Jordan Rhodes - Signed for Sheff Wed

Animal is a Ram

I'll trust Mel and Sam not to **** us up with regard to FFP, which is probably verging on a dead duck anyway. It's all gone quiet on QPR, and I don't believe it'd stand up to a determined legal challenge anyway...or surely the league would have sunk QPR by now?

Where I slightly worry is with the potential for us to piss money away. Rhodes scores goals, but, £12m? In our side? ********.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first feeling :Another failed prem league player for silly money just at a time we are rolling like a steam train. Sako I get (because he was unstoppable out wide ala Antonio) bit do we want to be stuck yet again paying big money for anyone that has not continued to succeed. Isn't this Vydra all over again ? Apple cart Apple cart! 

3 hours ago, eddie said:

If you buy a player, that is written down over the length of the contract.

If you sell a player, the whole fee is entered into the books immediately for FFP purposes.

So basically selling Hendrick brought in £10m, but buying Vydra and Anya for the same price overall would still leave +£7m on the balance sheet for this year.

Whilst true from an FFP perspective, from a cash flow perspective unless the fee for Hendrick is all received up front, there is no surplus cash available for New signings.

8 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Based on the fact that in 2014 we lost £10m and since then have signed players for fees in excess of £30m, who I would also imagine are on decent wages.

Also see Financial Matters thread in Rams Talk. 

Not an expert on FFP but believe we must be close to limits, just a hunch though.

Mel insured the players so Butterfield and Johnson will not impact on FFP as much as the insurance for Hughes and Bryson will offset this.

8 hours ago, eddie said:

If you buy a player, that is written down over the length of the contract.

If you sell a player, the whole fee is entered into the books immediately for FFP purposes.

So basically selling Hendrick brought in £10m, but buying Vydra and Anya for the same price overall would still leave +£7m on the balance sheet for this year.

But we've also got a quarter of all of those 4 year deals signed under clement to go on to this years FFP. If we're to believe they cost circa £20m then that's another 5m onto our perceived expenditure in the eyes of FFP.

Then we take into account a quarter of the Thorne fee from 2 summers back. Probably another £500k minimum. 

That £7m excess doesn't exist.

This summer we were roughly flat on transfer spend.

In: Albentosa (1mn), Hendrick (10.5mn), Loan fee for Martin (2.5mn), Shotton (500k), Grant loan fee (? 100k?), Bucko - nominal. Total: 14.5mn

Out: Vydra (8mn), Anya (6mn), Wilson loan fee (>?) approx: 14mn

Mel also allows us to go into a loss for the maximum amount permitted under FFP and he covers that with an equity injection.  I think I read somewhere that the amount we can lose is £13mn a season? However, we are already losing around £10mn (G Star Ram could confirm) a season because our wage bill is so high.  So that means we don't have much left to play with,

I'm pretty sure the reason we loaned Martin for a fee with a balance in the summer (rather than a straight sale) is because we didn't want a surplus of cash this year; i.e. we wanted the cash to arrive in the next season so it could be used towards next season's transfers and help next season's FFP balance

That, of course, was when we didn't think we needed any more players this season.  I still don't think we need any more personally.

But if we do, then I think the only way we can get new players in is if we either persuade Fulham to pay up early for Martin (maybe by giving them a discount of a £1mn). Sales of Grant, Russell etc might cover a Lansbury fee but won't get near a Rhodes fee.

There is no surplus to play with right now of any sizeable amount (and all this stuff about players fees being amortised over the length of their contracts is right. But it applies to sales as well as buys and so cancels out)

1 hour ago, King Kevin said:

Mel insured the players so Butterfield and Johnson will not impact on FFP as much as the insurance for Hughes and Bryson will offset this.

The insurance covered wages only, not transfer fees.

The £10m fees put an extra £2.5m on our losses per season,  plus any excess between BJ/JB and WH/CB wages.

5 minutes ago, feisty said:

This summer we were roughly flat on transfer spend.

In: Albentosa (1mn), Hendrick (10.5mn), Loan fee for Martin (2.5mn), Shotton (500k), Grant loan fee (? 100k?), Bucko - nominal. Total: 14.5mn

Out: Vydra (8mn), Anya (6mn), Wilson loan fee (>?) approx: 14mn

Mel also allows us to go into a loss for the maximum amount permitted under FFP and he covers that with an equity injection.  I think I read somewhere that the amount we can lose is £13mn a season? However, we are already losing around £10mn (G Star Ram could confirm) a season because our wage bill is so high.  So that means we don't have much left to play with,

I'm pretty sure the reason we loaned Martin for a fee with a balance in the summer (rather than a straight sale) is because we didn't want a surplus of cash this year; i.e. we wanted the cash to arrive in the next season so it could be used towards next season's transfers and help next season's FFP balance

That, of course, was when we didn't think we needed any more players this season.  I still don't think we need any more personally.

But if we do, then I think the only way we can get new players in is if we either persuade Fulham to pay up early for Martin (maybe by giving them a discount of a £1mn). Sales of Grant, Russell etc might cover a Lansbury fee but won't get near a Rhodes fee.

There is no surplus to play with right now of any sizeable amount (and all this stuff about players fees being amortised over the length of their contracts is right. But it applies to sales as well as buys and so cancels out)

There is a difference between accounting losses and FFP losses and I am not aware that this can be calculated just by looking at the accounts.

I also believe there is a limit on the equity injection available to offset against losses. Got £5m in my head but could be way off here.

Since the last accounts, I would estimate out net transfer spend to be around £25m. Accounts say our transfer fees are paid over 4 years so that is circa £6m per year plus the wages of those players.

Doesn't take a genius to estimate how much out losses have increased since June 2015.

With not much scope for increasing out income, it was no surprise to see us finally cashing in on some of our assets.

Can we not just loan him with a view to buy at the end of the season?

a loan would suit us. Rhodes is a quality championship player but i reckon he isnt prem gravy, like a nugent. Paying boro a mil or so to loan until the end of the season is worth it if he gets is out of the division  

6 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Whilst true from an FFP perspective, from a cash flow perspective unless the fee for Hendrick is all received up front, there is no surplus cash available for New signings.

I was only speaking from a FFP perspective.

49 minutes ago, feisty said:

I would be more confident about getting these new signings if I'd heard rumours of someone other than Grant leaving?

Rumours are unreliable bullshit intended to sell papers or encourage clicks.

8 minutes ago, Derbyram1983 said:

How can his value go up? They buy him for £9 he doesn't get a chance to prove himself in the premier league and now his value is £12m its bull

Middlesbrough played a blinder signing him last season. He scored the goals that ultimately won them the points that got them promoted. The value of him as a player at this level is in his ever-consistent goal scoring record.

I quite frankly don't give a monkeys whether he can play in the Premier League at this stage. We haven't been a premier league club for nearly 10 years. If we get there and he can't make the jump, it's likely his vale will still be high due to his goal scoring record. Championship clubs will line up to buy him. 

4 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Middlesbrough played a blinder signing him last season. He scored the goals that ultimately won them the points that got them promoted. The value of him as a player at this level is in his ever-consistent goal scoring record.

I quite frankly don't give a monkeys whether he can play in the Premier League at this stage. We haven't been a premier league club for nearly 10 years. If we get there and he can't make the jump, it's likely his vale will still be high due to his goal scoring record. Championship clubs will line up to buy him. 

Completely agree, to be honest if he gets the goals that gets us promotion, we would need another 6 or 7 players anyway, as we are currently not good enough for the Prem. But we can worry about that in the summer.

Archived