Personally, I'd like us to use this Leicester game as a bit of a test run for the rest of season and try get players who we think are going to become key player game time. Meaning that I'd be tempted to bring in Nugent and Christie, keep De Sart as DM (I think his problem right now is lack of match fitness) and pick the best out of Johnson, Butterfield and Bryson (genuinely not sure which to go with) to go in the midfield with Hughes and De Sart. Otherwise same eleven as last saturday. 

I don't rate Johnson as a CM at all. Apart from the odd game we can pick out he's been pretty rubbish there. His passing is pretty awful when under pressure. It's not sharp or quick, it's usually telegraphed. He's one of those bizarre players that somehow has better long range passing than short. 

He's very much suited to DM. 

Even playing for Norwich hid best was on the left. 

Central midfield for me is for players of fast thought and imagination. It's the area where a game is won and lost with any team who likes the ball on the floor and tries to be proactive. Not a place for Johnson.

I know he played well vs Hull but Bob Malcolm played well vs Wolves.

I quite rate Butterfield. His position does need to have more drive forward but it's been a long time since Bryson showed that. Butterfield does at least offer a foothold in the middle, a safe pair of feet and whatever anyone says, he does create chances. 

In the long term though I think Butterfield is more of a back up to Hughes. A support player. Sounds a bit low profile but as we see when Hughes doesn't play... everyone starts panic passing with little to no idea how to build through the pitch

I could totally see Pearson to forest happening.

Pearson didn't come out of his time here looking good, but he might see it as a chance to get back back in the game, forest might see it as a chance to get a manager with some name and standing, forest fans would delude themselves that the Leicester glow is undimmed and write his time here off as "just them".

And forest don't have much of a team for him to rip apart so they might put up with him until he gets his new version of leicester built.

Would he keep them up? I wouldn't rule it out.

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I don't rate Johnson as a CM at all. Apart from the odd game we can pick out he's been pretty rubbish there. His passing is pretty awful when under pressure. It's not sharp or quick, it's usually telegraphed. He's one of those bizarre players that somehow has better long range passing than short. 

He's very much suited to DM. 

Even playing for Norwich hid best was on the left. 

Central midfield for me is for players of fast thought and imagination. It's the area where a game is won and lost with any team who likes the ball on the floor and tries to be proactive. Not a place for Johnson.

I know he played well vs Hull but Bob Malcolm played well vs Wolves.

Yeah in general I'm with you regarding Johnson and it's where my view always seems to fall on him. With that said he was genuinely good against Hull and put a couple of very good performances in there early in the season with Wolves at home standing out to memory. He is better at DM but then you run into other problems, such as the other two midfielders having to do all the playmaking and having to collect the ball off the defence because Johnson can't reliably do it. Ultimately (I suspect I will take some flak for this) I think long term he's too technically deficient for us to play him anywhere in the midfield with the way we want to play, I just struggle to see us recreating that slick midfield passing we had previously under McClaren whilst Johnson is a regular.

12 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I quite rate Butterfield. His position does need to have more drive forward but it's been a long time since Bryson showed that. Butterfield does at least offer a foothold in the middle, a safe pair of feet and whatever anyone says, he does create chances. 

In the long term though I think Butterfield is more of a back up to Hughes. A support player. Sounds a bit low profile but as we see when Hughes doesn't play... everyone starts panic passing with little to no idea how to build through the pitch

I agree completely about Butterfield and I honestly think he's the 2nd best midfielder we have (well third including Thorne). An ugly truth to consider as well is Hughes won't be at Derby much longer and maybe when that happens we'll be glad we can turn to Butterfield. 

@brady1993 I'd agree with all of that.

I got the impression from what Norwich fans commented when he came here was his main attribute was his leadership in that Norwich side, he was their Bucko type cult hero who just loved and was loved and succeeded based on will power.

He's never really recreated that here, and clearly not suited to Clement's idea of how to play the game, and unfortunately inured at the end of the season under wassall. I personally think he's got a decent football brain, which is helping his DM duties, he can see what he needs to do, it's just his execution isn't the best, which is why he can play good long passes where he can see what to do.

But I think overall, not a well thought out transfer, and a good (some teams very good) championship player, but not the right player for where we want to go. None of that should undermine the fact he's been our best option at DM this season and a big part in our upturn since the Mac came back.

5 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

@brady1993 I'd agree with all of that.

I got the impression from what Norwich fans commented when he came here was his main attribute was his leadership in that Norwich side, he was their Bucko type cult hero who just loved and was loved and succeeded based on will power.

He's never really recreated that here, and clearly not suited to Clement's idea of how to play the game, and unfortunately inured at the end of the season under wassall. I personally think he's got a decent football brain, which is helping his DM duties, he can see what he needs to do, it's just his execution isn't the best, which is why he can play good long passes where he can see what to do.

But I think overall, not a well thought out transfer, and a good (some teams very good) championship player, but not the right player for where we want to go. None of that should undermine the fact he's been our best option at DM this season and a big part in our upturn since the Mac came back.

I agree with your post entirely. I just wanted to say that I'd not thought about what you said (in the highlighted) and your absolutely spot on. It's one thing that I've been really surprised with in our recent run is how good Johnson's positioning and tactical discipline has been playing that role. I do think he could be a useful asset for the squad going forward, his qualities could be very useful for certain fixtures or certain game situations but I just don't see that role being in the first team. 

Best Ref In The World?????

They clearly forgot when Spurs scored a goal that was about 2 yards over the line against Mark's Man Utd side, and Mark Clattenburg failed to give it, and his linesman was already day dreaming about another glass of red wine and a good chin wag after the game with the officials best mate, Sir Alex Ferguson, no wonder why they won everything.

Here's hoping he gives the home side the benefit of the doubt on Friday, as he usually does when reffing Man Utd at Old Trafford.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/best-referee-in-the-world-to-take-charge-of-derby-county-v-leicester-city-fa-cup-tie/story-30082927-detail/story.html

I've given a prediction of 4-2 and just followed that up with a small wager with Mr Hill at 80-1 for said scoreline. It's written in the stars surely..... seeing as I didnt cop for the 76m in last night lottery this has to be my compensation 

Archived