Transfer Window Worries

Ninos

8 hours ago, Ninos said:

First time ever and I don't want any players in. Sell a few maybe. But I'm getting very worried that we will actually buy players this window and upset this apple cart.

Do we really need anyone in at this point with the way we are going? 

Agreed. I would have thought we have plenty of options from within.

There is enough quality back up amongst the players currently on the periphery. Shackell, Weimann, Vydra, Hanson, Camara, Blackman, Bryson, Mitchell, Grant (!).  They all deserve their chance. Steve has shown that he can get the best out of players when round plugs are put into round holes.

Then  there's the Academy. What is the point of having it if we just end up buying players ? Dawson, Vernan, Elsick come to mind.

Finally, haven't we got a couple of former first teamers coming back from injury - Thorne and Christie ?

If I was Mel, I would be saying : continue to get the value out of players we have signed in the past who haven't yet shown it, or had a chance to show it.

This is what builds team spirit and soul in the club, not by bringing in expensive players who displace current well performing first teamers and  force the rest yet another rung down the ladder and make graduation from the Academy to the first team only a distant dream. Give players belief that they can get a run in the team and will stay in it long enough to prove themselves.

Even if some really excellent players came up ( Andre Gray , Grant Leadbitter ?) their cost would be prohibitive. 

Dont engage in the window circus is my advice. Keep Calm and Carry On.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. We need a top quality centre back in case one of Keogh/Pearce gets injured. And that's Shackell.

May go at end of season if we need the money to get a new striker or whatever and we then bring in someone else as cover.  But we won;t sell him in Jan I don't think

3 hours ago, Mistaram said:

Having been to Wigan and QPR I think we need a couple in They were both very lucky wins we created very little in either game Striker and midfielder would do us 

Aye up mate.. How's it going?

I assume you are the same Mista from DCM?

2 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

I don't think for one moment that Martin will return and I'm OK with that but let's not denigrate his contribution to one of the most entertaining Rams sides in the last 10 years. He was not the reason why we have failed to get promotion in the last 3 seasons, no matter how hard you try to prove otherwise.

i am not trying to prove anything its just my opinion and i think martin has a great talent as a  proific goal scorer but as i say i think the team looks to be well balanced now and  i love the clean sheets im not blaming martin for anything he has been a good player for derby and a free transfer to boot but we move on

If anything I'd look to the loan market with agreed fees in the summer if deciding to buy. This has served us well in the past with several players.

loans are good as we have bent and Baird out of contact in the summer to name 2 and they are probably the 2 positions we don't have enough cover for.

blackman is probably the best CF we have to play the role Steve wants a CF to play. He can hold it up, lay it off and has a bit more pace than Martin. Bents done well as he's kept it simple. Controlled it, layed it off and moved into space. We need someone in that ilk with some height for flick ons for our wide plays to run onto.

18 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

blackman is probably the best CF we have to play the role Steve wants a CF to play. He can hold it up, lay it off and has a bit more pace than Martin.

So he has more pace than Martin? As for the rest, ha ha ha ha ha!

If we are serious we need other strikers besides Bent and Vydra. Blackman does not fit the bill.

6 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Martin did work in the system used by McClaren otherwise where do you think most of the 52 goals scored since his permanent transfer came from? His barren spell was mostly under the management of Wassall and most recently, Pearson.

So letting goals in and not winning anything was also down to Martin.

I think people forget that it wasn't just Martin that got injured over that losing period,we also lost bucko at the same time which was the main reason we started shipping goals in.......losing both of them broke our defence down at exactly the wrong time.

9 hours ago, YouRams said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see a few teams test the water for Pearce. Not seen as solid a centre back at Derby in years. Another championship team of the week entrance for him after the QPR game. 

The defensive stats are incredible and that itself is sure to alert teams not just in England. Is it Keogh is it Carson is it pearce will be what they are asking - and theyll know the constant has been Keogh.

13 hours ago, Andrew James said:

Maybe, he seems to have lost his pass and move and shooting. But maybe he enjoys being a sub and would love to be a part of the squad if we got promoted. 

This is one of the most out of touch comments. First he hasn't lost squat except his place. Second, why would any professional footballer let alone someone or Bryson's pedigree enjoy being a sub, and just part of a squad. He's not a 16 year old academy player .

9 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I think people forget that it wasn't just Martin that got injured over that losing period,we also lost bucko at the same time which was the main reason we started shipping goals in.......losing both of them broke our defence down at exactly the wrong time.

Correct to a point, but you forgot key loss #3 - we were also left with no holding midfielder with Thorne, Eustace & Mascarell all injured.

When I saw this title I thought it was worried about any offers coming in, like for our Jeff (I still love you).

Do you think we'll be knocking anyone back this Jan? I'm not saying I want rid of anyone, but Ince's recent form must have raised a few eyebrows, likewise with Will supposedly refusing a new contract.

13 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Correct to a point, but you forgot key loss #3 - we were also left with no holding midfielder with Thorne, Eustace & Mascarell all injured.

Yes, in my opinion Thorne and Eustace were the key losses.

Can't see Ince leaving in January though.

Try to sell Weimann, Blackman and Camara and buy or loan a top drawer LW with a lot of pace. 

Beyond that, it depends who is available. I would be happy with be bought or loaned a full back on either side but only of they clearly improve on what we have. Quality not quantity.  

3 hours ago, Ninos said:

The defensive stats are incredible and that itself is sure to alert teams not just in England. Is it Keogh is it Carson is it pearce will be what they are asking - and theyll know the constant has been Keogh.

They all deserve credit, Baird, Lowe and Olsson included. But for me decent CB's are a dying breed and Pearce at 28 you'd say is reaching his prime. If he continues with this form he's the most desireable transfer target imo. 

5 minutes ago, YouRams said:

They all deserve credit, Baird, Lowe and Olsson included. But for me decent CB's are a dying breed and Pearce at 28 you'd say is reaching his prime. If he continues with this form he's the most desireable transfer target imo. 

You're right. He's still underrated on this forum. To say he's been brilliant would be a gross understatement. His performances then you add his leadership eloquence and heart. AmaZing. But the defence has been steadfast the entire season even pre Mac and you have to give Keogh Carson the lot some credit, maybe reluctantly Pearson too. On defensive set pieces we look the best I've seen in forever. 

Archived