Henri Lansbury - Signed for Aston Villa

DcFc Dyycheee

13 minutes ago, eddie said:

Then every other scout and manager in the Championship and the Premier League is too, because I did ask, quite clearly in plain English, why are Villa the only club seemingly chasing such an incredible player at such a bargain price.

You chose the ad hominem response - which says far more about you than it does about my myopia.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was kinda hoping that whilst all this Lansbury stuff was going on in the open we'd just announce Hourihane one day out the blue. Doesn't look like that's gonna happen.

it is strange though that the only targets we come out and openly say we want are the ones we don't get.  Nor do we seem to fight for there signature. 

4 hours ago, eddie said:

Angers you?

Get a fecking grip.

It does anger me because the recruitment has been shambolic for a few years.Don't let being a Derby fan cloud your judgement. If Forest's recruitment was of a similar nature, we'd never stop laughing and talking about it. Every Man and his dog can see where we need do strengthen but the men behind the scenes have done nothing about it. I'd love to see who they have on their transfer targets document because it appears to me that they are clueless. 

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Finally, the one man who had any clue about what he was doing(Rob Mackenzie) is no longer at the club. Rant over.

The guy that found us the hidden gem Miroslav Klose who retired 6 months later?

I don't think some people understand the logistics that go into running a football club. Some of the posts on here are embarrassing, to be honest, and some people really have developed traits better known for being those of a 5 year old child. "We want we get".

I saw a tweet this morning that made me laugh. Went along the lines of "we're not going to win tomorrow, we are  desperately in need of signings ASAP". Have you seen the players we have at the club currently? We have some brilliant quality. We just won 9/10 in a row FFS. Yes, we got battered at Leeds but we had half a side out. We've now, all but got the same 11 that went on that run fit for Reading, why do we need to unsettle that side and throw even more money at players? It isn't all about just signing players for the sake on it. Yes, maybe we could do we a real bit of quality out wide, but how easy is it to find? I'm seeing people demanding we sign the fella from Wigan, he has 6 goals in 40 games for them! Why is he any better than Russell or Anya? I also saw some berate the Nugent signing after the Leeds defeat because he "blatantly" doesn't fit McClaren's system. I wonder who knows more about McClaren's system, McClaren or some Twitter pest. 

I don't get this whole love affair with Hourihane either. He's going for a million and there's zero Premier interest. Why? How many times have the people who dribble over him seen him play? Yes, he's had a great season and good on the guy, but he isn't the messiah, just as Butterfield wasn't when he had a brilliant goals + assist record. Same goes for Bogle of League 2 Grimsby. All I ever see is this guys name... Christ....

I love it how our club suddenly has "problems". Where were the mentions of these problems after winning 10 games in a row? Mel literally can't win with some of the folk who post on here.

9 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

I don't think some people understand the logistics that go into running a football club. Some of the posts on here are embarrassing, to be honest, and some people really have developed traits better known for being those of a 5 year old child. "We want we get".

I saw a tweet this morning that made me laugh. Went along the lines of "we're not going to win tomorrow, we are  desperately in need of signings ASAP". Have you seen the players we have at the club currently? We have some brilliant quality. We just won 9/10 in a row FFS. Yes, we got battered at Leeds but we had half a side out. We've now, all but got the same 11 that went on that run fit for Reading, why do we need to unsettle that side and throw even more money at players? It isn't all about just signing players for the sake on it. Yes, maybe we could do we a real bit of quality out wide, but how easy is it to find? I'm seeing people demanding we sign the fella from Wigan, he has 6 goals in 40 games for them! Why is he any better than Russell or Anya? I also saw some berate the Nugent signing after the Leeds defeat because he "blatantly" doesn't fit McClaren's system. I wonder who knows more about McClaren's system, McClaren or some Twitter pest. 

I don't get this whole love affair with Hourihane either. He's going for a million and there's zero Premier interest. Why? How many times have the people who dribble over him seen him play? Yes, he's had a great season and good on the guy, but he isn't the messiah, just as Butterfield wasn't when he had a brilliant goals + assist record. Same goes for Bogle of League 2 Grimsby. All I ever see is this guys name... Christ....

I love it how our club suddenly has "problems". Where were the mentions of these problems after winning 10 games in a row? Mel literally can't win with some of the folk who post on here.

Do you feel a little calmer now mate? :D

8 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

We may have 'brilliant quality' at the club as you say, but that means little if a number of those players don't fit into the system that you want to play.

A decent Championship player who fits into the system is a better player for Derby than a brilliant Championship player who doesn't. Shefti Kuqi > Matej Vydra.

The whole love affair with Hourihane is largely due to him being  a player who plays as an attack-minded midfielder, and one who is arguably the most creative player at present in the Championship.

It doesn't take a genius to work out that we're desperately missing an attacking midfielder. Our best current trio of Johnson, Hughes and Butterfield has two linking midfielders doing the same job.

The run of seven games won on the trot papered over a lot of cracks. We were extremely fortunate to beat QPR and Wigan, were dominated at Fulham, fortunate to beat both Leeds and Sheff Wed.

In fact, since Mac has been back, we've only really dominated Wolves (first half) Forest and Rotherham. Mac has done brilliantly so far with such an unbalanced squad and the array of injuries.

To play our system, to play it to its potential, we need 11 round pegs in round holes. Aside from Carson, Pearce, Keogh, Hughes and Ince, I'm unconvinced the other current six players are good enough for where we want to go.

Bradley Johnson isn't a natural DM and lacks the passing ability of Thorne, we miss our attacking fullbcks, our midfield is unbalanced and for the billionth time Bent and Vydra can't play that lone forward role anywhere near as good as a Martin, Kermorgant, Glenn Murray and even Chris Wood.

32 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

In general I agree with you here @SuperDerbySuperRams. There are plenty of people over reacting towards the performance of Leeds and the perceived lack of activity in the market. However I do think there were quite a number of problems with the squad going into the transfer window, and I thought that throughout the excellent unbeaten run. Let be clear when I say problems I mean 'Fix these few issues and we can really be a force towards the top end of the championship' and not 'We're crap buy a new squad'. We've addressed a couple of those problems already in bringing in Nugent (who I'm hoping will prove a better link-up player than Bent and Vydra) and a ball-playing defensive midfielder.

I'm confident that McClaren/recruitment staff are still working hard to add quality in key positions and I appreciate that it will take time to do, it might not even happen till summer. I'd rather us take our a time and make sure we get the right player though, we've made too many signings in our recent history who don't fit how we want to play or are no improvement on what we already have. 

Regarding Hourihane, I do think he would have been a good acquisition. His record for the past few seasons is genuinely fantastic and I believe we could do with another attacking midfielder to take Hendrick's still vacant spot in the squad. However if we don't sign him, we don't sign him. We are not privy to the ins and outs of transfer negotiations so we should be careful speculating on we couldn't sign X player. Perhaps Hourihane wanted a colossal wage packet and we weren't ever willing to offer him that, who knows. I'm sure that across the leagues home and abroad there will be plenty of players we could sign to fulfill that role in midfield, we just need to be patient whilst the club tries to find them.

6 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

We may have 'brilliant quality' at the club as you say, but that means little if a number of those players don't fit into the system that you want to play.

A decent Championship player who fits into the system is a better player for Derby than a brilliant Championship player who doesn't. Shefti Kuqi > Matej Vydra.

The whole love affair with Hourihane is largely due to him being  a player who plays as an attack-minded midfielder, and one who is arguably the most creative player at present in the Championship.

It doesn't take a genius to work out that we're desperately missing an attacking midfielder. Our best current trio of Johnson, Hughes and Butterfield has two linking midfielders doing the same job.

The run of seven games won on the trot papered over a lot of cracks. We were extremely fortunate to beat QPR and Wigan, were dominated at Fulham, fortunate to beat both Leeds and Sheff Wed.

In fact, since Mac has been back, we've only really dominated Wolves (first half) Forest and Rotherham. Mac has done brilliantly so far with such an unbalanced squad and the array of injuries.

To play our system, to play it to its potential, we need 11 round pegs in round holes. Aside from Carson, Pearce, Keogh, Hughes and Ince, I'm unconvinced the other current six players are good enough for where we want to go.

Bradley Johnson isn't a natural DM and lacks the passing ability of Thorne, we miss our attacking fullbcks, our midfield is unbalanced and for the billionth time Bent and Vydra can't play that lone forward role anywhere near as good as a Martin, Kermorgant, Glenn Murray and even Chris Wood.

I agree with you completely but I feel @SuperDerbySuperRams's post is far more targeted at the people who have been far more reactionary after the leeds defeat and the perceived failure to sign Lansbury, and are screaming bloody murder to buy new players. From reading your posts recently I feel you fall far more into the camp of 'We're doing alright but we could better. We need to give McClaren time to fix the issues present and it'll probably take more than just January.'

10 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

No Bris... No... Please don't tell me you were part of the Kuqi appreciation club too? He was a giant lump...

11 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

This years Nick Blackman? He isn't that popular anymore...

4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Luck? We beat Wigan and QPR because we had the quality of Ince to break them down. They were even, scrappy games against struggling sides. They're not going to set up to let us dictate everything, are they?

As for the other results, I agree with some and disagree with others. We were definitely the better side against Leeds and I think we deserved the win against Wednesday. Dominating the ball isn't all about being the better side. Ask Burnley fans, because I really don't think Dyche (who is the highest positioned English manager in the game), really cares about it to be honest. 

Johnson was better in the DM role during our purple patch than Thorne ever has been currently, but that's my opinion. Johnson was DM against Wigan (we didn't concede) and only second half at Leeds (we didn't concede, although very fortunate not to), so I'm failing to see your point on that part. McClaren has been waxing lyrical about Johnson's performances in the DM role continuously since he's arrived... As for him not having the passing ability that Thorne has, that's true, but Thorne doesn't have the aerial ability nor physical attributes that Johnson has. 

Personally, I feel the only area in which we have been lacking in this system is a striker. Bent does a job, but he's not influential enough for me. Will Nugent or even Vydra make it their own? Who knows. McClaren signed Nugent for a reason. 

Archived