Jordan Rhodes - Signed for Sheff Wed

Animal is a Ram

Just now, Gandalf's shin pads said:

Yes, unfortunately I was thinking the same on your last point. Even with the injuries we have we are still relatively flush in the centre which may indicate we are looking at moving someone out. Suppose it could be Hanson or Bryson but Lansbury is more in the 'Hughes' mould than either of those. Still, all speculation at this point I suppose...

Could well be Bryson (maybe to Burton) but I don't think Lansbury would come here to sit on our bench :/ really might be worth keeping an eye on how this evolves. Wouldn't be surprised at all (after the contract stuff) if this is the window Hughes finally goes :( 

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Could well be Bryson (maybe to Burton) but I don't think Lansbury would come here to sit on our bench :/ really might be worth keeping an eye on how this evolves. Wouldn't be surprised at all (after the contract stuff) if this is the window Hughes finally goes :( 

Mac said that the contract are ongoing for Hughesy and it'll be sorted in time. 

35 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Seeing as we are looking at netting just under £20m from Hendrick & Martin deals (when made permanent) plus incoming money for Lee Grant, we're sat pretty comfortably, and can probably afford the players we're being linked with. Rhodes and Sako links don't surprise me at all, as they are areas we need to strengthen

That seems to assume that we are receiving all of our transfer fees upfront whereas we know we tend to pay ours in instalments.

I would say we are far from comfortable and would need more incoming fees and wages off the bill to make these signings viable.

Rhodes gets a hard deal by our fans. He scores goals without fail. He may not be Martin in terms of all round contribution. However, he's a lot better in front of goal. He scored more goals in a worse teams.

He also isn't incapable of playing for the team either. It's not all or nothing. It's just not his main strength. 

He doesn't look to run beyond the defenders like Bent, which should suit us. 

24 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

That seems to assume that we are receiving all of our transfer fees upfront whereas we know we tend to pay ours in instalments.

I would say we are far from comfortable and would need more incoming fees and wages off the bill to make these signings viable.

Based on what?

11 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Based on what?

Based on the fact that in 2014 we lost £10m and since then have signed players for fees in excess of £30m, who I would also imagine are on decent wages.

Also see Financial Matters thread in Rams Talk. 

Not an expert on FFP but believe we must be close to limits, just a hunch though.

1 minute ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

McClaren emphasised in his interview while back that we'll look to do something if it comes up, and emphasised the loan market. Something must have seriously changed to be spending this sort of money, surely.

Will?

That's what I thought r.e the Lansbury thing. I was thinking of midfielders who could go to make room for Lansbury, because numbers wise we don't really need another CM who can't really play the holding role. Bryson potentially, Butters probably not and then I thought of Young William. I'd be gutted if he went, but even more gutted if we used the money and wasted it. There would be a lot of pressure on the players who came in using the Hughes money as it's unlikely we'll see an academy product as good as him for a little while again.

4 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

McClaren emphasised in his interview while back that we'll look to do something if it comes up, and emphasised the loan market. Something must have seriously changed to be spending this sort of money, surely.

Will?

Mac said that the club and Hughesy are in talks about the contract, which is will be sorted in time. 

I think Bryson could be the one to go? 

16 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Will?

If you buy a player, that is written down over the length of the contract.

If you sell a player, the whole fee is entered into the books immediately for FFP purposes.

So basically selling Hendrick brought in £10m, but buying Vydra and Anya for the same price overall would still leave +£7m on the balance sheet for this year.

Archived