Do we really need anymore signings

We're a genuine striker light at the moment, following wilson's return.

Blackman may or may not come good and so fill the gap - Mac has presumably formed his views by now? Similarly we have Vernam who may or may not be one for the future.

But either way - Mac should be looking beyond this season if possible as Bents contract is up at the end of the season so decision would be required as to whether retain or replace.

Rest I think is ok to challenge for promotion and Jan not generally a good time for snapping up bargains for the future.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For central defensive midfield (CDM) cover. I would wait until late in January to see how far along Thorne's recovery was and if he's there or thereabouts I'd let Hanson go out on loan. If Thorne is still some way off, Hanson is good cover. He should definitely start the FA Cup match.

For centre halves, we should remember we have Rawson too, whose contract runs out (IIRC) at the end of the season so if we want to keep him he'll need some playing time. But obviously promotion is more important. However, I'd have Rawson and Shackell in our FA Cup lineup.

For wingers or attacking midfielders, we also have Timi Max Elsnik. Only if we sell someone (eg Russell to Brighton for vast amounts of money) should we even consider bringing someone in.

For fullbacks, Anya is cover on both flanks and a great option as we saw against Brum. I'm not covinced by Lowe purely because he seems so brittle - he really needs to toughen up quickly. If Christie is back relatively soon, then Baird also gives us left back cover so I think we're secure.

Midfield - a goalscoring midfielder has been mentioned. Butterfield was banging them in last year but hasn't managed that this season - where are his shooting boots? But I think both he and Bryson (and Johnson) have proved themselves as prolific midfielders in this league previously, and anyone we brought in is unlikely to be better.

Striker? I would offer Fulham £3m to buy out Chris Martin's loan and bring him back. They make a profit, on top of his 7 goals to date, and we get our player back. Where else could we pay that level of money and bring in anyone as prolific who suits our team so well?

I think we've seen in the past how disruptive and damaging it can be to bring in players in January when challenging and to have too big a squad.

If we've want to go up we need a striker that scores goals. Bent and played ok but doesn't score many. Vydra is t scoring and Blackman wasn't scoring with what limited starts he had. If we can loan out Blackman or vydra this might give us room for manoeuvre for a striker. I'd get bogle with the money we get for grant. We also need a right back. I thought the man was Patterson but after his terrible unjury we will loook elsewhere. A better quality winger would help too. Sako would. E a good signing. As long as we bring in quslity over quantity we'll be ok. 

Steve has got a good eye for loan players. He has a great name as a 'coach' and we are on the up....Surely a couple of Wisdom and Ibe type loan deals would be what we need? Players we couldn't otherwise afford/attract coming and getting a promotion on their CV. 

A top striker; someone on the left and a full back all on loan (if that were possible- not sure of the rules). Only players better than we have and not on the books at the end of the season until we know where we are..

Just a small point on Vydra - even for the ten minutes he was on, on Sat, I didn't see him closing down or busting a gut. First thing he did was a ball over the top, defender running after it, Vydra about five yards back jogs after it. Defender had time to get around the ball, and clear it. Johnson then was called for a foul for climbing on their player and cue pressure on us. Had Vydra run a full speed the defender would have either gone to his GK or put it out for a throw in. Just lazy.

Camara comes on, high ball to him, challenging the defender, near touch line. Flicks it on out of play. You know what, a further 20 seconds wasted, defence/Midfield can group, brilliant effort by Camara.

There is one reason Vydra does not impress me in the slightest.

The 'twitter buzz' at the moment is that we're signing both Rhodes and Lansbury.

Now, whether you love or hate them and/or think they're perfect or a bad fit for us. They're tried and tested at this level and have some level of success.

my only issue is that the big money being spent on them, must upset the apple cart a bit, with a team who are sky rocketing up the league.

im not saying we should just by clough type signings and get a gem from League 2.

but the types of wages and fees spent on these players could poss have an effect on the morale of the current squad. 

Maybe the big question is; Can SM manage that situation well..?

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

Just a small point on Vydra - even for the ten minutes he was on, on Sat, I didn't see him closing down or busting a gut. First thing he did was a ball over the top, defender running after it, Vydra about five yards back jogs after it. Defender had time to get around the ball, and clear it. Johnson then was called for a foul for climbing on their player and cue pressure on us. Had Vydra run a full speed the defender would have either gone to his GK or put it out for a throw in. Just lazy.

Camara comes on, high ball to him, challenging the defender, near touch line. Flicks it on out of play. You know what, a further 20 seconds wasted, defence/Midfield can group, brilliant effort by Camara.

I'd argue the first thing Camara did was try and fail to beat two men 30 yds from goal, lose possession which led to a dangerous situation.

He's young and raw I hear people say, but he's older than Russell with a quarter of the experience, and it shows.

If everyone was fit I'd say nobody. 

If someo was above that was better quality than our current RB,CF and LW I'd get them even if on loan. I think we are strong everywhere else. 

CF Bent is out of contract at the end of the season. I can't see Vydra playing the role and not sure Blackman is of adequate quality though I do think he'd be tthe best of the 3 to suit that position.

RB Christies contract is up as is Bairds so RB needs sorting as unsure when Christie wil be fully fit. Bairds dog a cracking job it one bad knock and we are screwed.

LW can't outright say who's best as they all offer something different. All could be improved on.

2 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

No-one. Buy no-one , sell no-one. Keep a tight knit close squad. Promote TME, JH and FR to the bench as needed.

Mind you, we could sign Angela on a pre-contract just for shitz-n-giggles.

We'd only be able to do that within a month of his contract ending, so after the season has finished. If we really are interested, I wouldn't be surprised to see Fawaz flog him to somebody else at a relatively cheap price just so we don't have the opportunity to snatch one of their better players for nothing.

3 hours ago, rammieib said:

Is there anything else that actually impress you at all Mr Negative?

Archived