Derby County v Leicester City (FA Cup) - Match Day Thread

DEL

4 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Johnson is certainly a big asset in both boxes but one thing I'm concerned with when he's played further forward (besides the lack of quality on the ball) is whether he has the athleticism to go box to box and break beyond the forward line ? To play that role effectively you need to have a bit of pace and be supremely athletic in order to make those surging off the ball runs, getting beyond the forward line.

But we have no centre mid with pace? Hughes is getting forward the most as well out of our midfielders.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, rammieib said:

But we have no centre mid with pace? Hughes is getting forward the most as well out of our midfielders.

I don't mean that they have to be rapid but they need to be mobile enough to make those runs into the final third, think 13/14 Bryson or what Hendrick was like. 

54 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I don't mean that they have to be rapid but they need to be mobile enough to make those runs into the final third, think 13/14 Bryson or what Hendrick was like. 

I think Johnson might be able to do the job reasonably and I like his strength but a "worth a punt" risk would be to give Elsnik a try, even off the bench ?

20 minutes ago, jono said:

I think Johnson might be able to do the job reasonably and I like his strength but a "worth a punt" risk would be to give Elsnik a try, even off the bench ?

My hope is Johnson can do it or we have a resurgent Bryson but like I said above Johnson seemed to lack a little mobility when played there the last couple of games to me and that combined with his technical deficiencies does have me worried. Hopefully I'm wrong, and we see the all-action Johnson that scored twice against Hull last year. What little bits I've seen of Elsnik he looks he could really develop into a good player, I'd like to see him get game time but I'll trust McClaren to introduce him when he's ready. 

Personally, I'd like us to use this Leicester game as a bit of a test run for the rest of season and try get players who we think are going to become key player game time. Meaning that I'd be tempted to bring in Nugent and Christie, keep De Sart as DM (I think his problem right now is lack of match fitness) and pick the best out of Johnson, Butterfield and Bryson (genuinely not sure which to go with) to go in the midfield with Hughes and De Sart. Otherwise same eleven as last saturday. 

It is the key question isn't it ?  .. who plays with Hughes ? It applies to our league team as well.

Agree .. leave De Saart where he is .. time to improve and get fit .. Even on the scant evidence we have had I reckon he has the touch and the ability. Would Mac would have gone for him purely as cover for Johnson and a recovering Thorne. I don't think so.

SO : the toss up is .......

Johnno, rough and tough, ball winner

Bryson .. can he get his form and energy back to 13/14 levels

Or Butterfield who has a bit of everything but hasn't shone in any area particularly

Or an Elsnik gamble .. but yes a Mac decision on the moment to introduce

I am not sure that you rate Hanson as highly as I do but he could do a job in that position IMO. He is quick, strong and positive.

Nugent .. well yes but I don't want him rushed back after that knock. If he is good to go then lets do it. If not then patience please.

Christie .. I am nervous about this with it being Leicester as I think Baird's experience defensively could be useful although Christie carries way more threat going forward and could add missing momentum.

7 minutes ago, jono said:

It is the key question isn't it ?  .. who plays with Hughes ? It applies to our league team as well.

Agree .. leave De Saart where he is .. time to improve and get fit .. Even on the scant evidence we have had I reckon he has the touch and the ability. Would Mac would have gone for him purely as cover for Johnson and a recovering Thorne. I don't think so.

SO : the toss up is .......

Johnno, rough and tough, ball winner

Bryson .. can he get his form and energy back to 13/14 levels

Or Butterfield who has a bit of everything but hasn't shone in any area particularly

Or an Elsnik gamble .. but yes a Mac decision on the moment to introduce

I am not sure that you rate Hanson as highly as I do but he could do a job in that position IMO. He is quick, strong and positive.

I agree it's a tricky one. Johnson, Bryson and Butterfield all have their qualities but all have question marks over them as well. Personally I think Butterfield is the best player of the three but I'm not sure he is the best fit to go into that final place of the three because I think what we need there is someone who is a bit more dynamic and looking to break beyond the forwards, a Hendrick on a good day if you will. Maybe it could work with him there but it places a lot of reliance on your front three to produce the goods and I'm not sure we have the required quality at ST and LW to make it work. 

As you rightly guessed, I firmly rate Hanson below our other options in midfield. I just don't think he does anything that other players don't do better. He's ok cover but nothing more for me.

15 minutes ago, jono said:

Nugent .. well yes but I don't want him rushed back after that knock. If he is good to go then lets do it. If not then patience please.

Christie .. I am nervous about this with it being Leicester as I think Baird's experience defensively could be useful although Christie carries way more threat going forward and could add missing momentum.

Nugent I agree with, don't rush him back if he's carrying a knock otherwise start him. Weirdly I'm less nervous about the attacking threat of Leicester than I was from Reading or Leeds, particularly down our left. Maybe I'm deluded about it but they look quite out of form and I expect they will name a weakened side against us. I suspect if we really have a go at them, attacking from the off, there is more than a fair chance we win this. Also I'm coming at this from the view of trying to get Christie match fit for league because I expect him to get the nod over Baird sooner rather than later. 

18 hours ago, philmycock said:

"League champions twice, you'll never sing that"

17 hours ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Hoping we'll sing this on Friday that'll shut Leicester lot ?????

Both post have made it on foxestalk forum derby match day thread. Hi Leicester fans. ????

I am up for this as I think we have a genuine chance to cause an upset. We will have to be sharp but if there was ever a time to play them this is it. Add in a great local atmosphere and a good crowd from them. bring it on !

Well I fear Ranieri might see the FA Cup as his only chance to salvage an otherwise disappointing season and put out his strongest team. 

Now I know Albion put out a decent team and they were dealt with but you know what we're like, if there's a striker on a bad run, and Vardy is giving a good impression of being a flash in the pan,  we seem to be the team he rediscovers his scoring touch again kind of thing...

I just hope we give a good account of ourselves.

COYR.

58 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

Well I fear Ranieri might see the FA Cup as his only chance to salvage an otherwise disappointing season and put out his strongest team. 

Now I know Albion put out a decent team and they were dealt with but you know what we're like, if there's a striker on a bad run, and Vardy is giving a good impression of being a flash in the pan,  we seem to be the team he rediscovers his scoring touch again kind of thing...

I just hope we give a good account of ourselves.

COYR.

You'd have to suspect that the Champions League and Premier League survival both take precedence over the FA Cup?

Given their god given right to expect victory, Premier League superiority complex, and the advantage afforded by BBC bias (Gary, Manish, Steve and Robbie) on the night, they'll believe they can probably send an u16 team and still win comfortably. Expect tinkerman in full tinker mode.

Agree - they will be concentrating on climbing to midtable in the league and progression in the Champions League.

Risk of injuries, potential extra time/replay.. just to get to the next round makes me think he will play a weakened team and see what happens. 

I was happy for us to play a weakened team against West Brom; so with utterly shameless contradiction, I  hope we play full strength team and go for it. 

And that Steve Walsh is in the studio as we score in the last minute...

12 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

You'd have to suspect that the Champions League and Premier League survival both take precedence over the FA Cup?

Given their god given right to expect victory, Premier League superiority complex, and the advantage afforded by BBC bias (Gary, Manish, Steve and Robbie) on the night, they'll believe they can probably send an u16 team and still win comfortably. Expect tinkerman in full tinker mode.

You could be right WHH, I remember being wrong once, I think it was around 1978, ;) personally, I expect them to be well safe from relegation and Champions League, I don't know who they play next but I don't fancy them to go much further hence my wondering if the FA Cup could be a saving grace if you like.

13 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Agree - they will be concentrating on climbing to midtable in the league and progression in the Champions League.

Risk of injuries, potential extra time/replay.. just to get to the next round makes me think he will play a weakened team and see what happens. 

I was happy for us to play a weakened team against West Brom; so with utterly shameless contradiction, I  hope we play full strength team and go for it. 

And that Steve Walsh is in the studio as we score in the last minute...

Any news on whether John Harkes will be coming off the bench in the 89th minute so that he can redeem himself and put an end to 23 years of sleepless nights?

14 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Any news on whether John Harkes will be coming off the bench in the 89th minute so that he can redeem himself and put an end to 23 years of sleepless nights?

Sleepless nights? Never rated him and always struck me as guy who's only concern was if his tan was fading rather than caring about anything football related.

Looking at their forum I think a lot if their fans are close to throwing themselves off bridges and don't consider themselves likely to win this game. Then again some of them believed Nigel Pearson is actually a real proper football manager, who can manage a team so clearly they know nothing!:lol:

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Looking at their forum I think a lot if their fans are close to throwing themselves off bridges and don't consider themselves likely to win this game. Then again some of them believed Nigel Pearson is actually a real proper football manager, who can manage a team so clearly they know nothing!:lol:

They keep ringing up savage on 606 to say they want him back.........even Savage can see its not a good idea.

Pearson is made for the forest job though.....

Archived