Transfer Window Worries

Ninos

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Kennington Ram said:

Don't think we need to buy too many, but if there's a quality right back out there (like Paterson) I don't see the issue. Christie is potentially out for another couple of months yet and wasn't terrific before his injury... Baird is great, but at 34 going on 35 there's always a chance he'll just break down before the end of the season, especially if he is playing every game.

Seen us linked with Paterson but can't find much info on him ,, is he a forward thinking pace wingback type or the more traditional defence minded fullback?

Just now, archied said:

Seen us linked with Paterson but can't find much info on him ,, is he a forward thinking pace wingback type or the more traditional defence minded fullback?

In the reporting after our interest in him, he seemed to be a more forward thinking full back, and he has a good goals record lately and seems to have played as a forward previously. But yeah I don't get to (or necessarily want to...) watch much Scottish football so it's all based on those YouTube goals videos, which in fairness would make Connor Sammon look good, ya know?

3 minutes ago, Kennington Ram said:

In the reporting after our interest in him, he seemed to be a more forward thinking full back, and he has a good goals record lately and seems to have played as a forward previously. But yeah I don't get to (or necessarily want to...) watch much Scottish football so it's all based on those YouTube goals videos, which in fairness would make Connor Sammon look good, ya know?

I'd read that he is a converted striker so that he still gets forward and scores from the fullback slot

I think we'll keep our powder dry until the end of January and see where we're at. 

During January we've got players like Thorne, Blackman and Christie coming back from injury which could negate the need for signings in those positions. On the other hand season ending injuries could affect other positions and without the loan window, that would need to be addressed. 

1 hour ago, coneheadjohn said:

Personally I would love to see him come good and get a go as the number 9.

All the evidence points against.

In which case we should do nothing transfer wise.

If mac doesn't think he can do anything with him then we should bring a striker in,probably on loan,but it's going to be tough to bring someone in who could be third choice.

I've got a feeling we might sell one or two and bring a couple in.

I have no worries about anything to do with Derby at this point tbh.

Agreed with the last bit mate. I'm the same not worried about it. 

I am in the camp of let's not bother but if a gem is available then you do get it if you can.

right back we do seem to need cover if it is good enough and Christie is out of contract? 

centre forward - well a lot of that revolves around Martin if he comes back so be it if not what can mac get out of Blackman? 

I don't see the point in just spending big on average players and January can be a very dodgy time to buy.

3 hours ago, Ninos said:

First time ever and I don't want any players in. Sell a few maybe. But I'm getting very worried that we will actually buy players this window and upset this apple cart.

Do we really need anyone in at this point with the way we are going? 

If we bring in the right players, with the right character, we'll be rate.

One class goalscorer, maybe a winger, and right back cover. That's all I'm asking for for Christmas.

A forward who can hold it up, drop short and run in behind. Someone like Afobe. I like Bent but he won't score at least 15-20 goals this season like Gayle will for Newcastle or Murray will for Brighton and I don't think he has the fitness to either.We are missing a striker who can score to take the pressure off Ince(whose current form won't last forever)

I think we need another striker. Bent was back to his old self last night - offside all thee time, jumping under the ball and Vydra wasn't up to much when he came on annd I haven't seen much from him to suggest he's the answer to our goalscoring problems.

Come home Chrissy.

11 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

Jordan Rhodes please Santa. Put that Chris Martin money to good use.

Edit - assuming he is sold, which looks likely.

No thank you - he just isn't the type of striker we need if it's a permanent replacement for Martin. He obviously doesn't work in the Boro system and he wouldn't in ours either.

Mac pulled a rabbit out of a hat when he signed Ibe on loan - someone to go straight into the team and improve it. I'd welcome something like that, other than that not overly bothered. Given McClaren's record in the loan market, I'd trust him to deliver what we need.

A real top class striker for sure. I'd taken Martin back - he fits our style better but if one is available I'd go and get them. If you think how we play, Hughes and Butterfield do not 'charge on' like Bryson does (used to!). Therefore the striker who holds the ball up isn't as important now. So give me a Dwight Gayle equivalent with the genuine pace to get in and beyond then I'd be happy as larry.

We're winning games but bar Wolves first half and Forest second half (didn't see Rotherham) have we genuinely been that good? Eventually we won't get results with how we are playing. Yes I love the form of Baird at the moment and he's proving people wrong, but this is still an area longer term to improve.

So if Mac see's players he genuinely thinks will enhance our squad/first team - go and get them.

Archived