Jordan Rhodes - Signed for Sheff Wed

Animal is a Ram

Derby County are one of five Championship clubs monitoring Jordan Rhodes' situation at Middlesbrough, according to a report.

The Daily Mail says the Rams, Aston Villa, Sheffield Wednesday, Norwich City and Brighton are interested in the 26-year-old striker should he become available in January.

Hull City, Burnley and Celtic are also being linked with the former Blackburn Rovers' frontman.

Middlesbrough boss Aitor Karanka has confirmed Rhodes can leave Middlesbrough if the player wishes although Karanka insists he knows nothing about reported interest in Rhodes from other clubs.

Boro would be keen to recoup the £9m they spent on him in January.

Derby have been linked with Rhodes previously and he has a proven scoring record at Championship level.

Rhones has made only four Premier League appearances this season including three from the bench.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/transfer-news-derby-county-one-of-five-championship-clubs-interested-in-this-striker/story-29957856-detail/story.html#Ld7flZu0AFEMywu3.99

I'd rather not, especially if Boro want at least to break even.

Can't believe he's only 26, though.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My issue would be that we aren't currently creating hateful of chances which the CF isn't then converting.

Our current situation is that we are carving out wins based on graft and good defending.

Rhodes relies on good service into the box but does little else.

He won't put in the effort that Vydra and Bent show.

This would leave us with three players up front who largely wait for things to happen and put pressure on the remaining 8.

I would have him 9 mil is a lot though. Bent isn't getting any younger and Vydra might come good but isn't doing all that will at the moment. But if Martin goes for good in jan then i would make a move for Rhodes, on loan at the very least. 

I bet someone would be desperate enough though to throw £10 mil at him and be done with it i.e Villa.

"Does nothing but score goals" - :p isn't that what you need to win games? 

We should go for Ighalo on loan if we are so content on bringing a striker in. Barely starting at Watford, needs a new challenge to get going again and reunited with his mates Vydra and Anya.

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

My issue would be that we aren't currently creating hateful of chances which the CF isn't then converting.

Our current situation is that we are carving out wins based on graft and good defending.

Rhodes relies on good service into the box but does little else.

He won't put in the effort that Vydra and Bent show.

This would leave us with three players up front who largely wait for things to happen and put pressure on the remaining 8.

I don't think I would spend 9 mill on him but his scoring record in the Championship speaks for itself. Someone who can nick a goal in close, tight games is always useful to have. I reckon he might well have put away the 3 or 4 gilt-edged chances that Vydra has missed over the last couple of months...

14 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I don't think I would spend 9 mill on him but his scoring record in the Championship speaks for itself. Someone who can nick a goal in close, tight games is always useful to have. I reckon he might well have put away the 3 or 4 gilt-edged chances that Vydra has missed over the last couple of months...

I think you're probably right about the chances.

What I'm saying is that we might be under more pressure in games if the front three don't put a shift in.

No good Rhodes scoring the one in every 2-1 defeat.

With his scoring record, there must be a good reason why bigger clubs don't want him and why, having spent  £10M on him, Middlesbrough don't start him.

Archived