Derby County v Leicester City (FA Cup) - Match Day Thread

DEL

This is why I love the f.a cup, great game last night, full of passion from the players, and the crowd, can not believe the gate was only 25000, those of you who did not go you missed a cracking game, great goals by Bent and Bryson, who was excellent last night, also thought Baird was excellent, Carson very good good as usual, also thought Ince and Hughes showed why they would be very good players in the premier league. Still think we can beat Leicester at the King Power, want to get as far as possible in the f.a cup, as I for one love this competition.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, RamNut said:

The concern is 38% possession v Leicester at home, 42% v Reading at home.

bouncing off the ropes trying to land a counter punch

it would be nice if we could control it a little bit more

Leicester won the premier league last year averaging about 35% possession. It's not how much you have it's what you do with it. That's always been my excuse anyway 

1 hour ago, Doodle said:

Leicester won the premier league last year averaging about 35% possession. It's not how much you have it's what you do with it. That's always been my excuse anyway 

We conceeded four goals in those two games,

if we score at least three every week i might start to agree with you.

My collected thoughts having driven to glasgow after the game last night:

Decent atmosphere. I don't mid slightly less fans if we're going to support the team.

Entertaining game.

Leicester are not special - that was a full strength fester side giving it their best to win and only just got the draw.

Shame about the OG but it wasn't until we were one down we got going properly.

both attacks looked good, both defences flaky.

Hughes was not just having a good game, he was showing off for telly a bit in 1st half as well - really enjoying the game and clearly capable vs PL midfielder. Once he went off I got the sense it'll be all them til the end.

Gave a good account of ourselves. Loved both our goals, thought both their goals were rubbish goals to concede (although i grant they did have good chances they didn't take)

I was gutted JR put his header wide, i would have been beautiful.

As a team, I thought we did well, I was happy with the draw in the end, just a shame it was so late in the game they got the goal. When Hughes went off and butters came on, leicester were on top, so it was going to be difficult, he lacks confidence at the moment, I'm convinced that is the main thing with a few of our players.

I knew we weren't going to get the shout on the pen.

We'll probably lose the replay by two or three goals. 

Totally agree with @jono, @RadioactiveWaste and @Derby blood.

What's not to like about a great cup tie against the current Premier league champions under floodlights and on tv? Tickets were reasonably priced too so I was surprised to see how few of my usual season ticket 'neighbours' were around. Of course they could have moved to the West Stand for the night! 

Fantastic opportunity for both clubs to gain a confidence boosting win and the atmosphere reflected that. I thought both home and away fans were in great voice.

A real topsy-turvy game that kept you on the edge of your seat throughout.

Bent first villain then hero, Bryson reminding us why he is such a fans' favorite, Ince and Hughes oozing premier league class. Just as importantly Olsson with his best game for Derby, Johnson a battling warrior, Keogh and Pearce defending stoutly and Baird with a mature assured performance thoughout. Carson battling through injury  shows the fighting spirit of this team. Yes, we didn't have too much possession and we had to defend for our lives at times but when we attacked we always looked dangerous. During the game it was really hard to predict the result (although strangely before it I did just that!) 

Looking forward to the replay and I hope we sell out our allocation and make as much noise as we did at West Brom. COYR! 

Great post @RadioactiveWaste

you made me smile with the "Hughes showing off for the telly" .. Yes he was and wasn't it great to see a player with that confidence in his own ability. He can showboat like that all day long for me because when he has had his little game he still usually makes a pass to his own team. 

Once in my life I saw George Best as an aging tubby bloke in a testimonial.(Alex Stepney) Came on as a sub, beat a left back .. Then turned round beat him again in the opposite direction, then beat him again the third time and put the cross in. All for the pure joy of it and the entertainment of the crowd.  Last night Hughsey with the ball at his feet was getting close to that. ... When he interacts with Ince who also has "the touch" you see what he could be.

Hughseeee COYR

8 hours ago, Doodle said:

Obviously sees very few games if he thinks it's not been better since Clough left. Needs to let it go now, its history. Strange time after a great game with a great atmosphere, to play your " I told you so" card

And where exactly did I type that I didn't think it's been better since Clough left and the fact I put I didn't think it was poor from us last night, quoting the opposite to Srg's comments etc. I don't need to let anything go and I don't want to play a 'I told you so" card as I enjoyed the game and thought we played well, but I don't think we"ll get promoted or win out with McClaren or Clough, just said that we would remain a top 10 championship side and Forest with Clough may catch us up. And are we any further forward, other than having Carson, Thorne? Anybody else since Clough's squad, you'd be desperate to keep? Probably further forward behind the scenes, off the pitch etc.

Not strange, just some of you can't even read, never mind understand football!

18 minutes ago, angieram said:

Totally agree with @jono, @RadioactiveWaste and @Derby blood.

What's not to like about a great cup tie against the current Premier league champions under floodlights and on tv? Tickets were reasonably priced too so I was surprised to see how few of my usual season ticket 'neighbours' were around. Of course they could have moved to the West Stand for the night! 

Fantastic opportunity for both clubs to gain a confidence boosting win and the atmosphere reflected that. I thought both home and away fans were in great voice.

A real topsy-turvy game that kept you on the edge of your seat throughout.

Bent first villain then hero, Bryson reminding us why he is such a fans' favorite, Ince and Hughes oozing premier league class. Just as importantly Olsson with his best game for Derby, Johnson a battling warrior, Keogh and Pearce defending stoutly and Baird with a mature assured performance thoughout. Carson battling through injury  shows the fighting spirit of this team. Yes, we didn't have too much possession and we had to defend for our lives at times but when we attacked we always looked dangerous. During the game it was really hard to predict the result (although strangely before it I did just that!) 

Looking forward to the replay and I hope we sell out our allocation and make as much noise as we did at West Brom. COYR! 

Angie .. You really do write the best match reports ever. I am kind of jealous. in a nice way of course :p

18 hours ago, G-Ram said:

Another positive is it was on the bbc, the neutral probably tuned in and it was a bloody good game of football

i live in manchester & when i tell people i support derby the next sentance is either something to do with 11 points or 'does that young lad still play for you, he's meant to be good' referring to hughes... or why derby? 

the neutral that knows nothing about derby will have watched that and thought actually these are a decent side & to be fair that performance makes me proud

i can go in work in monday and all the united & city fans will be like 'that was a good game you have some decent players, you were unlucky' rather than the ignorant comments by people that know nothing saying 'you're sh**e' 

im actually happy we turned up ... cheers lads 

And if you get the train in to Piccadilly G-Ram just sometimes you might have a Ram chauffeuring you :D

No way was it only 25,000. There were less than 3000 available during the day. East and south stands full. Yes north looked half full but only about 2500 wer available there.

i assume West looked full but couldn't tell as sat in it. I wonder if we are pulling a fast one to keep some extra cash?

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

No way was it only 25,000. There were less than 3000 available during the day. East and south stands full. Yes north looked half full but only about 2500 wer available there.

i assume West looked full but couldn't tell as sat in it. I wonder if we are pulling a fast one to keep some extra cash?

West certainly wasn't full where I was. Ground was definitely less full than an average league game , it just sounded louder than usual. 

On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 20:33, PistoldPete2 said:

West certainly wasn't full where I was. Ground was definitely less full than an average league game , it just sounded louder than usual. 

I had a ticket for the North Stand but couldn't go due to illness so watched on telly. Really good game too. Thoroughly enjoyed it. The last two home games I've missed and we've done well and there's been 9 goals in total and we've not lost.

I'm back in the room for the next home game so expect a dour 0-0.

Yes the Leicester game. Really good stuff and such a bizarre OG from Bent. My God just kick it man!! :lol:

Superb header for the equaliser though to give him credit and Bryson's goal too. He took it into the box and I'm thinking "what you taking it in there for?! You're obviously going to get dispossessed in a minute!". Then he just kept on going and eases a shot away into the far corner! Excellent.

Both goals we conceded I thought were poor and in that respect I was gutted to see Leicester equalise with minutes remaining but great credit to both sides who put out strong line ups.

I cannot help but think the chance has passed though but IF we can somehow squeeze through the replay then without disrespecting a solid looking Millwall side, a semi final is ours surely?

Anyway, just gutted to have missed the game in person but got to see it on telly so not too bad.

Anyone mention why De Sart didn't feature in this game, as according to quite a few on here, he played really well in the last round against WBA. Did his Leeds performance make McClaren opt for safety first and revert back to predictability? and how many Derby fans watching the last 10 minutes of the game honestly admitted to themselves, that we wouldn't be able to see a 2-1 result out?

I did enjoy watching Wolves win at Liverpool on the Sunday, seeing how organised they were, and thought at the time, we would have let the scousers equalise and McClaren would have been all smarmy and smiley with Klopp on the touch line afterwards, before we let the game slip away in the replay.

Choose Life - Choose History Repeating Itself - Choose Your Future. SM1,2 & 3. How many goes? Does MM know?

Archived