Henri Lansbury - Signed for Aston Villa

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

I don't think some people understand the logistics that go into running a football club. Some of the posts on here are embarrassing, to be honest, and some people really have developed traits better known for being those of a 5 year old child. "We want we get".

I saw a tweet this morning that made me laugh. Went along the lines of "we're not going to win tomorrow, we are  desperately in need of signings ASAP". Have you seen the players we have at the club currently? We have some brilliant quality. We just won 9/10 in a row FFS. Yes, we got battered at Leeds but we had half a side out. We've now, all but got the same 11 that went on that run fit for Reading, why do we need to unsettle that side and throw even more money at players? It isn't all about just signing players for the sake on it. Yes, maybe we could do we a real bit of quality out wide, but how easy is it to find? I'm seeing people demanding we sign the fella from Wigan, he has 6 goals in 40 games for them! Why is he any better than Russell or Anya? I also saw some berate the Nugent signing after the Leeds defeat because he "blatantly" doesn't fit McClaren's system. I wonder who knows more about McClaren's system, McClaren or some Twitter pest. 

I don't get this whole love affair with Hourihane either. He's going for a million and there's zero Premier interest. Why? How many times have the people who dribble over him seen him play? Yes, he's had a great season and good on the guy, but he isn't the messiah, just as Butterfield wasn't when he had a brilliant goals + assist record. Same goes for Bogle of League 2 Grimsby. All I ever see is this guys name... Christ....

I love it how our club suddenly has "problems". Where were the mentions of these problems after winning 10 games in a row? Mel literally can't win with some of the folk who post on here.

Take a bow SDSR ?????

5 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Luck? We beat Wigan and QPR because we had the quality of Ince to break them down. They were even, scrappy games against struggling sides. They're not going to set up to let us dictate everything, are they?

As for the other results, I agree with some and disagree with others. We were definitely the better side against Leeds and I think we deserved the win against Wednesday. Dominating the ball isn't all about being the better side. Ask Burnley fans, because I really don't think Dyche (who is the highest positioned English manager in the game), really cares about it to be honest. 

Johnson was better in the DM role during our purple patch than Thorne ever has been currently, but that's my opinion. Johnson was DM against Wigan (we didn't concede) and only second half at Leeds (we didn't concede, although very fortunate not to), so I'm failing to see your point on that part. McClaren has been waxing lyrical about Johnson's performances in the DM role continuously since he's arrived... As for him not having the passing ability that Thorne has, that's true, but Thorne doesn't have the aerial ability nor physical attributes that Johnson has. 

Personally, I feel the only area in which we have been lacking in this system is a striker. Bent does a job, but he's not influential enough for me. Will Nugent or even Vydra make it their own? Who knows. McClaren signed Nugent for a reason. 

I disagree with a lot of this, but that's your opinion. :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I disagree with a lot of this, but that's your opinion. :thumbsup:

We'll have to agree to disagree buddy. My opinion is worth no more than yours! We both have different ideas moving forward so we'll have to see which approach we take. At the end of the day, we both want what's best for the club. 

You post a lot of sense on this forum and were one of, if not the only to critique Pearson early on (I completely disagreed with you!), so keep posting it bud, because I do enjoy reading it :)

6 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Luck? We beat Wigan and QPR because we had the quality of Ince to break them down. They were even, scrappy games against struggling sides. They're not going to set up to let us dictate everything, are they?

As for the other results, I agree with some and disagree with others. We were definitely the better side against Leeds and I think we deserved the win against Wednesday. Dominating the ball isn't all about being the better side. Ask Burnley fans, because I really don't think Dyche (who is the highest positioned English manager in the game), really cares about it to be honest. 

Johnson was better in the DM role during our purple patch than Thorne ever has been currently, but that's my opinion. Johnson was DM against Wigan (we didn't concede) and only second half at Leeds (we didn't concede, although very fortunate not to), so I'm failing to see your point on that part. McClaren has been waxing lyrical about Johnson's performances in the DM role continuously since he's arrived... As for him not having the passing ability that Thorne has, that's true, but Thorne doesn't have the aerial ability nor physical attributes that Johnson has. 

Personally, I feel the only area in which we have been lacking in this system is a striker. Bent does a job, but he's not influential enough for me. Will Nugent or even Vydra make it their own? Who knows. McClaren signed Nugent for a reason. 

It's great that we've got someone like Ince that can bail us out from a bad performance, the problem is that we're having too many games where he's having to do it.  Someone bailing you out when you play badly needs to be something that kicks you on a level, not something you build your season around.  We aren't playing well enough in enough games at the moment to be serious promotion contenders.

Johnson has done well, but I don't remotely agree that he's been better than Thorne.  Johnson does the defensive side of the game fairly well, but he seriously hampers our tempo - he's just not good enough on the ball, too many touches, too many misplaced simple passes.  For all McClaren's praise, it's telling that his first signing this January was a Thorne-style holding midfielder.

I agree that the only major need (assuming De Sart can replicate his form against West Brom, not his Leeds form) is a striker that can hold the ball up.  That might turn out to be Nugent, it might (hopefully) be Martin back, or it might be someone else.  Beyond that, another box-to box midfielder (to replace Hendrick) would be nice, and maybe a big physical winger, but we don't need massive surgery.

2 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

It's great that we've got someone like Ince that can bail us out from a bad performance, the problem is that we're having too many games where he's having to do it.  Someone bailing you out when you play badly needs to be something that kicks you on a level, not something you build your season around.  We aren't playing well enough in enough games at the moment to be serious promotion contenders.

Johnson has done well, but I don't remotely agree that he's been better than Thorne.  Johnson does the defensive side of the game fairly well, but he seriously hampers our tempo - he's just not good enough on the ball, too many touches, too many misplaced simple passes.  For all McClaren's praise, it's telling that his first signing this January was a Thorne-style holding midfielder.

I agree that the only major need (assuming De Sart can replicate his form against West Brom, not his Leeds form) is a striker that can hold the ball up.  That might turn out to be Nugent, it might (hopefully) be Martin back, or it might be someone else.  Beyond that, another box-to box midfielder (to replace Hendrick) would be nice, and maybe a big physical winger, but we don't need massive surgery.

Hey! I never said Johnson was better than Thorne. But during his purple patch, he was. He lacks consistency. 

1 minute ago, duncanjwitham said:

Was just about to say almost exactly this. I'd like to add that with Johnson as DM it impacts how the other two midfielders have to play, they both have to take a lot more responsibility  in coming deep and getting the ball. Whereas with a player like Thorne there they can focus on finding space in advance positions with the knowledge that Thorne can take care of himself on the ball and will find a Derby player.

Just now, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Hey! I never said Johnson was better than Thorne. But during his purple patch, he was. He lacks consistency. 

"Johnson was better in the DM role during our purple patch than Thorne ever has been currently" :ermm:

Even during his purple patch, I don't think Johnson was as good as Thorne at his best, or even Thorne at his normal standard when he's fully fit (yeah, I know, etc etc...).  No doubt Johnson does some things that Thorne can't do, but overall it's not close for me.  Thorne just suits the way we want to play so well.

1 minute ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

You are more than entitled to that opinion. Whilst I thought Johnson was excellent during that run, I'd have dropped him for a fully fit Thorne without ever thinking twice about it. The impact Johnson has on our teamplay on the ball is substantial and is a major reason why we've been ineffectual going forward (The big reason being the lack of striker who has good linkup play).

5 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Yeh gotta say I disagree there... Thorne was IMMENSE when he was on loan... THAT Forest game and then the rest of that season he bossed the midfield...

2 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

He was good. But not as influential as Johnson was during our run recently. But Thorne is the ideal player for that role. 

Ah when you phrase it like that I think I somewhat agree with you. I'm not sure what we'd have done without Johnson stepping and doing well as a DM, it's highly likely we wouldn't have charged up the table. Whereas when Thorne came into the side in 13/14 whilst making us significantly better he was taking over from the competent Eustace and we'd have probably still finished in the playoffs had Thorne not come on loan. 

It seems to be the same people rejecting Hourihane that are craving us to 'take a punt' and seek out players with hunger at a lower price tag. I'm happy to admit I've seen very little of Hourihane but he's clearly had a successful season and £1 million seems more than reasonable for an in-form player, topping Championship stats.

If you're waiting for EPL interest, then you're waiting on an inflated price tag. 

Not that fussed about Lansbury, but the midfield needs some major creativity adding in there.

With the exception of Hughes, nobody has got anything in the locker to create something (out of nothing) with the ball. The strikers won't score without someone to pick out a pass, nobody seems to do it anymore.

Bryson is never going to hit the form of 13/14, he's been anonymous every time he's been given the opportunity this season. I haven't a clue what Mcclaren see's in him in 2017 - headless chicken living off a reputation from three seasons go. Should have gone to Burnley, has he's not been the same player since signing that ridiculous 5 year contract :whistle:

I was excited seeing who'd come In this window especially after the Norwich display, but it's looking like a major let down. Sides above us like Wednesday are still looking at Rhodes and have bidded for Hourihane. Reading just signed Llori and Huddersfield have today signed another striker from Germany. There's still massive room for improvement and quality around to be snapped up. It surely comes down to our spending spree under Clement and us being on the borderline with FFP, that's my only assumption to us being so reluctant to bring in anyone. 

DeSart and Nugent seem like very cheap options to me, both aren't going to give us much improvement on what we have here.

55 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Not that fussed about Lansbury, but the midfield needs some major creativity adding in there.

With the exception of Hughes, nobody has got anything in the locker to create something (out of nothing) with the ball. The strikers won't score without someone to pick out a pass, nobody seems to do it anymore.

The problem is is that Martin was our main creative outlet. What the midfield needs is a runner BUT it also needs a creative centre-forward to bring him into the game as well.

Bryson is never going to hit the form of 13/14, he's been anonymous every time he's been given the opportunity this season. I haven't a clue what Mcclaren see's in him in 2017 - headless chicken living off a reputation from three seasons go. Should have gone to Burnley, has he's not been the same player since signing that ridiculous 5 year contract :whistle:

Bryson no longer has his main foils in Thorne, Dawks, Martin and too an extent Fozzy. He makes the same runs now as he did then but he no longer has the footballers around him to pick thirst runs out and get him in behind. The team we've become now just doesn't suit him, as Burnley wouldn't have done.

Nothing to do with the contract; I believe he's gone on record as to saying that he was asked to be more restrained in 14/15, 15/16 was a write off until the run-in when he did look like the Bryson of old. As aforementioned Mac 2 hasn't really suited him.

I was excited seeing who'd come In this window especially after the Norwich display, but it's looking like a major let down. Sides above us like Wednesday are still looking at Rhodes and have bidded for Hourihane. Reading just signed Llori and Huddersfield have today signed another striker from Germany. There's still massive room for improvement and quality around to be snapped up. It surely comes down to our spending spree under Clement and us being on the borderline with FFP, that's my only assumption to us being so reluctant to bring in anyone. 

DeSart and Nugent seem like very cheap options to me, both aren't going to give us much improvement on what we have here.

Nugent and De Sart seem like smart signings to me who will help turn us into the Derby of old. No need to start spunking dollar up the wall - that's what got us in this mess in the first place.

Butterfield, Bryson and Johnson have racked up Hourihane style records for goals, assists, chances created etc previously in the Championship. In fact, they've performed well regularly at the level, some for more than one club. Didn't Johnson score 14 the other year and Butters 9 last season? 

Im not knocking this Hourihane lad. But he's nearly 26. And as others say, only Villa and Wednesday have apparently put meagre bids in. I'm guessing Barnsley are skint? But if he was so good, why aren't bigger or more clubs in for him? 

Most on here believe Hughes is our best player and his statistics are Sunday league compared to all of the above. And Lansbury, to keep on topic. 

My issue with our side and it's not a big one, is up front. We miss Martin. Butterfield especially. And Bryson. But w still are in with a shot of top six. Nugent is no mug. 

1 hour ago, Papahet said:

Have to throughly agree with this, I've been massively dissapointed with the lack of ambition in our signings so far this window, not knocking de sart and Nugent who I think will do good jobs- but neither are improvements on the starting 11 which is what we need more than anything. I'm hoping that we'll still pull a few more good signings out the bag, but at the moment I'm concerned we won't and it'll be yet another January where we let our challengers get ahead of us in the market and they improve their teams, while we stand still.

We clearly need improvements to our team if we're going to have any chance this season, but this window has felt very unambitious and like we're giving up on this season and building for next, even when we still have a chance 

2 hours ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

FYI I'm not slating Hourihane. He's clearly got talent. But I haven't seen him much, and neither has anyone on this forum. If he was "the best midfielder in the league", a Prem side would have signed him for £1m. 

I'm not one of those salivating over Hourihane but has to be said, absolutely worth a gamble for £1m tbf. No idea what he's asking for in wages though, that could be a factor

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Have to throughly agree with this, I've been massively dissapointed with the lack of ambition in our signings so far this window, not knocking de sart and Nugent who I think will do good jobs- but neither are improvements on the starting 11 which is what we need more than anything. I'm hoping that we'll still pull a few more good signings out the bag, but at the moment I'm concerned we won't and it'll be yet another January where we let our challengers get ahead of us in the market and they improve their teams, while we stand still.

We clearly need improvements to our team if we're going to have any chance this season, but this window has felt very unambitious and like we're giving up on this season and building for next, even when we still have a chance 

I think we have spent quite a lot on average players in recent transfer windows,what we need is the right players and they are not openly available and the two signings this window of de start and nugent are fine as de sart is cover for the DMD and nugent a very experienced forward who will take over from Bent certainly next season. What we really needed was our centre forward back or a replacement of similar style and I could only think of Wayne Rooney who would have been better and Danny graham as someone not quite as good.

Archived