Henri Lansbury - Signed for Aston Villa

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Have to throughly agree with this, I've been massively dissapointed with the lack of ambition in our signings so far this window, not knocking de sart and Nugent who I think will do good jobs- but neither are improvements on the starting 11 which is what we need more than anything. I'm hoping that we'll still pull a few more good signings out the bag, but at the moment I'm concerned we won't and it'll be yet another January where we let our challengers get ahead of us in the market and they improve their teams, while we stand still.

We clearly need improvements to our team if we're going to have any chance this season, but this window has felt very unambitious and like we're giving up on this season and building for next, even when we still have a chance 

They aren't supposed to be improvements; they're supposed to fit into a team that dominates possession. 

What's wrong with building towards next season?

This team is capable of producing results but has shown little in the way of performances… which is exactly what we don't want again.

Have some patience fer feck sake. 

50 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Have to throughly agree with this, I've been massively dissapointed with the lack of ambition in our signings so far this window, not knocking de sart and Nugent who I think will do good jobs- but neither are improvements on the starting 11 which is what we need more than anything. I'm hoping that we'll still pull a few more good signings out the bag, but at the moment I'm concerned we won't and it'll be yet another January where we let our challengers get ahead of us in the market and they improve their teams, while we stand still.

We clearly need improvements to our team if we're going to have any chance this season, but this window has felt very unambitious and like we're giving up on this season and building for next, even when we still have a chance 

I actually think the two signings we've made are probably the most crucial we needed to make. We desperately needed to either bring Martin or bring in a player who was a better link up player than Bent or Vydra. Nugent is a sensible choice in that regard because he was cheap and has a good track record, plus his nose won't be too put out if he finds himself second choice behind Martin if/when Martin comes back. We were also in dire need of cover/competition at DM, particularly someone who genuinely accustomed to the role and can act as a deep playmaker. Johnson has been doing a good job but is limited ability on the ball severely restricts our play, plus if he got injured we'd have to rely on Hanson to cover which is not a great position to be in. Getting a loan is a smart move because we've got Thorne to come back eventually who, if he gets fully fit, is the best DM in the league. The two signings were also the easiest two to make, any player we buy now has to be a genuine improvement on our best possible 11 thus we need to be more picky because of the more significant price tag attached to them.

Plus the last time I checked it's 20/1/17, we still have plenty of time to bring in a quality player or two.

1 minute ago, cannable said:

They aren't supposed to be improvements; they're supposed to fit into a team that dominates possession. 

What's wrong with building towards next season?

This team is capable of producing results but has shown little in the way of performances… which is exactly what we don't want again.

Have some patience fer feck sake. 

I'm not saying they aren't good signings, and neither am I saying they weren't needed to fill in places within the squad- I think Nugent and de sart have filled voids in the squad well. However it's just not enough imo, more players are needed that are genuinely good enough for our starting 11 if we're going to challenge. We've bought too many players recently who aren't good enough to get in the team, and therefore don't get any playing time so our team has remained stationary while others teams have gotten better

I don't have any problem with building the squad for a better challenge next year, but how many times can we keep doing this, it just seems ridiculous to give up now when we're so close- we're just a couple of real quality signings away from being able to go up this year imo

Youe third point is exactly what I'm trying to say, in order to get consistently good results, we need consistently good performances and sadly I don't think this squad is good enough to achieve that. I remain hopeful but not convinced of further improvements before the deadline however

8 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I actually think the two signings we've made are probably the most crucial we needed to make. We desperately needed to either bring Martin or bring in a player who was a better link up player than Bent or Vydra. Nugent is a sensible choice in that regard because he was cheap and has a good track record, plus his nose won't be too put out if he finds himself second choice behind Martin if/when Martin comes back. We were also in dire need of cover/competition at DM, particularly someone who genuinely accustomed to the role and can act as a deep playmaker. Johnson has been doing a good job but is limited ability on the ball severely restricts our play, plus if he got injured we'd have to rely on Hanson to cover which is not a great position to be in. Getting a loan is a smart move because we've got Thorne to come back eventually who, if he gets fully fit, is the best DM in the league. The two signings were also the easiest two to make, any player we buy now has to be a genuine improvement on our best possible 11 thus we need to be more picky because of the more significant price tag attached to them.

Plus the last time I checked it's 20/1/17, we still have plenty of time to bring in a quality player or two.

I'm not arguing with any of what you've wrote there, I am happy with the 2 signings we've made so far- but their roles IMO aren't in the regular first team, which we also now need to improve if we're going to be successful. Like you say there's still time, but mcclarens comments yesterday concern me that we've given up in the transfer market- hopefully not but it does make me fearful 

8 hours ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

So somebody who has out tackled, out scored, made more assists and out performed our midfield isn't better than Bryson and Butterfield? I come on really, they've both been well below average this season, if you can't see that you're blind.

Ignore him, every player in our team is perfect according to him and you're not even allowed to have an opinion different to him without being called a troll

37 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Ignore him, every player in our team is perfect according to him and you're not even allowed to have an opinion different to him without being called a troll

Someone delete this please, I regret posting this now in terms of being as blunt and harsh. @Alpha since you're online. Being going through a tough time with it recently in my personal life but the worst is hopefully over but that's no excuse .Sorry @eddie no hard feelings

19 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Someone delete this please, I regret posting this now in terms of being as blunt and harsh. @Alpha since you're online. Being going through a tough time with it recently in my personal life but the worst is hopefully over but that's no excuse .Sorry @eddie no hard feelings

Get yourself in the anxiety and depression thread mate. 

Spill it out. Honestly fella, it can either help or not help at all. Nothing bad comes from it

12 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Get yourself in the anxiety and depression thread mate. 

Spill it out. Honestly fella, it can either help or not help at all. Nothing bad comes from it

Thanks for your concern. Yeah posted in that before , Mostyn helped a lot. Just the last few weeks have caught up with me in my personal life(nothing too serious). Think I'm through the worst of it now though, today was the worst. Usually I just ignore witty posts as you know as I know it's all in good humour. I do need a holiday though just to unwind from everything but don't we all!  :lol:

On 20/1/2017 at 03:52, David said:

Ambitious and Sage mentioned him in August to be fair, little was said about him since, Bris in December highlighted him as a player we need then 2 days later he was on McLovin's shopping list.  

January 1st Sage said he would rather have Hourihane in the Lansbury thread and that was it, everyone jumped aboard the hype train. Choo Choo

Basically I blame @sage for all this.

I had Hourihane in my Championship best XI around October time too I believe.

On 20/01/2017 at 21:55, McLovin said:

No worries.

On 1/20/2017 at 16:18, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Hey! I never said Johnson was better than Thorne. But during his purple patch, he was. He lacks consistency. 

Thorne at his best is way better than Johnson at his best at DCM. Different gravy.

Archived