Clough and Burton

Ramz64

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

Lol. did they. Jeeze. My memory is going. 

How did we get on yesterday?

Very well. Half-price beer and pie.

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, eddie said:

Very well. Half-price beer and pie.

It must have been good.

I've since bought my ticket for rotherham away. 

Just now, RamNut said:

It must have been good.

I've since bought my ticket for rotherham away. 

Beer and a pie in the Bridge Inn before the game?

On 4/23/2017 at 01:05, sunnyhill60 said:

What you don't mention is that since he got sacked we've been in the play-offs twice, been to Wembley, won a hell of a lot of football matches and seen some entertaining football.

Nigel is far better suited to the plucky little Burton role with avoiding relegation the only necessary achievement

And spent how much money?  And increased the debt by how much?

9 hours ago, RamNut said:

A bit over-hyped for me.

you could argue that they've been slightly fortunate to have had a season with some very poor championship sides in Wigan blackburn and Rotherham, whilst Birmingham also imploded.

They've got 52 points. We've survived on 49 before.

A win on Saturday and they'll have a points total that's never seen a team go down.

I've no feelings for Burton one way or another but there's no getting away from the fact that they've exceeded virtually everyone's expectations and full marks to NC and his staff.

Would I have him back at Derby or any regrets about him leaving - no, definitely not, despite our disappointments over the last 3 seasons.

Looking at some of the posts in this thread it seems that even praise for NC has to be mingled with the odd bitch slap or patronising comment.

Without detracting from the SM/Simmo shot in the arm, I think NC would have got us to the play offs in 13/14 with that team he’d built. Speculative I know, but If he’d subsequently had MM’s backing then I also think he’d have strengthened the 13/14 squad in the right way and we might be in the PL by now.

If he’d not been sacked back in 2013 I’m fairly certain he’d have us doing better than we are now – a now where most fans have serious concerns about the squad (bloated, incoherent, a bit of a mess) and there’s a general feeling that we need to press the restart button.

11 hours ago, eddie said:

Beer and a pie in the Bridge Inn before the game?

i definately would fancy that.....if i spot a Father Jack somewhere I'll certainly say hello.

10 hours ago, RamNut said:

i definately would fancy that.....if i spot a Father Jack somewhere I'll certainly say hello.

I'm told it may not be open, so you're more likely to see a Father Jack figure walking around forlornly crying DRINK!!!

1 hour ago, Mikeyboy1963 said:

Really? 

With all Mel's money spunked all over? 

He hasn't saddled the club with any debt.

11 hours ago, ramesses said:

Looking at some of the posts in this thread it seems that even praise for NC has to be mingled with the odd bitch slap or patronising comment.

Without detracting from the SM/Simmo shot in the arm, I think NC would have got us to the play offs in 13/14 with that team he’d built. Speculative I know, but If he’d subsequently had MM’s backing then I also think he’d have strengthened the 13/14 squad in the right way and we might be in the PL by now.

If he’d not been sacked back in 2013 I’m fairly certain he’d have us doing better than we are now – a now where most fans have serious concerns about the squad (bloated, incoherent, a bit of a mess) and there’s a general feeling that we need to press the restart button.

Based on what?

It's one individuals opinion which is fine - nothing more, nothing less.

I said a couple of year ago that Nigel is a mid-table man in any division. I reckon he could probably have kept Sunderland up in the PL.

He's got the ability to throw winnable games, but win games he shouldn't even be competitive in.

It's an achievement in some people's eyes, keeping Burton up, as I reckon many others would have failed. BUT, I fully expected it.

Be interesting what's next for Burton, I'm not a Clough fan but he's done a great job keeping them up, huge credit where huge credits due.

What's the next step? Is the money there to invest a little more to try and stay in the league a little earlier?

I would guess they may look to cash in on Irvine and use the funds to strengthen, am I right in saying the owner hasn't been that impressed with attendances which is a shame as they could do with all the money they can.

It's not being disrespectful to say both Sheff Utd and Bolton coming up are much more attractive clubs to join and won't be looking to just stay in the Championship.

Will be tough next season, even though it was supposed to be this season.

19 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

The debt is lower now than when the non-league magician was in charge - please keep up!

So all the £100 million or so that Mel Morris has put into the club has been turned into equity has it? 

If so, that is genuinely very generous, Jack Walkeresque and I tip my hat.  Very few successful businessmen give their money away like that.

If not then it isn't. 

If Clough can keep signing shrewdly, I don't see why not. Finding those sorts of characters consistently will be difficult, and as David said, making sure they sign for him and not A.N Other will be another thing.

He's shown to be very capable at this though, so who knows.

I don't think extra ticket money will make all that much difference in the Championship, unless you're getting an extra 5000 or so ST holders, might get you another player.

Archived