Transfer Window Worries

Ninos

First time ever and I don't want any players in. Sell a few maybe. But I'm getting very worried that we will actually buy players this window and upset this apple cart.

Do we really need anyone in at this point with the way we are going? 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Ninos said:

First time ever and I don't want any players in. Sell a few maybe. But I'm getting very worried that we will actually buy players this window and upset this apple cart.

Do we really need anyone in at this point with the way we are going? 

A striker?

If I'm honest I'm not sure we do need to buy anyone , before this spell of maybe 6 games I felt there were positions where we needed cover but the players coming in to cover injuries (and the brad switch )have done so well I'm questioning whether those out injured can expect to walk right back into the first team ? Possibly a really best we can afford left wingback? Lowe is young and seems a little fragile injury wise at this stage ? Fuzzy out and Olsen is decent but if I were Mac and Mel with one eye on promotion and buying the odd player of real quality to push for promotion and be prem quality if /when we go up that's the area I would spend in Jan but only on the right player who would be a real step up in quality with young Lowe as understudy and learning from

Imagine there will be a lot of people disagreeing with this, after all its only 3 months ago that these players were written off as bottlers that had peaked 3 years ago and had been found out by the rest of the league.

Not to forget the awful recruitment of players like Baird, Pearce, Johnson and Ince that don't fit into our team.

Based on the above I am expecting to hear from a lot of people that will want 14 or 15 new faces still.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Imagine there will be a lot of people disagreeing with this, after all its only 3 months ago that these players were written off as bottlers that had peaked 3 years ago and had been found out by the rest of the league.

Not to forget the awful recruitment of players like Baird, Pearce, Johnson and Ince that don't fit into our team.

Based on the above I am expecting to hear from a lot of people that will want 14 or 15 new faces still.

Ah but we are Derby fans and want to win every game in style ( myself included) but in the cold light of day when you reflect properly we have added steel and experience to a talented squad as time and the opportunity for certain players to get a run in the side and show what they bring is now showing ,, first and foremost Pearce is quietly going about making his name first on the team sheet ? Absolute rock , brilliant attitude and temperament ,it's no coincidence our defensive bite and solidity matches his inclusion as a regular ,,, the brad switch is a master stroke ,he may not be as silky as George t but buy Christ he has some real bite ,he is a terrier in a Rottweiler s body and his power in the air is a massive plus in that role and again experienced , Baird brings that solid game reading and calm experience too , long term our style of play may call for more of a wingback but this is now and he gives us something different from Cyrus ,, all in all we do have a very good squad for the job in hand in motivated and used properly and this run of results with Mac at the helm also may be going a long way towards bonding the newer players in the squad with the longer serving ones ,, new striker? Let's be honest we all love a new striker coming in so wouldn't complain if a good quality one was brought in ( before I'm bombarded I won't complain if Martin is brought back) but I have a feeling Mac has a little plan going with his early use of vydra and I think we will at some point see vydra explode onto the first team ,, exciting times again people

Difficult one really. I fancy you'll see a couple of extra new faces in just to bolster things and keep everyone honest.

For me ... an extra option up front, to give Benty and Vydra some additional support, and a new face to cover for Baird on loan. A couple out the door on loan perhaps?

Nothing drastic.

With no loan window I would like to see at least 1 player in, a striker, to cover if we get any injuries. If Bent or Vydra are injured we only have Vernam (who I rate highly) or one of the wide players that like to think they are strikers (Russell, Weimann and Blackman) 

Personally I'd like to see any other signings, other than Paterson, be on loan.  We've got a bloated squad as it is and I can't see too many outgoings due to the high wages the likes of Wiemann are on.

I'll probably get shot for suggesting this but what about Bamford in til the end of the season???

7 minutes ago, rynny said:

With no loan window I would like to see at least 1 player in, a striker, to cover if we get any injuries. If Bent or Vydra are injured we only have Vernam (who I rate highly) or one of the wide players that like to think they are strikers (Russell, Weimann and Blackman) 

You don't think Blackman could play a role as that central striker backup - a position which he seems never to have played ever since being brought in even though that's his proper pos? His only fault has been his horrendous runs of missed shots but they've mostly been from range. Perhaps he'd thrive in the role as an alt to Bent and Vydra.

23 minutes ago, Ninos said:

You don't think Blackman could play a role as that central striker backup - a position which he seems never to have played ever since being brought in even though that's his proper pos? His only fault has been his horrendous runs of missed shots but they've mostly been from range. Perhaps he'd thrive in the role as an alt to Bent and Vydra.

Personally I would love to see him come good and get a go as the number 9.

All the evidence points against.

In which case we should do nothing transfer wise.

If mac doesn't think he can do anything with him then we should bring a striker in,probably on loan,but it's going to be tough to bring someone in who could be third choice.

I've got a feeling we might sell one or two and bring a couple in.

I have no worries about anything to do with Derby at this point tbh.

I'm not clamouring for anyone to come in,we have a really solid squad now with cover for just about all of our positions....my only wish is for Martin to come back so we have a full set of options for our centre forwards position...... Bent has been great but he can't play 90 minutes every game,he will be knackered and whilst vydra is a great disruptive sub,we can't rely on him for goals yet......imagine if bent and ince got injured at the moment,we would suddenly be scratching around for goals again.

Its vital we get him back if not we need another proven goal scorer in Martin's image in and I'm sure Mac knows this...

41 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Personally I'd like to see any other signings, other than Paterson, be on loan.  We've got a bloated squad as it is and I can't see too many outgoings due to the high wages the likes of Wiemann are on.

I'll probably get shot for suggesting this but what about Bamford in til the end of the season???

I completely disagree that the squad is 'bloated' - what we have is cover for key positions, and players capable of making an impact towards the end of the game when they come off the bench.

34 minutes ago, Ninos said:

It is a difficult one but I see him as wide player. I have not seen anything from him to suggest he can play as a centre forward, he has missed some terrible chances since he has been here. I also think he is too greedy to be a loan striker, don't get me wrong, greediness is a good thing but not when he wants to take on the whole team from the half way line, especially when a team mate is free. which is why I see him as a poor man's Ince, just taller.

Having said all that, Mac could get him to look up, play passes and improve his overall game, and get him to stop shooting when he can just about see the goal! The occasional long shot is fine but not almost every time you get to edge of the box. I hate calling our own players, and picking out faults and to be fair to him, he has never had a decent run in the team, with players around him settled.

I would not buy anyone. I think by the end of the season it's important to determine whether fringe players such as Weimann, Blackman, Camara, Hanson, Anya, even Vydra and until very recently, Darren Bent, are worth keeping hold of. Some of these have been in the category of "I think there may be more to come from them" for too long. They are all likely to get games at some point in the season and need to prove their value as many of them are high earners and we cannot afford to have people earning 20k a week on the bench.

In the striking role, I think that Vydra is a good player but lacks the aerial ability to win high balls, which Bent has been very good at recently, and unfortunately may not be suitable as a first choice.

Don't think we need to buy too many, but if there's a quality right back out there (like Paterson) I don't see the issue. Christie is potentially out for another couple of months yet and wasn't terrific before his injury... Baird is great, but at 34 going on 35 there's always a chance he'll just break down before the end of the season, especially if he is playing every game.

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

Ha ha ha ha ha! I see why you don't rate Chris Martin now!

We are woefully short of good strikers, Bent won't play every game and Vydra hasn't really set the game alight yet. Come home Martin!

Archived