Do we really need anymore signings

Imo not a lot

GK's - Mitchell and Carson. No issues here

RB - Baird doing more than enough until Christie is fit

LB - Something of a concern as Lowe cant keep fit and we now have Olsson out for a while. I would like a loan for a couple of months from one of the big boys.

CB - We have 3 CB's vying for 2 spots

CDM - If BJ is out not sure who can step in apart from Hanson and he now looks likely to go out on loan. Maybe some back up as GT wont be fit this season.

CM - 3 in to 2. If Macca thinks Bryso can still do the business then no further strengthening required.

AWL/ AWR - Options aplenty in Camara, JR, Incey, Weimann, Anya. No more required

ST - Bent, Vydra, Blackman. All vying for 1 spot. No striker in his right mind will come unless he's guaranteed a starting birth. Imo these 3 are ample especially so as i think Blackman will come good.

A LB (unless Lowe overcomes injury's) and CDM back up will be ample.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

Imo not a lot

GK's - Mitchell and Carson. No issues here

RB - Baird doing more than enough until Christie is fit

LB - Something of a concern as Lowe cant keep fit and we now have Olsson out for a while. I would like a loan for a couple of months from one of the big boys.

CB - We have 3 CB's vying for 2 spots

CDM - If BJ is out not sure who can step in apart from Hanson and he now looks likely to go out on loan. Maybe some back up as GT wont be fit this season.

CM - 3 in to 2. If Macca thinks Bryso can still do the business then no further strengthening required.

AWL/ AWR - Options aplenty in Camara, JR, Incey, Weimann, Anya. No more required

ST - Bent, Vydra, Blackman. All vying for 1 spot. No striker in his right mind will come unless he's guaranteed a starting birth. Imo these 3 are ample especially so as i think Blackman will come good.

A LB (unless Lowe overcomes injury's) and CDM back up will be ample.

A RB too. 

We need a LB/ RB could just be one utility player good enough for both positions. But we have no cover left now. No perms just a sensible loan. Possibly a attacking loan too just to add options. I would like to see the squad thinned rather than bloated come end of Jan. 

id like to see us replace russell with someone better. I like jonny he works hard will always track back but more recently he has been rubbish. Runs a lot with very little end product. Id be happy to get someone better in or just loan someone better

same with a RB/LB look for a better RB than christie and loan a LB until the rest are fit 

If we sign players then make sure their players who are significantly better than what we have. Don't need journeymen, don't need utilities etc. See the thread on ex Derby players to see what happens when you sign mediocre players.

RB, attacking left wing, striker and a goal scoring midfielder could all improve this team for me.

Better left winger and forward if we want to go up. Russell and Bent are decent team players but we need to upgrade if we want to get to the next level. If we are lucky enough to get into the play offs, I can't help but feel teams will put one man on Ince like Hull did which will have the effect of making our attacking threat non existent. Having a better front man and left winger will give more space to the likes of Ince too, which is why he did so well for Blackpool as they had Matty Phillips on the other wing to stretch the game.

32 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

id like to see us replace russell with someone better. I like jonny he works hard will always track back but more recently he has been rubbish. Runs a lot with very little end product. Id be happy to get someone better in or just loan someone better

Whilst I don't disagree with possible improvements to the squad, I have to take exception with your comment about Johnny Russell "more recently he has been rubbish". This is just not the case. In the Birmingham game virtually all of our chances were created by him. You should not dismiss him just because he doesn't have the glamorous skills of Hughes or Ince. He contributes to the team performance in other valuable ways. I thought it particularly telling that Steve Mac singled him out for special praise - he obviously appreciates him too.

2 minutes ago, OohMartWright said:

Whilst I don't disagree with possible improvements to the squad, I have to take exception with your comment about Johnny Russell "more recently he has been rubbish". This is just not the case. In the Birmingham game virtually all of our chances were created by him. You should not dismiss him just because he doesn't have the glamorous skills of Hughes or Ince. He contributes to the team performance in other valuable ways. I thought it particularly telling that Steve Mac singled him out for special praise - he obviously appreciates him too.

And he also played a part for Ince goal at Fulham hardly rubbish lol, people need to pay attention properly. 

It's a weird one. Do we sign to improve what we have or do we sign to transform back into the team we once were? Is it possible to do both at the same time? 

McClaren's job when he first game back was to produce the football again. Has our run of form changed that? 

Should be a relatively interesting month. 

If there is better out there then maybe but very unlikely in January but bent is unlikely to last the season could Blackman do it? So far that is unlikely but who knows? 

Will christie be sold if he doesn't sign a new contract? Maybe based on pure economics then we may need someone in?

my main area of concern is the centre forward role not just scoring but holding the ball and releasing others if we had Martin or better then great but we don't currently and the team have done well getting us through to this point

In the grand plan of things the squad we have is working. Cover has stepped in seamlessly whenever we have had an injury.

We aren't desperate anywhere. where we are now, as a top half ambitious champ club, we do have what we need. The thing is what do we need to take us one step forward.

Bent is doing a fine job but may only have a year or two in him at this level. Vydra hasn't fitted in yet (I believe he will or at least could ) I hope Blackman can produce something if given the chance but I am unconvinced. Our goals for even allowing for the Pearson situation isn't good enough. 

We also don't really have someone who could do Hughes role and Butters is still learning. So for me - to lift us in an overall ability/durability ranking we need to be thinking longer term about creative AM and a striker.

Our "flank backs" might seem to be an area of need but looking sensibly we have Olson, Fozzie, Christie, Anya, Baird and Lowe   

10 minutes ago, TelTheRam said:

With Christie, Fozzy, Lowe and now Olson out I think we need 3 backs.

Left back,

Right back and .............

Martin back.

Olsson only out for two weeks. So I don't really think we need another one tbf. 

Archived